Independent Renault Forums banner

Flange towbar on Scenic MKIII 2012

6K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  PhilD 
#1 ·
I have bought a Scenic MKIII (2012) with rear parking sensors and want to fit a permanent flange style towbar & ball. I will also want to fit a Witter flange plate bike rack mount.
The wiring kit will probably be a "Right Connections" 13 pin kit + add on power cable for 12v power.
My question is .... has anyone fitted any of these and had problems with the reversing sensors seeing the towbar?
Looking at prices & stuff for towbars & wiring kits, I want to get it right first time.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have ordered a Witter flange towbar from PF Jones along with the dedicated 13 pin wiring kit. The caravan power extension kit was included in the price which was a bonus.
I rang them first and they said tape a large cereal box to the rear bumper to imitate the towbar. If it couldn't be seen, neither would the towball and bike mount. ..... It couldn't be seen.... result!
Next thing, wait for a day when I can take half the rear of the car apart, and it's not raining ...
I'll let you know how I get on.

#4 ·
OK .... update ....
I fitted the towbar last Friday. The towbar from Witter is well made, with relatively clear instructions and diagrams. The longest time was getting the rear bumper off the car!
Because the bumper has concealed clips along it's upper edge and is quite flimsy, I was apprehensive on how to approach it. I had bought the Renault workshop manual discs from Ebay to give an idea of the sequence, and with much fiddling with Magnum lolly sticks and a very thin screwdriver I got it off in one piece with no lugs broken. The towbar was easy to fit, and my daughter now knows what a torque wrench is, and how to use it.
The wiring however, is a little more problematic. The kit is a dedicated 13 pin one from Right Connections, and (as far as I can see .... and I have checked, twice!), is fitted correctly. At the moment I have a weird error throwing up .... with no lights lit on the car, the indicators work properly, flashing at normal speed front and back.... However, with side lights/headlights on, the rear indicactors do not work, and the flash rate is twice speed. The dedicated relay control unit clicks away merrily, but no rear indicators.
I have tried a 7 pin trailer board in the socket with a Westfalia adaptor and get no lights on it at all.
I am at a loss at the moment and have left it until tomorrow, when Right Connections should be back at work, and hopefully it will stop raining!
Any ideas from members who have fitted a similar kit to their Scenic would be welcome ...

#6 ·
The kit I used is made specially for the Scenic, with a dedicated wiring loom and an electronic control unit that interfaces between the normal wiring and the trailer board.
I finished putting it together last night, but had to stop when it got dark. It's raining today, so I can't play with it.
When it stops .... probably Wednesday, according to the weather forecast ..... I'll have another look.

#7 ·
What make wiring kit did you get? Wittier bars in my opinion are the best on the market although to be fare I haven't ever fitted a Thule, but out of all the other makes, most of which over the years I have fitted either to my or friends/family members cars wittier are the best quality and alignment to where they're supposed to go

#8 ·
The kit was one made specifically for the Scenic by Right Connections and bought through PF Jones in Manchester. It comes in two parts .... the main harness and control box for the running lights, and an extension harness which has a voltage relay built in to power the fridge etc.
I've fitted the harness but not the extension kit (yet).

#10 ·
Further to my previous posts regarding the rear lights problem ..... Fixed it .... My fault, along with unclear (to me) install instructions.
The instructions ask for a fuse to be inserted into the fuse box, but the pictogram (all the instructions are pictures ... no words), shows a caravan .... I took it to be the constant power for the caravan and didn't fit it straight away. (I wanted to test the system first).
It seems that it also powers the flasher control module as well ... :confused:. Very nice techie at PF Jones put me straight, and when it stopped raining, job done. All works a treat.
The extension kit power cable is another matter however .... I can't find a suitable hole in the firewall to route it through into the cabin and to the boot under the carpets ....
So I am going to wait until it needs a repair / service and ask the techies to route it under the car, which is what they do when they fit them at the dealers workshop.

Unless someone can tell me different??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.