Independent Renault Forums banner

FAP problem with 1.9dCi Grande Scenic

15K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bwg 
#1 ·
Another FAP problem with a 2007 1.9dCi Grande Scenic. “Regenerate FAP” initially came on whilst abroad in mountainous country so unable to regenerate before it “locked out” and “check injection” and “service” lights came on. Travelled 2,000 miles home without any apparent effect on performance or fuel consumption. Reset by Renault dealer and all seemed OK, he suggested that when the FAP lights up there would be 10 starts before it is “locked out”.
After a further 3,000 miles the FAP light came on. As I was going to do a long run over the weekend I made sure the car was only started 5 times, the 6th start on the morning of the run resulted in a lockout and the check injection, etc.
My questions are:-
1) Is there a definite number of starts before the FAP locks out?
2) Is the number of starts variable in the programming of the ECU?
3) Once the FAP has locked out presumably high speed motoring will not regenerate it as I believe the ECU should pump in extra fuel to hit the required temperatures in the exhaust.
Comments very much appreciated. Car has 50,000 miles under its belt.
By the way fuel consumption is about 48mpg on long runs and 43 as an average including local runs. Possibly driving to achieve a reasonable fuel consumption aggravates the FAP build up!

See less See more
#2 ·
Once the FAP light comes on, the ECU will then log an 'attempt' each time the car is driven as it will try to regenerate the FAP Filter each time. Once it has failed ten times to regenerate the car, thats when the service and check injection lights come - a trip to the dealer or KwikFit or to an independent technician. Dealer costs around £175 for regen - independent technicians do it for about half that cost but please make sure they change the oil and filter after the regen as it needs a oil/filter change. Hope this is useful.

#5 ·
Click on the 'Quick links' on the LHS of the screen, then select 'forum list' (just underneath), then the question can either go in 'Ask the experts' (in the relevant heading), or 'General chat' if its nothing specific.

In both cases - she will need to select 'start a new thread'; include a title, and that's it - post away.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: lucy9530
#6 ·
Thanks for info Kini.
If the FAP/ECU is reset is it possible that a forced re-generation will not be necessary. i.e. the sensors will decide if the re-generation is required straight away or in the future? Engine did not dispaly FAP warning for 10 times which is a bit worrying. Assuming I manage to get this sorted, I'll take it more urgently next time it appears.
If I have more problems with it then removing the filter may be the next step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.