Laguna Bonnet Release - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Bodywork

Notices

Bodywork Paint care, corrossion, body kits, spoilers, skirts etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Laguna Bonnet Release

Bodywork

Old 1st January 2013   #1
MarkLB
MarkLB is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Laguna Bonnet Release

Can anyone give advice on how to open the bonnet on a 1999 Renault Laguna Sport. I have pulled the release handle as far as I can, it releases the bonnet catch slightly so the bonnet opens a little bit but not fully.

To add to my problems I pulled on a wire with a pair of pliers which I thought was the bonnet release cable. It came apart/snapped but I don't think it was the bonnet release cable as the bonnet release mechanism is still working as before (i.e it opens the bonnet slightly). Does anyone know what this other cable is (it has a blue plastic cover) ?
Currently in MarkLB's garage:
Renault Laguna
MarkLB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by MarkLB
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna Bonnet Release Bodywork voxmagna 3 2000 1st January 2013 03:42 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st January 2013   #2
mord
mord is
not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing,...(in Ukraine)
Platinum member

Nominated 0 Times in 9 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Laguna Bonnet Release

welcome to the Forums

which side of the steering wheel did you grab the cable? (if left then its aircon cables, if right it was the bonnet release.)

if (left) and it had a blue plastic cover then it was probably the AIRCON control wire, there are 3, yellow, white, blue.
do your aircon dials still work ???
did you find a metal spring clip loose in the footwell ???
did you snap the black plastic it was connected to ???

(if right)
there are x2 latches under the bonnet, the long calble from the handle travels into the bask of the dash, going through the firewall behind the speedo unit, it then travels to the left and down along the left wing, where it connects to the latch on the passenger side of the top cross memeber/slam panel.
there is a second shorter cable that clips into the other side of the latch andit runs across under the panel (tucked up over the radiator) to the driverside latch.

where possible get a friend (who isnt wearing lots of metal on thier hands!(dont want scratched bonnet)) to push down on the bonnet to allow the latches to freely (they are sprung) releas when you pull the handle.

if that doesnt work then you need to get under the car and use your hand or a long screwdriver to flick the passenger side latch manually.
(a garage is more used to dealing with this reguar lag1 problem) it will take 2 people to release it without torn knuckles on the radiator.
Currently in mord's garage:
a Very DEEEEP hole that me and my credit card are in!
mord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6th February 2013   #3
MarkLB
MarkLB is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Laguna Bonnet Release

Thank you, after several attempts in the past few weeks I finally got the bonnet open by bouncing on the bonnet while my wife pulled the cable.

I have oiled the hinges and all seems okay for now.

The other cable I broke was the air con system ,I seem to have snapped something that the cable went through which is really annoying. Strangely it has also affected the radio controls on the steering wheel which no longer work.

Wish I had known about bouncing on the bonnet before breaking the other cable!
Currently in MarkLB's garage:
Renault Laguna
MarkLB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th April 2013   #4
voxmagna
voxmagna is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Laguna Bonnet Release- Getting the bonnet open

Our Lag 1's are getting older and this is the SECOND time I have had to deal with a stuck bonnet so I thought I would add to some of the excellent feedback already on the site.

My lag 1 is UK model, steering wheel on right and location references are as sitting in the driver seat.

First, here is a very useful post with photos I dug up from the archive:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13678[16/04/2013 14:47:56]

I have never been so lucky to bounce the bonnet and get that to work. However I have learned that you never pull excessively hard on the bonnet release handle. Breaking the cable or parts is a much bigger repair job. The only way to sort out stiff and stiffening latch pivots is to remove the 2 bolts holding each latch, clean, degrease, lubricate and replace. Spraying WD40 on them is not a long term fix.

Several years ago the bonnet release went all floppy as if the cable had broken. I put the car on ramps and removed the engine tray. From underneath using a small light, I could see the bonnet mechanisms high up and to the left and right. The right drivers seat side is less cluttered to start with. You see the shiney cable wire first and the part you push from right to left (made of black plastic) with a very LONG screwdriver is at the extreme right of the wire.

That releases the right side latch. If you are lucky (and there are reasons why) it will be the right side latch that has seized up and the left side may release by pulling the release lever.

The bonnet wire is connected to the left side latch first and gets a lot more pull. They then use a connection wire linking the left side across to the right latch. The right side latch furthest from the pull point is more likely to seize or stiffen first. Most important is the wire length and distance between the two pull points on each latch. Surprisingly, Renault did not fix the latches with oval holes to take up any wear or slack. Therefore you must make sure that when the bonnet release is pulled slowly, BOTH attachment points move together and release at the same time. Do this check before you slam the bonnet down!! If you turn their plastic cable holder upside down, you can get a couple of mm shorter on the distance.

If you do need to manually release the left side latch, the procedure is the same locating the attachment point for TWO thin wires (not the outer jacket) and pushing it to the left.

The design of the latches is rubbish. The pull points for the cable wire are through plastic mouldings which can break. This feels like a broken cable at the release lever end. The worst plastic piece is the first one on the left side, because it takes the force of the cable pulling on both latches. The best fix for this is to take a short piece of square aluminium stock bar (can't remember the size, but about 10mm square) and re-make both plastic parts from solid aluminium. It is a fairly simple job of filing to get the same external profile, then drilling holes to take the cable wire nipples, mounting tab and hacksaw slots for the wires. The tab that locates each pull block is then drilled 1.5mm at the end to take a wire to stop the blocks jumping off the tabs. Never again will you have these parts break but the cable may with excessive pull.

Now I have revisited a jammed bonnet for the second time. There were no broken parts but the right side release mechanism was jammed hard at the point where the cable operates on a steel pivot pin. The design of these things is so bad! because the bonnet has no decent weathstrip seal, water easily gets on to the bonnet latches and these pivots (there are 2) seize up. Despite all the warnings about lubrication, these parts and poor weather protection are just made to seize up.

Both latches need to be unbolted, dunked in kerosene, thoroughly cleaned and the pivot parts worked hard until running free. After drying I lubricated mine with liquid ptfe, but I still expect seizure every seven years! Before putting them back, paint the black plastic/aluminium 'toggles' holding each cable wire white - it will help you find them from underneath next time!

The long screwdriver is essential but may not be in your toolkit. The end of the latch which needs moving may be seized quite hard and most long screwdrivers will bend. I cut a 24 inch lenth of 1/2 inch steel bar then ground the tip one side 45 degrees with the angle grinder. The bar is long enough to rest on the side chassis box frame as a pivot point. The flexy led light (Ikea) was excellent, as I could poke it right up to the top of the rad.

As any remaining Lag 1's get older, this will become a more common problem (maybe Lag 2's?), so I hope my added notes to this thread help as there is not much else on the web but moans and groans.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bonnet, laguna, release

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.