'Whirring' Noise - 1.5dCi Megane II - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum » Problem Solving » Ask the Experts » Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

'Whirring' Noise - 1.5dCi Megane II

Engines

Old 22nd January 2012   #1
SomersetScott
SomersetScott is
nuts..

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Question 'Whirring' Noise - 1.5dCi Megane II

Hi all,
I have just purchased a 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 'Rush'. I've travelled 150miles in it so far and noticed that in 5th gear and ONLY when accellerating theres a high pitched 'whirring' noise - anyone guess what this might be? 100% sure its engine compartment noise & not wheels etc.

Its got 97,000m on the clock. The apparent 'full service history' isn't as desirable as it could be - Could it just need a bloody good service?

My guess - Gear box?

Any help greatly appreiciated,
Scott.
Currently in SomersetScott's garage:
Mégane 1.5dCi Rush (Mk 2, 2005), Clio 1.5dCi (Mk 2, 2005) & Rover 100 K-series 1.1L (1996)
SomersetScott is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by SomersetScott
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane II, 1.5dci Diesel Leak Back Engines SomersetScott 5 3070 16th October 2012 12:27 PM
Accellerator adjustment? Engines SomersetScott 4 656 10th October 2012 08:24 PM
Front suspension boots/dust covers Steering and Suspension SomersetScott 3 652 9th October 2012 01:05 PM
1.5dci inlet manifold cleaning!? Engines SomersetScott 2 1704 27th August 2012 10:00 PM
Front Shock absorber boot/cover? Wheels & tyres madnoel10 1 641 9th August 2012 12:03 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd January 2012   #2
AlFixit
AlFixit is
an individual - just like everybody else

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: 'Whirring' Noise - 1.5dCi Megane II

Sounds like a reasonable guess if it doesn't do it in other gears. Any sign of oil leakage on the box as they don't have a big capacity and losing oil from the box will kill it in no time.
Currently in AlFixit's garage:
VW Golf GT TDI 130 Highline
AlFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlFixit For This Useful Post:
SomersetScott (23rd January 2012)
Old 23rd January 2012   #3
tahrey
tahrey is
sick of things going boom
Inveterate Bodger

Nominated 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: 'Whirring' Noise - 1.5dCi Megane II

^ This.

Classic problem. On most gearboxes of that generation from everday manufacturers, 5th is the first to show signs of oil starvation as it is still essentially an extra unit bodged on the end of a 4-speed (newer 5 and all 6-speeds have an all-new 3-shaft design). The need to preserve external clearance and the smaller output gear compared to 1~4 means the extended part has a shallower sump. Starts off being noisy as it's short on oil, then eventually it runs out entirely, the bearing overheats and breaks, and you lose the gear. If you're terribly unlucky, you can lose the whole box (metal shards whirling about). 5th is at least more easily replaced than the other gears, but the labour costs/trickiness of the job and the need to remove it anyway means you're as well to just replace the whole thing.

I would try to avoid engaging 5th or racing the engine too much for now (taking the load off the bearings will help but it'll still be spinning along with all the others), and get hold of some top-up oil as soon as practical. If I remember rightly, 75w90 gear oil should do the job, and the filler/dipstick arrangement is just a plastic jobbie that can be turned by hand, at least after the seal formed by years of direct exposure to road crud is broken. Might still be hard to access though - I had to pour the oil (pre-warmed by floating the bottle in a bucket of hot water) down a length of cut-off hosepipe last time I had reason to top up a gearbox.

Also, before anything else, try to find out if there's a reason why it may be low. Is the casing cracked and leaking anywhere? 5th gear unit cover gasket perforated? Most gearboxes are the epitome of "sealed for life" and topping up more than a couple hundred millilitres over 100,000 miles should be viewed with suspicion. The times I've done it were mainly after changing the transmission (going from a 4 to a 5, or replacing an abused one) as transporting them and potentially having to take flanges off the diff means pre-draining is a good idea.

Oh yeah and be gentle with 2nd, at least for now... the synchronisers depend on the box oil to work properly, and I'm living proof that Renault boxes have fragile 2nd gear synchros.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
tahrey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahrey For This Useful Post:
SomersetScott (23rd January 2012)
Old 8th March 2012   #4
SomersetScott
SomersetScott is
nuts..
Threadstarter

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Many thanks! - not enough oil in the box, slight leak - not too clear on where but its not much. Replaced the oil, have 2 bottles on standby to top up as and when - no more noises! I hope it wasn't ran too far with preveious owner low on GB oil..

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Tags
15dci, megane, noise, whirring