Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor Running*FIXED* - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum » Problem Solving » Read our Articles » Megane

Notices

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor Running*FIXED*

Megane

Old 30th December 2010   #1
Casio
Casio is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor Running*FIXED*

Hi @ All!

New here - Megane owner for about a year now and I have an unsusal fault.

I have a 2003/4 Renault Megane 1.6 VVT with an odd temperature fault.

Some history:

I have had to have (sorry I'm not technical) a "coil pack" or something replaced about a month ago because the car was only firing on 3 cylinders (very lumpy, engine light on etc). This was fixed by a private garage.

on the 13th December, I drove from Trowbridge (Wiltshire) to Manchester airport. Car was fine, no warning lights etc.

On the 29th December, I picked my car up and drove back to Trowbridge - this is where my problems started.

Car started OK, no problems. Drove for a while on the motorway, no issues noticed aside from lack of fuel and lack of washer fluid.

Pulled into a Shell garage, fuelled up and filled up the washer bottle. Note this stage as it may be contributory.

Drove off (I paid, honestly!) and re-joined the motorway. Was rather foggy, so was running with all lights on (headlamps, front and rear fogs).

A while into the journey, I noticed the temp gauge falling a little bit. Didn't think much of it as it was VERY cold outside and there was VERY thick fog banks.

I noticed the temp gauge reach zero (far left). Then after a minute or two pick up and sit where it usually sits (on the 1/2 bar?).

Like an idiot, I didn't think much of this.

I then noticed, when the temp gauge reached zero the car, when lifted off the gas pedal, would feel "lumpy" and slightly shuddery. When going back onto the gas at this stage, the car felt a little more suddery then all smoothed out. The temp gauge would quickly rise as well.

Got home, no incident.

Today: Drove the car fine, fine for about 30 mins then temp gauge plumeted. I lifted off the gas at this point to see if I would feel the lumpyness - no lumpyness. I re-applied the gas and the car felt like it had no power for about 1/2 second, then the power came, accompanied with some aforementioned shuddering, which lasted for about 1.5-2 seconds then it all smoothed out.

I came to a stop in town when the temp gauge was at zero, and the revs fell off to zero (gradually). I couldn't start the car (engine kept on turning over on starter) on the first attempt, but the car did pick up on the second attempt and I was able to drive the short distance home wihtout incident.

I just tried to drive the car now, and the car suddenly went very lumpy and died when I came to a stop. Took several attempts to start the engine, which eventually started and *felt* fine on my return back home.

It's now sat in my drive and I am afraid to drive it in case the problem continues.

My question(s) is(are): what could be causing this?

Coil packs? Did I slosh some washer fluid on something I shouldn't have (there was some SLIGHT spillage, but only a few drops)? Was the fuel from Shell tainted (yes, I DID fill up correctly with the correct fuel!)?

I'm not too happy with the prospect of paying large bills again, as my car has already set me back the best part of £1500 in less than 12 months of ownership.

Help!
Currently in Casio's garage:
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 VVT
Casio is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by Casio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor... Megane Lagdti 15 8778 30th December 2010 04:58 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th December 2010   #2
MéganeDynamique
MéganeDynamique is
tired
Diamond member

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Odd problem with Renault Megane

Hi, the problem is very simple. An engine coolant temperature sensor. The part is less than £20 from Renault and cured this exact problem with my 2.0 VVT Mégane!
Currently in MéganeDynamique's garage:
Avantime 3.0 V6 24v Privilège Auto, Vel Satis 3.0 dV6 Initiale, Vel Satis 2.2 dCi Auto Privilège, Laguna II 3.0 V6 24v Dynamique, Mégane II 2.0 VVT Dynamique, Mégane 1.6 Auto Privilège+ Convertible, Clio 1.9 RT-D
MéganeDynamique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010   #3
Casio
Casio is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts

That simple? Bloody hell, I am happy!

Is it easy to do? and by 'easy', I'm thinking: Haynes manual, can of beer, few tools and some steely-eyed determination (and grazed knuckles)?

Before I get callin' garages, any idea on overall price (parts + labour)?

Any second guesses as to the problem, people? I don't want to get my hopes up too high...

Many thanks!
Currently in Casio's garage:
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 VVT
Casio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011   #4
saabguy
saabguy is
fed up with working.
Platinum member

Nominated 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4

Coolant temp sensor would be my guess as well.
Currently in saabguy's garage:
2002 Citroen C5 SX 2.2 HDi
saabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011   #5
rjk1188
rjk1188 is
has no status.
Diamond member

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguy View Post
Coolant temp sensor would be my guess as well.
also if its reading low it will tell the ecu that the engine is cold and inject more fuel like being on chock that's y it get's lumpy
Currently in rjk1188's garage:
04 laguna privilege dci
rjk1188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erratic, gauge, gauge or poor, megane, odd, problem, renault, runningfixed, stalling, temp