Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Electric Window Problems - Regulator Repairs

346K views 382 replies 181 participants last post by  Derek Unsworth 
#1 ·
Rear o/s window keeps playing up. Sometimes it works fine then other times it goes up and down in stages, not the normal smooth action. Any ideas? I've tried raising the window and then holding the button in up position for 1 second. This works but then it'll do it again. thanks

#2 ·
It seems to be 'losing' its memory by the sounds of it, either the one-touch unit on the the widow motor is faulty, which requires replacement of the whole window regulator assembly, or the window it losing the live feed to it intermittently causing the motor position to reset itself, check the connector at the b pillar with the rear door open for any signs of corrosion etc, hope this helps.....

#5 ·
Electric Window Problem

oh well , hope someone can help.

when i press the electric window switch on the drivers side of my 2002 laguna sports tourer, the window only goes down about 3 or 4 inches then stops. Press it again and it again lowers itself by the same amount, so it takes quite a few goes to lower it fully. The same thing happens when I try to raise the window, it only goes up 3 or 4 inches then stops.

anyone else had this problem ? is it the switch at fault ?

cheers

#302 ·
Re: Electric Window Problem

oh well , hope someone can help.

when i press the electric window switch on the drivers side of my 2002 laguna sports tourer, the window only goes down about 3 or 4 inches then stops. Press it again and it again lowers itself by the same amount, so it takes quite a few goes to lower it fully. The same thing happens when I try to raise the window, it only goes up 3 or 4 inches then stops.

anyone else had this problem ? is it the switch at fault ?

cheers
I have the same problem only wit front passenger window have no idea what the prob is

#6 ·
The One touch as lost its "memory"..
To reset it you must fully close all the windows..
Then pull the two front window switches up simulateously and hold them there for 3 or 4 seconds..

Job done..

#8 ·
WEBCODE, last time I called you a star., now your a god...

spot on again mate. Done what you said and hey presto.... job done.

This of course was caused by me being silly in the first place as I left the car in the station car park with the sidelights on and the battery went flat on thursday.

thanks again and yes selwonk, certainly should be moved to the knowledge base.

G
#9 ·
Sorry not been around few a good few hours. Moved.

Has anyone had the mechanical wires fail or window regulator failures ?

Both my drivers side and now more recently passenger side have gone.

Replacement is not tricky but costly for the parts with the mech and reg going for around £85.

When I get round to doing the pass side I'll post some pictures.

#10 ·
Laguna II - Electric Window Problems - Regulator Repairs

I need to remove the drivers door card on my g/f's 2002 Laguna dCi to check out a problem with the electric window. Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove it?

BTW, what is the problem with the window likely to be? When I press the switch the window makes a "clunk" sound like its attempting to go down but thats all that happens. On rare occasions it works fine. I have also replaced the switch itself (the top was coming off the old one) with a new one from Renault (£28 + VAT :mad: ).

Any help/advice on this subject much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin

#365 ·
Re: Laguna II - Electric Window Problems - Regulator Repairs

I need to remove the drivers door card on my g/f's 2002 Laguna dCi to check out a problem with the electric window. Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove it?

BTW, what is the problem with the window likely to be? When I press the switch the window makes a "clunk" sound like its attempting to go down but thats all that happens. On rare occasions it works fine. I have also replaced the switch itself (the top was coming off the old one) with a new one from Renault (£28 + VAT :mad: ).

Any help/advice on this subject much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin
I have th esame problem Gavin. Window dropped off the runners, but having removed 2 bottom door screws and one behind door catch, Mirror adjuster, quarter light panel, speaker cover, still find the door card is stuck on. Advice on minimal damage for removal please?

G
#11 ·
As an update to this topic.. My friedn from germany has suggested to me that his have gone and I think he will be doing another how to shortly for anyone who suffers the unfortunate fate of broken or frayed elec window cables.

Apparently he beleives the problem may be solved with the use of cable from a bicycle shop ( read - your local halfrauds )

If you have tried the reset technique but the window is making funny noises or not shutting probably then the chances are that the cable has gone or is about to go..

