Megane Scenic 2.0 16v Petrol plz help. - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Megane Scenic 2.0 16v Petrol plz help.

Engines

Old 27th July 2011   #1
shaundolphin
shaundolphin is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Megane Scenic 2.0 16v Petrol plz help.

Hi all, newbie to the renault side of motoring so please be gentle lol. Ok guys wondered if anyone can help me more so by telling me i havent purchased a "Hum Dinger" Ok brought this car this evening and the engine has quite a noisy top end rattle ( bit like a diesel sound ) . Pulls and drives well other than this, Any advice ? Cam belt recently changed and been told its had a recent service. Cheers guys in advance.
shaundolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by shaundolphin
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Megane Scenic 1999 2.0 16v rumbling Wheels & tyres 10 1557 29th July 2011 08:23 PM
Megane Scenic 2.0 16v Petrol plz help. Engines flyingsniffer 14 3921 27th July 2011 09:19 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th July 2011   #2
shaundolphin
shaundolphin is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Re: Megane Scenic 2.0 16v Petrol plz help.

After some research i hear about this Dephaser Pulley issue. Am i just answering my own question or could it be other issues ? Again the car seems to run and pull fine, although have noticed a slight variation on tickover but nothing serious. Forgot to mention car is 1999 and showing 111,000 miles but have no service history. Does this pulley fail altogether ? If so is it disastrous ?
shaundolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th July 2011   #3
tyrz
tyrz is
has no status.

would advise to get the dephazer pulley done and if the belts havent been done do them at the same time .evenually cause bad running possible failure
Currently in tyrz's garage:
scenic and zzr600
tyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27th July 2011   #4
Lagdti
Lagdti is
back.....sort of...:o)
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo

Nominated 19 Times in 19 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,065 Times in 918 Posts

The pulleys on the F4R engines usually rattle when the engine is warm and only when idling,if the noise doesn't go away when the engine is revved then you could be looking at followers/worn cam etc.

I've not known a dephaser failed completely on one of these,I bought our Espace with a noisy pulley on it and drove it for another year before finally getting round to replace it.Pulleys are 160 from Renault (I've not found anyone able to provide aftermarket ones but you might get lucky),a belt kit is around 100-150 depending on where you go (I would advise that you don't reuse the belt no matter how old it is).It's worth changing the auxillary belt at the same time too.
Lagdti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagdti For This Useful Post:
shaundolphin (11th August 2011)
Old 28th July 2011   #5
Recycled Scenic
Recycled Scenic is
has no status.
Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
I've not known a dephaser failed completely on one of these
I would agree with that usually even a really noisy pulley doesn't actually show much signs of wear when dismantled like this one. The outer part of the pulley rotates a few degrees around the centre and there are 8 veins which prevent full rotation. It's not dissimilar to a hydraulic vein pump except the centre doesn***8217;t fully rotate. All the parts are an extremely good fit looking to me as though they are precession ground.

However I bought a 2002 1.8 F4P engine from a breakers recently (uses the same dephaser pulley as the 2.0 F4R) which was supposed to be a good runner. At 110 it was very cheap for a Renault 16 valve engine. When I got the engine in the car and running the upper engine noise was terrible worse than I've ever heard before. On dismantling the dephaser I found one of the chambers was totally smashed and bits of debris I only found 7 of the 8 veins and also found a piece of metal jamming up the dephaser solenoid. This must have worked it***8217;s way back through the oil way. The dephaser couldn***8217;t return to it***8217;s TDC position and it was only the 2 unbroken veins which were preventing the pulley centre from completely rotating and totaling the engine . The cam shaft bearing adjacent to the dephaser was also badly scored and under size by at least 0.2mm that I could measure. I have repaired the cam shaft bearing surface and de commissioned the dephaser and the engine is now nice and quite. I have to say the car goes like s1ht of a stick with no dephaser function.

I bought the above car from a Polish guy as a non runner. I'm not sure whether he really was an idiot or just playing dumb? Though in fairness he did say it needed a new engine but was very vague as to what was wrong with the engine his mechanic had taken it apart and put some of it back together again?

Towed the car a mile or so down the road and had to stop and found one of the wheels was loose!! I guess what can expect from a bloke who puts a plastic supermarket bag on his head when it starts to rain!

Once home found the inlet cam shaft had snapped but no signs of the dephaser pulley ? but virtually no damage to the rest of the engine. I didn***8217;t take the valves out but a quick leak test only showed 2 to be leaking very slightly. So why did the shaft snap ? a badly rattling dephaser pulley? Or maybe it got broken by some ham fisted polish monkey trying to remove the pulley with a crow bar?

In the photo below an inlet cam shaft on the right which is 6mm longer than exhaust cam shaft and has extra oil holes in it to feed the dephaser pulley.

Dephaser pulley on the end of the inlet cam shaft you can see the oil cross holes in the shaft where the other inlet cam shaft has sheared.

Last edited by Recycled Scenic; 28th July 2011 at 11:55 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
shaundolphin (28th July 2011)

Tags
16v, megane, petrol, plz, scenic

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.