Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

293K views 507 replies 141 participants last post by  karenlouise1967 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
All Renault Scenic I Phase II owners - please read this thread

Hi again all

My 2000 Renault Scenic's mirrors do not move when I use the control. Can anybody help or know what I should do please?

#2 ·
Hi 3 basic steps

1 Check fuse

2 could be the switch

3 motors very unlikly that both are away at the same time i would start with the fuse and then turning the switch from one side to the other side to see if both sides are working if so happy days if not i would guess its the switch that is below where you operate the mirrors i hope this helps Donald.

#249 ·
Hi there, my 1999 Scenic did the very same. Noticed the burning plastic smell before I tracked it down to the melting switch and loom connector. I presume there must be a door wiring loom which is probably only available from renault or from a scrapped car. Someday I'll maybe get round to fixing it. Ian

#475 ·
Hello , i had the same problem on a 2000 model scenic , i called at the local breakers, got the switch , and as for the plug thingy , i cut it and as much wire as i could with it from the scrap car it came off , to replace the damaged plug . You will need to use some sort of connecters to join it to the door wiring loom . cut and join 1 wire at a time, starting from the same end of the new plug and the old plug , to avoid crossing any wires . don't leave too much spare wire inside the door ,or it could get tangled in the widow winder mechanism . Hope that helps Kev

#10 ·
Rob,

The fuse that your after may well be the same one as for the heated rear windscreen.I say this as when the heated rear windscreen is switched on, the mirrors heat as well.

Have you checked that the heated rear windcreen still works too ?

Worth a look I suppose.

Cheers

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rob go very carefully on this one!! My Scenic 2000 burst into flames last week and has been declared a total write off. It's all down to the door mirror control switch according to the fire brigade who were in attendance to the fire. I am currently processing the issue with Renault UK as I believe it is a fault in the design / manufacture of the vehicle electrical system. They are due to inspect my vehicle on 5th July and I would love to hear more from you on the matter. The worst part of the situation is, because the door mirror electrics are permanently live with the ignition off, the fire started with the vehicle parked on our drive.

I would be grateful if you took this up with Renault UK also as it will add more clout to what I know is a common problem. Their number is 08000 723372. The customer service manager is Alex Phelan and is dealing with my claim.

Please contact me via email :censored: and I will send you photos of my burned out Scenic

Regards

Dave

#12 ·
Crikey, that is serious stuff. Judging by robaultscenics ISO connection he was lucky it didn't end up the same wayalthough the problem is, in all probability, the same.

Maybe Mr Wonky could highlight this thread somehow to enlighten others with potentially the same problem or indeed for others that may have suffered this problem to get into cahoots with one another.
Another fiasco like the Clio bonnet catch me thinks:crazy:

#19 ·
Think of it as a duty of care:rofl:

Anyone got any suggestions what Scenic owners can actually do to check this on their mottahs? Obviously a quick check of the ISO connection would be a start....if it looks anything like the one pictured previously that would set alarm bells ringing:crazy:

#31 ·
Where is the connector?

Is the connector in the door or the dash?

ps on my 2001 scenic I have noticed a single wire & spade connector seem to have become detached and now hanging in the passenger footwell.
The wire is green/yellow and has a fabric cover stitched over.
I cant trace it from my Haynes manual!
Any ideas please?
I cant detect anything not working??

#23 ·
May be worth Scenic 2 owners checking with their local dealer. I would say if an e-mail was sent to RCS by the owners it would then be logged. This would serve 2 purposes:

1. If it's logged and there is a later problem with your car then they can not say they did not know.
2. The more people that log a concern, the nore likely there is to be a recall and mod if needed.

At least I live in hope.

#27 ·
Is this controllable?

I can think of nothing better for my scenic than for it to go to go up in flames - is the problem controllable such that it can happen when there is no risk of injury to anyone? :devil:

(Apologies for my facetiosness to anyone who suffered stress, injury or financial loss due to their scenic bursting into flames)

#37 ·
I can think of nothing better for my scenic than for it to go to go up in flames - is the problem controllable such that it can happen when there is no risk of injury to anyone? :devil:

(Apologies for my facetiosness to anyone who suffered stress, injury or financial loss due to their scenic bursting into flames)

I was just thinking much the same.

After a complete top-end rebuild recently (timing belt went at 119k), electrical problems whenever it rains (orange light comes on, revs shoot up, only drop when braking. and now after the floods this week a flashing orange light where it refuses to turn the immobiliser off until i've locked and unlocked it 10 or 20 times), front wipers turning off when i turn the rear one on, melted plastic headlight connectors, grinding electric windows, broken interior door handles all round, inches of rain in the footwells, juddering clutch... as long as i was alone and didn't have my band gear in the back - i might just throw some marshmallows on and stand well back

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.