remap vs tuning box question - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

remap vs tuning box question

Engines

Old 20th December 2012   #1
scaredpassenger
scaredpassenger is
hungry like a wolf!

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
remap vs tuning box question

I've read quite a lot about the differences of the two, but the power outputs quoted by nearly all tuning box companies is pretty much the same output quoted by any remap company, whilst i understand that tuning boxes just mess around with fueling levels hence being limited to the max fuel flow rate and then having a top end of performance, will a decent remap not be able to change the turbo pressure as well as fueling parameters

or is it a case that the clio dci 100ps ecu is clever enough to see the extra fuel being chucked in on the tunning box front that it can then adjust turbo pressure and together that gives you the overall power output?
I'm fully aware that the turbo fitted to my car is a vgt!
Currently in scaredpassenger's garage:
2004 clio dci 100, and a 2012 Vauxhall GTC VXR
scaredpassenger is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by scaredpassenger
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
remap vs tuning box question Engines coup 2 639 20th December 2012 05:48 PM
what reader for codes required Electronics spacecadet 14 1320 19th December 2012 12:34 PM
clio 1.5dci 100 loss of power and intermitent... Engines scaredpassenger 4 955 8th June 2012 10:45 AM
clio cabasse stereo upgrade issues In-car entertainment scaredpassenger 1 1190 7th March 2012 01:56 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th December 2012   #2
VelSatisfied
VelSatisfied is
International, but his heart is always where the weather's nice.
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants

Nominated 51 Times in 36 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 16
Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,582 Posts
Re: remap vs tuning box question

In all honesty, I have had one car remapped (which delivered a fantastic transformation), and I'm (personally) a bit suspicious of boxes (although I have no experience of them).

To my mind, the box is a generic solution whereas the remap is specific for the driver's car & driving style.

I draw the analogy between going into a shoe shop, and buying blind, versus buying a pair the correct size - sure, the outcome is the same (a pair of shoes), but the way they perform will differ.

Plus, I think if you deal with an individual face-to-face (who does the conversion), you have a bit more recourse if it goes pear-shaped, than some company off the internet who may simply wash their hands & hide behind the small print.

Maybe I'm just overcautious, but an engine is a very expensive item if it goes bang.

HTH,

Paul

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2005 MB CLS 55K AMG uprated to 605bhp / 608lb/ft & 155mph limiter removed courtesy of a stage 2 upgrade by DMS Automotive
VelSatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
coup (20th December 2012)
Old 20th December 2012   #3
coup
coup is
TT
Platinum member

Nominated 17 Times in 15 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Thanked 1,021 Times in 920 Posts
Re: remap vs tuning box question

I think of the tuning box as the pure diesel tuning,in the sense that it fool the car into injecting more fuel than the original ecu map specifies for any given condition.
If we take the view that the boxes really the same, how effective one will be seems to depend on how much tolerance is built into your engine type.

I have only had direct experience of a "box" on a 90 bhp diesel,but Ive read others experience of what is probably a very similar box on the 110bhp version of the same engine.

What I get with my "box"is approximately (I think)a 115bhp type engine at hi and medium revs and something that can actually improve fuel economy if its kept on the torque curve (around 1750-2250)
If I drive it hard ..like revving to the dizzy heights of 4000+ in the gears the mpg will be worse than normal..

The impression I get from people with a box on 110bhp versions of the same engine is that they get ,maybe a 120 bhp engine at hi revs and close to a 125/130 bhp and medium revs

The torque kick is big..no doubt..higher performance wont go up much unless your fuel system is understressed as standard.

The above engines have a different turbo but are pretty much the same otherwise..

The easiest to understand diesel tuning quote ive read is :
"Add more fuel till it smokes, then add more turbo pressure,then add more fuel "..and so on.

Tuning boxes just fool the ecu into adding more fuel at any given time/load requirement.The original map is set to add the minimum amount of fuel for the same situation.
Ehats with the economy claims on tuning boxes then?.
I think its a case of holding a low rev /hi torque state even more rigourously than than the manufacturers allow for.
With a box you get a good acceleration "kick" compared to without, but the "torque curve" seems narrower.

Turbo pressure adjustment:
The common box cant affect that directly..how could it,its just a variablle resistor in the fuel pressure sensor feedback.
with a box all you get is more fuel pressure,up to the sensors limits.

There are 3 sensor tuning boxes around for alfa multijet engines..I dont know how good they are but to get it set right you would think remaps would need to be involved too.

It seems like ,if your engine has a reasonable fuel pressure safety margin.you can get ok results.
Mine is 1650bar max normal operating pressure..just like the 110bhp version but cos its in a lower state of tune it might not go to 1650bar as often.
The sensor for both engines goes to error at approx 1800 bar.

The remap,if its a good one, you would think should provide the fuel and the extra turbo pressure,at least if its a vvt turbo and its max pressure isnt contrilled mainly by a physical wastegate.
A good remap should provide more than you would get from a tuning box as the tuning box is really dependant on a best case scenario in terms of fuel pressure headroom.

There are remaps which use tuning boxes!..shows the importance of fuel pressure probably.

Cost.. well there you come to a big q...My box 35 second hand.A remap..300 for a good one?..200,I dont know.
After 18 months on the box..I have I think at least a 20% better overall result.
A remap alone might be better .
For example I cant go over lvl 7 on my box to be 100% sure of no errors perhaps with a remap I could get to use up tothe level 9 max(0-9) all the time.
Doesnt really matter,I wont be getting a remap till guarantee is gone anyway.
It be too difficult to change back for service.

KHAAAAAN!
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013
kunjan008007
This message has been deleted by VelSatisfied. Reason: breach of forum rules - unofficially advertising their own business.

Tags
box, question, remap, tuning