Renault Scenic I - Heater Fan Fix - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Read our Articles Scenic

Notices

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Scenic I - Heater Fan Fix

Scenic

Old 16th November 2006   #1
Barney O
Barney O is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic I - Heater Fan Fix

As per Ben1400's threads re the resistor pack, or as the Haynes Manuel calls it, the Heater Blower Motor Resistor/Control Unit, I've just repaired mine following Ben's instructions for his Laguna...what a top man!

As I have a 99 Scenic Alize with Air Con and I thought I would share with everyone who has the same (and it appears a commom ) problem, how I did this on my car - a much edited version of my experience!

Firstly, take out the pollen filter (if fitted) and the blower motor, then get upside down in the passenger footwell (in a girlfriend/mistress sort of stylee) and look up into the air chamber. You will see the resistor pack, but unless you're a gyneacologist, you won't have much of a chance carrying out the repair as per Ben1400's instructions.

Too get to the little beastie, I had to take off the top of the dash, straight foward and as per the Haynes Manuel. Once thats out of the way, you will seen the left hand air vent tube, its got a thin sponge cover. This has to be pulled from the centre consol air duckting and from the left hand air vent. It does come off, just needs a good 'yank'.

Underneath this trunking, you will then see the top of the resistor pack and you can now undo the little grub screw that hold the resitor pack into the air box. Once this is undone you can lift the resistor pack out and undo the electrical connections, 4 in total (3 on the top, one underneath the dash, to the blower motor) and repair it as per Ben1400 instructions.

The biggest of the 3 top connections ia a bit of a funny set up, as you will see a red ribbed 'tab' at one end. This simply pulls away from the main body and as it does so, it releases the connection.

The fuse is easily identified, as its the only one there, once you have replaced the thermal fuse, it all goes back together in reverse order. All in this took me about 3 hrs, but I have recently had the blower motor out and therefore managed it a bit quicker this time. If you can manage to see the resistor pack from the pollen filter 'hole', you don't need to remove the blower (this just gives you an idea where it is).

The replacing of the thermal fuse is straight forward as Ben states, it cost me the grand sum of 71p at Mapplins and thanks to Ben's fantastic input into the forum, not only did I save a fortune, I got a lot of satisfaction from repairing my own car!

JUST A QUICK UPDATE ON THIS THREAD, THE THERMAL FUSE I USED AS PER BEN1400'S INSTRUCTONS BLEW A DAY LATER (RATED AT 110c). I MANAGED TO FIND MY OLD ONE AND IT IS RATED AT 192c, MAPLINS PART NUMBER IS RA20W.......ITS STILL 71p!! This time I only took off the top of the dash and removed the heater tubing, all in it took me about 20-30mins, a real bonus.

Finally......THANKS BEN!!!
Currently in Barney O's garage:
1999 Scenic (mk1) 1.6 RT Alize

Last edited by Barney O; 29th November 2006 at 04:48 PM. Reason: UPDATE as at 29/11/06 4th electrical connection!
Barney O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barney O For This Useful Post:
daiwelly (25th October 2013), dame74 (8th January 2014), Sordo (2 Weeks Ago)

5 Lastest Threads by Barney O
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Scenic I - Heater Fan Fix Scenic Sordo 67 89229 16th November 2006 01:38 PM
Hi everyone, can yo help me with a 1999 Scenic... Electronics Michael-S 5 2669 28th December 2005 07:31 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th November 2006   #2
chris m
chris m is
tired but hopeful
Let's be carefull out there

Nominated 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Send a message via MSN to chris m
well done good post
Old 29th November 2006   #3
clan
clan is
has no status.

Hi Barney O
I'm new to the forum & just finding my way about.I also have a Scenic with air con & fan that will not work. ( early 2000)
Tried following your method to get at the blower resistor & fuse. Got the top of the dash off OK and the middle end of the duct but could not budge the face vent end. I did pull & push HARD. Which direction should it go?

Also you say you took the blower motor out. I understood that with air con this should not be done.

Clan
Currently in clan's garage:
2000 Scenic 1600 petrol
clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006   #4
Barney O
Barney O is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Fan ducting....it will come off!

Clan,

Yep, I had the same problem, it must have been the the first time it had come off since the car was built. I found that a bit of brute force and ignorance...and a push towards the front of the car helped. Its the same type of connection as the centre duct but right angled and the end of it faces towards you, therefore a good hard push away from the dash will do it.
Regarding the blower motor, I read the Haynes manuel and thought the same...but then thought even harder about what the the Renault bill would be and had a go.
It loosens up OK, but no matter what position I got it in, I could not get the bottom lip of the blower motor case past the lower left dash mounting stud, hence having to undo the lower and upper dash mounting nuts and hacksaw about 10mm off the lower bracket, leaving the stud untouched.
Once off, you can gently prise the motor out of the plastic caseing, its held in by the rubber 'blocks', a pressure fit. You can then clean up the commutator and brushes, if yours is anything like mine then they will need it!
Good luck mate!
Barney
Currently in Barney O's garage:
1999 Scenic (mk1) 1.6 RT Alize
Barney O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006   #5
clan
clan is
has no status.

Thanks Barny
I'll have another go but I really gave it all I had. Even managed to get a length of wood in to try to lever it off. Forcast for tomorrow is V wet & windy so may not get at it.

My other car is a 27 year old MG midget. I understand that one. Suspect it is still the original blower. <G>

Clan
Currently in clan's garage:
2000 Scenic 1600 petrol
clan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fix, heater, renault, scenic