Independent Renault Forums banner

Quick dci egr blanking question

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Chrisd346 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before but even a google search isn't throwing anything up.

I am going to blank my egr valve soon. Do i remove it altogether, both parts, and discard them fitting the blanking plate over the hole or does the blanking plate fit between them both? Have done it before on other cars but never had a 2 part egr before.

Thank you in advance!

#4 ·
Another quick question. Is blanking it of likely to put the engine management light on? Was thinking if it does, would taking the inner part out and fitting the blanking plate and the outer part with the plug socket on it together put the light out. I don't mind the light being on but then if something else happens to cause the light to come on, I wouldn't know.

Thanks again all!

#9 ·
I too remember another member doing such - I think he tied the EGR valve to the bulkhead or somewhere nearby with the wiring still connected. But the EGR valve still has to work OK - that is open and close otherwise the ECU doesn't get any feedback regarding it's position.

#10 ·
On my laguna I left the valve plugged in but rotated it approx 180 degrees in its hole...this allows the valve to operate as normal but it blocks the ports that allow exhaust gasses into the inlet. So the valve opens and closes as normal but no gasses get through....happy days :d

The only problem with doing this is that only one of the bolt holes lines up, but if you place a washer on one of the other bolt holes it presses on the edge of the body of the ERG valve to help hold it in place. (2 bolts in position)

My valve has been like this for a couple of years now with no problems and no warning lights, and no reduced MPG like you get when simply unplugging the valve !

Cheers.

Reactions: Phil48
#14 ·
I didn't think of doing it that way....I turned the whole valve.

Just turning the inner part as you describe is a better idea :cool:

Cheers.

#15 ·
Ok i have this done now. The inner section was a bit stubborn to remove but got it out eventually. I turned it 180 degrees and lined it up with one hole. I turned the outer part the same to line it up with the inner sections holes(is this right) but was only able to fit one bolt as the manifold they fit on was was blocking half of the other 2 holes. Hopefully I've made myself clear enough lol.

Car does feel a little smoother but haven't taken it much more than a few miles so any other benefits remain to be seen.

#16 ·
Turn the inner section so one hole lines up as you have done, but fit the outer section so all 3 bolt holes line up. (in its normal position)

Cheers.

#17 ·
Have now done that, decided to change it as i didn't feel to confident with one bolt holding it on. Its the hole closest to the front of the car that lines up with the inner section if anyone is wondering, at least thats how i worked it. Have all 3 bolts in now anyway.

The gasket managed to spring into the bowels of the engine bay though so must sort that asap! Are the gaskets sold with the blanking plates up to the job does anyone know!

Thanks again for everyones help on this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.