Independent Renault Forums banner

2.2 DCI - Engine rattle at idle _any ideas

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mcphee1964 
#1 ·
I bought this Espace III 2002 DCI 2.2 from our main dealer(ugh) a year ago with 70,000 on the clock. It has a rattle from the front end of the engine only at tick-over which disappears at about 1200RPM, and also when the engine is cold. It is not getting worse.
Three Renault dealers have no idea.

So far I have eliminated:
a) The timing belt, pulley and tensioner (all new):
b) Accessories belt and accessories by removing the belt:
c) Crankshaft pulley by removing it:
d) Water pump by removing its pinion.

It could be a rocker hydaulic adjuster sticking, or crakshaft end bearing possibly (very expensive).
Anyone any ideas, or helpful hints - other than get rid....?

used to be a renault lover...had new EGR, Turbo, Broken wiring ?, Radiator, Intercooler, Flooded under the carpet - never ends:( .

Roger

See less See more
#2 ·
I had this on my Lag

I tried the basics first and found that one of the many plastic covers within the engine compartment had worn out its clip

A liberal amount of pressure, a scraped knuckle and a cable tie and all is again quiet on the western front.

Have a root around - you've probably already discounted this, but then again..........

#3 ·
Hope you haven't got wot I got.....

Dear huntscraft - here's a post I put in the For Sale forum. My Espace shook rather than rattled at tickover but smoothed out when accelerating. I've now p/exd with a dealer.

"Does anybody know if someone is interested in my Grand Espace Priviledge 2.2 dCi 2002 '02 lying injured at my main dealer? It's 5-speed manual, average condition 42k miles dark grey metallic. Engine was vibrating at tickover which I have now been told is due to warped cylinder head and damaged piston ring in one cylinder. Whilst doing the compression test one glow plug sheared in the head. It's £3k at the dealer to fix and £6.5k for a new engine! It's a shame because the last four years have been great. Any advice greatfully received.......".

#4 ·
Hi, The 2.2 DCI rattle was not cured by replacing the dual mass flywheel (Dual mass clutch), but this cured crunchy gear changes as there was a lot of play in it and the springs had compressed. Also new DMF made the engine smoother at low revs.
Does not seem to be the gear chain. Current thinking is the pressure in the Common Rail is maxed out instead of low pressure when idling, and this is due to Regulator fault, Sensor fault, or HP pump problems in that order. Have ordered spare parts and will change them to check out.

#6 ·
No it is ot the tie-bar - had the engine out and replaced the DMF (DMC) and checked all the gears in the chain from crank to pump, replaced water pump (gear driven) and re-furbed all the injectors (engine actually runs very well now) apart from the rattle which comes from the HP fuel pump - you can detect the source easily using an engine stethascope readily available in the car shops for few quid.
Noise is probably the pump labouring to pump max fuel at max pressure at idle and this is overloading the pre-load spring on the dual pinion which drives it. At increased revs the noise disappears as the pump can now copes OK.
Also engine rattles the belts if you take off from idle speed due to the injectors having 1600 bar instead of 300 bar for a quiet idle and smooth take-off. Also get excessive carbon on the EGR (Need to clean it every three months), in the exhaust build-up, and when aceelerating, which all point to over-injection and poor burn due to rail pressure bieing too high - in the end there is a safetly bleed-off at 1600 bar if the regulation fails and this is where mine car sits all the time probably. Normal range is 300 bar at idle to 1300 bar with pedal to the metal.
Got the idea from similar problems reported on the Volvo site.
Huntscraft

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.