2005 Petrol Grand Scenic Wont Start - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

2005 Petrol Grand Scenic Wont Start

Engines

Old 16th April 2011   #1
5ammie-lou
5ammie-lou is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2005 Petrol Grand Scenic Wont Start

Right I'l start from the beginning-i apologise if its long winded!

I have had my 2005 Scenic Dynamique petrol since November. 56K on the clock, was told was originally cat c/d writeoff (cant remember which), apparently previous owner drove over a bollard??? Anyway, my partner had good look over it and seemed ok! Handbrake showed message "Parking Brake Fault" on dash, took it to Renault dealer and they told me where it had been written off it had knocked the handbrake bracket off and the person who had fixed it had botched it and now the handbrake module didnt sit at the right angle-hence why it didnt automatically release but it worked manually so i wasnt bothered.

I decided that she was too juicey on petrol and with a new baby on the way and 2 dogs i was going to get rid and get a diesel estate.
I had a trip booked from Wales to Kent so decided to do that trip, put new MOT on and get shot when i got back from Kent. Failed on 1 tyre so over the moon ;-)

No problems until now!

Right...I drove to Kent on monday, as ive got off the motorway and hit local traffic i noticed i couldnt get her to go into 1st gear and struggled with 3rd...managed to get her to my brothers and he had a look. He was convinced it was the linkage, he had a look and wasnt so sure so we dropped it down to a friend of his who worked in a garage....it wasnt the linkage or the selector??

Decided to get on ebay and look for another gearbox...luckily i found one down the road, come out of a 2006 Scenic and only done 2000 miles...I explained my situation and that have gotten stuck in Kent, bless them they told me i could have the gearbox for 50!! Went to pick it up and was set to get it installed following day as it was too dark buy this stage!

By the look of the fittings etc as my brother took gearbox out it had been tampered with previously-3bolts missing and few of the bolts had been slightly rounded off and few scrapes on the gearbox itself.

NOW...3 days later and the new gearbox is in, few hiccups in the middle but weve got there. The problem we have now is the damn thing wont start....she turns over but wont actually start.
As yet we havent got any hydraulic fluid in clutch...would that stop it starting-baring in mind i have to either press clutch or brake to start?

The battery had died-had it on jump leads for a while charging from my mums car-but still not starting!
Went indoors for cuppa, came back out and it was a dead as a do-do again!!

Im seriously running out of patience with the car-the sooner shes up and running the sooner she can bog off to someone else ;-)

Would really appreciate some help ;-)

My brother cant work out where to refil the hydraulic fluid?? Any ideas??

And finally
With her not starting, when i try to start her you cant smell any petrol like you usually would upon starting...could he have hit the Fuel cutoff switch and that be the reason shes not starting? If so where would the button be to restart it?

Hope someone out there can shed some light ;-)

P.S
The battery was removed from the car for approx 12/15hours...would that cause a problem?

Have been told if the immobilizer needed resyncing it wouldnt even turn over so im guessing its nothing to do with the immobilizer that shes not starting

Think Ive covered everything...i'm sitting by comp incase anyone needs more information

Thanks for reading

Sammie
Currently in 5ammie-lou's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic ll dynamique 1.6 petrol
5ammie-lou is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by 5ammie-lou
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2005 Petrol Grand Scenic Wont Start Engines 5ammie-lou 6 4345 16th April 2011 06:51 PM
Aftermarket Stereo Help Please In-car entertainment bennie900 14 4321 16th December 2010 10:46 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th April 2011   #2
danthevan
danthevan is
has no status.
Edit

Re: 2005 Petrol Grand Scenic Wont Start

Right, where to start?!

Gearbox has been out, so first of all check all earth cables have been put back, same goes for battery, if it's been off make sure all the wires are connected.

Could possibly be the fuel inertia switch, but not a clue where it is on yours, the handbook will say. May be around the battery area like the scenic.

I know some modern cars don't like jump leads connected to them. Some of them decide to pop fuses etc, so check those too.

I doubt the immobiliser would need re scyncing after that length of time with the battery disconnected. If it does then renault have made a serious design fault on that one!

Does the fuel pump prime (buzz) when you first turn ignition on?
Old 16th April 2011   #3
danthevan
danthevan is
has no status.
Edit

oh, and check the TDC sensor (probably the most important one to check!!!)
Old 16th April 2011   #4
5ammie-lou
5ammie-lou is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

**Gearbox has been out, so first of all check all earth cables have been put back, same goes for battery, if it's been off make sure all the wires are connected**
Hes (my brother) adament hes put everything back as they should, rechecked 4 or 5 times.

**Could possibly be the fuel inertia switch, but not a clue where it is on yours, the handbook will say. May be around the battery area like the scenic**
fuel inertia switch??? that the fuel cut off switch?? Thats what were thinking about, i sat on this site and scenic forums and cannot find it, Im going to go to Halfrauds tomorrow and buy a Haynes manual as it doesnt say anything in the Renault owners manual.

**Does the fuel pump prime (buzz) when you first turn ignition on? **
Nope cannot hear anything from the fuel pump which makes us think that th fuel cut out button has been hit but we cannot find it-there was 4 of us under the bonnet tryng to find it, weve been told its woud be either red or black button but it hidden somewhere

Appreciate your reply
Currently in 5ammie-lou's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic ll dynamique 1.6 petrol
5ammie-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011   #5
danthevan
danthevan is
has no status.
Edit

And the flywheel sensor? It'll be the one on your old gearbox that you didn't swap over hopefully!

Tags
2005, grand, petrol, scenic, start