As a temporary measure ( and to ensure the window stays up ) pop down to your local car window replacement place and ask if they have any spare rubber wedges. These little wedges of rubber can be squeezed into the gap between the window and the door frame to provide a temporary degree of insulation.

Having experienced two front window failures and read about more here I can only assume this problem is common and perhaps a weakness of material and the car design. Rather than winge I propose that we find a solution.

Share your experiences on this topic within this post please + offer your solution if you have found one.

G
#13 ·
Sorry gavin it's been a while since I messed with mine but if I remember correctly the door card is held on via torx type screws around the bottom and side edges as well as the hidden door handle screw ( which is a barsteward to refit as it's a nut and bolt affair ). You then have to give it a gently but firm tug to release the push fit plastic plugs. Finally remove the electrical wiring plugs from the underside of the switch and your done. Sounds like your metal wire drive cable is damaged so maybe it's better to leave the job to autoglass or the like..

#14 ·
Laguna II Owner,

I have a problem with the drivers window on my g/f's 2002 dCi Expression. When I press the switch to go up or down the window just makes a click noise (in an attempt to move) but thats all that happens. On rare occasions it does work but not very often. I have also replaced the switch (£28 + VAT) as the top was coming off the old one. Have you any ideas what the problem may be? Should I try the reset technique or is it likely to be more serious? Also, how do I remove the door card and if I had it removed would I be able to see the problem?

Sorry for all the questions :eek:

Thanks in advance

Gavin

Reactions: Fat Al
#15 · (Edited)
****Update****

Managed to remove the door card this evening (boy is it bloody well stuck on with that strip of sticky stuff around the edge!) and take a look at what is happening.

When I try to put the window down I can feel the glass jerk slightly but it doesn't budge. I can also see one of the cables which comes out of the motor move slightly also. However if I place my hands on both sides of the glass and give it a helping hand (or hands in this case!) it will begin to wind down itself but it moves very slowly and looks like it could stop at any second.

It will go all the way down and then back up again but if I try and put it down again its the same problem, I have to give it a little encouragement!

Is the regualtor likely to be knackered? Is there anything I could lubricate in there to make things run smoothly? How difficult would it be to fit a new regulator if I had to and how much roughly is a new one from Renault?

BTW, I have also tried the reset procedure.

Cheers,

Gavin

EDITED to day I phoned my Renault dealer this morning just to price a regulator, £180 :eek: so I really hope I don't need to buy a new one :(

#16 ·
Thanks Laguna II Owner. I have managed to remove the door card but I'm not really any further forward! If you get a chance to look at my posts in the thread in Laguna Electronics you will know what I mean...

#17 ·
electric windows

i had the same prob with my 2001 dynamic drivers door just before the motor cable snapped, and now the same has happened with the passenger door. i think the the jerking is when the cable starts to frey, jamming the motor. motor unit £215 each plus labour. mine isn't getting done

#18 ·
My Drivers window went on my Lag II. Cables all frayed and knargled up. Rang the local service centre and they got me a replacement the following day. Cost was just over £200, but he was a bit surprised I wanted to do it myself. He quoted me over £120 to fix it.
Most monkeys can do it. Just take the door panel inside off and it's 4 bolts to unscrew the cablework frame. Unclip the window and then reverse to fit back.

Took me about 3/4 hour to do.

G
#20 ·
That is the method for callibrating your windows and may work well if your windows will only "inch" up..

However if you find the window making funny clonky noises internally - returning instead of travelling up to close then chances are your mech is on it's way out. Get the window to return to the fully closed position and LEAVE IT well alone.. Further attempts at opening and close the window will result in DAMAGE to the mechanical parts within the door.

Question :- What normally happens to cause the window to fail ??

Answer :- Initally the cable which drives the system snaps or frays due to corrosion of the cable itself.. ( think bicycle brake cable btw )

Question :- What do I do now

Renault Answer :- Replace Complete Window Regulator Unit please sir that'll be £ :eek: :eek: . :eek: :eek: + VAT - Labour saving technique which increases their profit margin..

