Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt

Engines

Old 13th December 2011   #1
wireymanc
wireymanc is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt

Please help with my dilemma!

2003 1.6 VVT Scenic 80k miles

I had the timing belt changed 6k miles previously but chose not to change the dephaser unit at same time (due to the costs).
Dephaser unit has been running roughly for sometime prior to belt change and is now getting worse

My dilemma is that I am now planning to have the dephaser unit done (privately at competitive price) but the mechanic has advised I do the timing belt again in case it's been damaged by the faulty dephaser.
Is this the case? Should I also be doing the water pump too? I will be sourcing the parts so it will be labour only he will be charging for.
Currently in wireymanc's garage:
2003 Renault Scenic 1.6
wireymanc is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by wireymanc
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt Engines mord 7 2650 13th December 2011 09:29 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th December 2011   #2
Lio
Lio is
has no status.
Diamond member

Re: Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireymanc View Post
Please help with my dilemma!

2003 1.6 VVT Scenic 80k miles

I had the timing belt changed 6k miles previously but chose not to change the dephaser unit at same time (due to the costs).
Dephaser unit has been running roughly for sometime prior to belt change and is now getting worse

My dilemma is that I am now planning to have the dephaser unit done (privately at competitive price) but the mechanic has advised I do the timing belt again in case it's been damaged by the faulty dephaser.
Is this the case? Should I also be doing the water pump too? I will be sourcing the parts so it will be labour only he will be charging for.
hi wireymanc, I suppose everybody has their own views on this but I personally would change the belt for all it costs at the end of the day in comparison to any damage caused by not replacing it,however as long as the waterpump,tensioner and idler pulleys were replaced previously I would be happy to leave them as is, personally speaking I know most mechanics wouldnt be happy refitting a used timing belt unless they personally fitted it .
Currently in Lio's garage:
Renault Master 2.2dci 51reg.& Renault Scenic 1.4 16v 2000 reg Renault Megane Coupe 1.6 16v 2001 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 td lwb 1993
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lio For This Useful Post:
wireymanc (4th January 2012)
Old 14th December 2011   #3
steorbs
steorbs is
thinking

I second that, even if i had fitted it i would replace the belt, but keep the tensioner and pump etc, just a new belt me thinks.
Currently in steorbs's garage:
2004 scenic 1.6 dynamique
steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steorbs For This Useful Post:
wireymanc (4th January 2012)
Old 4th January 2012   #4
wireymanc
wireymanc is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Unhappy Re: Scenic Dephaser Pulley & Timing Belt

I've now had the dephaser unit, timing belt, tensioners and water pump done but have now encountered the following -

continuous squealing sound coming from one of the belts in the engine (such as a loose fan belt or the timing not being taught enough?)

I've had to jump start the car twice despite only fitting a new battery last april and having just driven the car for over 120 miles. The central locking was going off randomly whenever we stopped the car and turned the engine off. (have put battery on charge and checked connections- now seems fine). I think this could have been a loose battery connector

The car now will not start- it turns over but will not fire and there is a strong smell of petrol/solvents coming from the engine bay.

Been back to the mechanic who will look at it again but he didn't exactly fill me with confidence first time round - he tried to do the timing belt etc without using the special tool to keep everything in line in the VVTi engine, unsurprisingly he had to strip it and do it again after he borrowed the tool off another garage.

If I have to challenge the mechanic's work or pay for any further work required- do I have any consumer rights re the standard of his work? any suggestions would be most welcome!!
Currently in wireymanc's garage:
2003 Renault Scenic 1.6
wireymanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012   #5
steorbs
steorbs is
thinking

hmm, i would say could be the aux belt, thats running the alt if your bat is dying. Idealy should have been replaced when the job was done, but changing that belt isnt a big deal, your electrical faults could be seperate or could just be the ECU going a bit mad due to the faults with ur bat.
Currently in steorbs's garage:
2004 scenic 1.6 dynamique
steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steorbs For This Useful Post:
wireymanc (10th January 2012)

Tags
belt, dephaser, pulley, scenic, timing