Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio 1 - Front Wheel Bearing Change With Pics

110K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  optikonfuzion 
#1 ·
Right, this is one that crops up sometimes and as I had to do one I took some photos.

First identify the appropriate bearing (difficult sometimes on a small car). To do this jack up the front (taking normal precautions) and rotate the wheels listening for a rumble. Also grasp top and bottom of wheel and rock feeling for movement. It should be pretty obvious.

Remove road wheel exposing swivel hub assembly and remove hub nut.

Remove 2 bolts holding brake caliper and tie caliper up to prevent strain on hose.

Remove nut securing track rod end.

Release track rod end from hub.

Undo 2 bolts holding bottom ball joint to wishbone (or split balljoint and remove if splitter to hand)

Remove lower suspension bolts noting that nuts are at rear.

Pull swivel hub away from CV joint.

To replace the bearing you normally need to use either a hydraulic press or a heavy duty vice and suitable drift. I have neither and as the car is in daily use I sourced a 2nd hand swivel hub with new bearing from a breakers for £15.

Refitting is the opposite to dissasembly. However first apply some grease to the CV splines and use threadlock on all nuts. Als it is good practice to replace any nuts bolts that appear worn and to always replace the hub nut.

Refit road wheel, lower car.

Before test driving pump the brakes to centre the pads. Carefully test drive listening for any clunks etc. to indicate loose bolts.

Get cold beer from fridge, boast to other half about your prowess and relax in the knowledge that a dealer would have charged over £100 for 3/4 hours work.

See less See more
#14 ·
Need some helps:eek:

When undo swivel hub, is that possible to do it with the brake disk still on the hub?
Thanks to the previous owner, one of the screw(T40) secured the brake disk is broken and cannot be release...:crazy:

When I am trying to pull swivel hub(with brake disk) away from CV joint, I found the cv joint is sticking on the hub and it seems the driveshaft on the gearbox end will come off... Any tips for do it?

Thanks;)

X X

#19 ·
I recognized that the repairing is not a 'How to do sth' job but a 'How to do sth without sth' job :mad:

Had attempted to knock the hub out with a very very big hammer, fail. Then ran to the hardware shop(one in barras market) to buy a puller, then got the hub out.

Then I still can't drive the outer bearing out of the hub and inner bearing of the swivel hub...
Had try the alternative way in hynes manual, not works.

Will bring the hubs to a workshop to have a try.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

#26 ·
What I did was to use a long wrench, and calculate the torque using my weight(49.9kG) and length.

Touque = weight (kG) x G (m/s^2) x length (m)

When I stand on the right length, the nut will be tighten in right touque.

Had it tested serveral times, I can do the right torque within + - 5% error.

please be aware that G = 9.801

#29 ·
Well as well as an oil change this weekend i'll also be attempting to change the front bearings on my DCI without a machine press.

A few years back I managed it with my Megane Coupe and found the most important thing to remember when you try to bash the old bearing out is to remove the circlip.... :eek: I spent a good hour trying to beat my hub to a pulp before realising I hadn't removed it :loser: once I realised I managed to pop the bearing out with a few minutes of excessive force and the top part of my axle stand as the tubing just happened to fit through the hub perfectly. Fingers crossed i'll manage the Clio's bearings with less trauma but i'll let everyone know on Monday.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.