Laguna II Owner Answer :- Look to see which parts commonly fail and solve the problem.. A labour intensive repair but ultimately more affordable for your average punter..

I have found a friendly local outfit 20 years in the trade very helpful and picture below have all been taken today at their premises.

Below is a picture showing the regulator mechanism..

The two silver coloured sections are the runners that the window runs up and down on..

The motor is on the right. The motor drives this pulley..

This plastic pulley can become damaged in the event of a cable failure but can be removed and replaced.

Here you can see the new replacement cable fitted to the pulley.

The regulator sits between the inner and outer door skins and is held in place in five locations via a threaded bar and securing nut..

Behind the door card - regulator removed

Behind the door card - regulator in place

Example Fixing hole for regulator..

Another part subject to possible replacement includes this clip which connects the window to the runners.

Hopefully this info is helpful.

I have not complied a complete how to as the job ( to my mind ) is best left to the experts.

However if you in and around the Milton Keynes area ( i,e, herts, beds, bucks ) and you want a professional repair for around a 1/3 of the price of going to Renault please give these guys a call..

Acorn Windscreens

Bletchley Motorist & Trade Centre
V4 Watling Street
Drew Court
West Granby
Milton Keynes
MK6 4AE
UK

T: 01908 366699
E: info@acornwindscreens.com

Link to old acorn website

They also supply window tints, sunroofs to a very high standard, parkig sensors. Ask for Paul and tell them you found them via the forums..

#366 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is the method for callibrating your windows and may work well if your windows will only "inch" up..

However if you find the window making funny clonky noises internally - returning instead of travelling up to close then chances are your mech is on it's way out. Get the window to return to the fully closed position and LEAVE IT well alone.. Further attempts at opening and close the window will result in DAMAGE to the mechanical parts within the door.

Question :- What normally happens to cause the window to fail ??

Answer :- Initally the cable which drives the system snaps or frays due to corrosion of the cable itself.. ( think bicycle brake cable btw )

Question :- What do I do now

Renault Answer :- Replace Complete Window Regulator Unit please sir that'll be £ :eek: :eek: . :eek: :eek: + VAT - Labour saving technique which increases their profit margin..

Laguna II Owner Answer :- Look to see which parts commonly fail and solve the problem.. A labour intensive repair but ultimately more affordable for your average punter..

I have found a friendly local outfit 20 years in the trade very helpful and picture below have all been taken today at their premises.

Below is a picture showing the regulator mechanism..

The two silver coloured sections are the runners that the window runs up and down on..

The motor is on the right. The motor drives this pulley..

This plastic pulley can become damaged in the event of a cable failure but can be removed and replaced.

Here you can see the new replacement cable fitted to the pulley.

The regulator sits between the inner and outer door skins and is held in place in five locations via a threaded bar and securing nut..

Behind the door card - regulator removed

Behind the door card - regulator in place

Example Fixing hole for regulator..

Another part subject to possible replacement includes this clip which connects the window to the runners.

Hopefully this info is helpful.

I have not complied a complete how to as the job ( to my mind ) is best left to the experts.

However if you in and around the Milton Keynes area ( i,e, herts, beds, bucks ) and you want a professional repair for around a 1/3 of the price of going to Renault please give these guys a call..

They also supply window tints, sunroofs to a very high standard, parkig sensors. Ask for Paul and tell them you found them via the forums..
Superb Reply, but Unfortunately the pictures are gone?

#26 ·
Laguna II Owner said:
Can anyone source the pulleys and clips for Lag II windows ?

i.e. any breakers out there ??

Help needed !

Cheers Stu

I only have one drivers side regulator left, It was taken from a badly damanged drivers door, The metal runner channels are bent and twisted but the cables and motor are fine. It is possable to rebuild so Im open to offers for it.

G
#27 ·
Thanks for the pm reply - I am only after the blue clips and the drive pulley so if you could pm me with details of reasonable costs and how to pay I will sort you out with the dosh immediately..

Many thanks

L20 ( Stu )

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.