I'm having a few problems with my 03 1.2 Clio during the cold mornings:
- Firstly when I first start the engine, the revs bounce up and down for a few seconds then appear normal.
- Sometimes the car itself shakes when the engine is started.
- The engine has stalled a couple of times when stationary, the revs just drop off.
- When driving, the engine loses acceleration then it cuts back in then back out etc and keeps doing it. It doesn't do this immediately, only after driving about 3-5 miles and only when it's cold. Imagine you are driving then take your foot off the accelerator, then back on it again, that's exactly what it feels, it makes the car kangaroo.
- Sometimes I get an engine rattle when pulling away, though it does this even when it's not cold.
From searching on here, all the symptoms seem to point to a dirty/failing throttle body
. I've opened the air intake and removed the filter and there is oil
residue in there at the bottom, so the first thing I'll probably do is give it a good clean that to see if it cures it. But surely it would do it all the time, not just when it's cold??
Is there anything else it could be?