Independent Renault Forums banner

Megane 1.9DCi turbo charger oil leak

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  madnoel10 
#1 ·
Hi All

This fourm is great and has answered a number of questions for me having recently bought my first Renault (Megane Fidji 1.9DCI 2002). Thanks!

Problem is I'm not sure if I have just bought a complete dog as a number of problems have arisen:crying:.

I have noticed excessive oil consumption, but engine looks reasonable (no obvious leaks) and nothing dripping under car.

Only place where fresh oil can be seen is the underneath of the turbo. Having removed intercooler pipe I can see oil in the pipe and around what I understand is the condenser outlet. Local garage says the turbo is on its way out, but before I go along the expensive route of replacing the turbo can anybody advise as to whether anything can be done to save the existing unit?

I have looked at the various Turbo Diagnostic sites, and for the symptoms I have (Excessive oil consumption, oil leak at compressor and whistling turbo) they all say a number of things including air leaks, blocked oil return pipe,dirt in turbo, defective sealing rings. Is any of these more likely on this car (F9Q732)? Don't really want to replace turbo unless I have too, but I suspect that is what my garage will do if I take it to them - any advice anyone can give will make me more informed when I speak with them.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can, take the turbo off and see if anythings loose. I've never repaired a turbo and I am not sure on how you go about it. It's possible that someone may be able to recondition it before it fails completely.

I wouldn't drive it around as it is though, as if its goes while driving, the turbo will suck up ALL the oil and then send it out of the back of your car via the exhaust, and then your pockets will get lighter.

Its not nice I know, but if it does happen it will also ruin the cat, and those new are also very expensive. Then you'll probably need a whole new exhuast system and of course you will have to flush out the intercooler and rad.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that though.

#3 ·
The symptoms you describe do sound like typical turbo seal failure especially the leak at the turbo itself and the excess oil in the inlet plumbing.
To repair a turbo sucessfully it needs to be stripped and all worn components replaced and then dynamically balanced and tested using special special equipment.
Yes it possible you may be able to get your own repaired but most people opt for a reconditioned unit as it will have a 12 month warranty whereas you may not be able to get such cover if it is repaired. Using a recon part will also reduce turn around time.
Also remember the turbo oil feed and return pipes should be renewed plus the inlet plumbing and intercooler will need cleaning.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.