Adding a spare wheel carrier to your Grand Scenic 3- *with pics* - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Wheels & tyres

Notices

Wheels & tyres Wheels, tyres, suspension etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Adding a spare wheel carrier to your Grand Scenic 3- *with pics*

Wheels & tyres

Old 16th February 2013   #1
bigiainw
bigiainw is
back at work :-(
I'm a drummer, I hit things!

Nominated 7 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Cool Adding a spare wheel carrier to your Grand Scenic 3- *with pics*

Okay, so here goes.

I bought a year and a bit old Grand scenic 1.9 dCi to discover, like many of you, that I had the bottle of gunk and the little inflator, not a proper spare wheel. So having checked out the posts regarding this situation with the previous model I did a bit of digging and found that the process of adding this to my car was fairly straight forward (if, unfortunately, not inexpensive). So here's how I did it!

I contacted http://www.renaultsparesdirect.co.uk and they were able to source the part for me. The part number is 572111357R and is now listed on their website for anyone else who fancies having a go. It is an eyewatering 205.72 inc vat and delivery, which when you see what the part actually is, seems a bit steep, but it's not like you can get them from anywhere else. I suspect that the similar part for the previous model may fit, but I wasn't able to compare, and the new prices are very similar so I took the plunge and bought the part that definately fitted.

Under the boot floor, there is a sculpted recess for the spare wheel so unlike the previous model, there is no need for a wheel guide and the nuts are already there. The design of the floor is different and the reinforcement panel sits above the plastic floor rather than below on the older car.

This shows the floor with the nuts already removed from the studs. You can see the shape of the floor too.

I also decided that i didn't want a spacesaver, so I sourced a full size steel wheel (6.5jx16) and a full sized tyre, a 205/60/16. I have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, 16" Spirale alloys with winter tyres in 205/60/16 which I got after buying the car (thank you Gumtree!) and a set of 17" Schuss alloys which came fitted to the car with 205/55/17's and I wanted something that would maintain the rolling radius. These 2 sizes are virually identical, hence my choice.

Here's a shot of the spare wheel carrier in place.

And another..

It was then simply a case of winching the spare wheel up into the space. One thing to note is that the nut on top of the winder mechanism is 19mm, where as the wheel nuts are 17 mm so you will; need a different method of raising and lowering the wheel. I am carrying a long 19mm socket and a ratchet with an extention bar for this purpose.

Fully home the wheel doesn't protrude very much and can't be seen when walking past the car, making it much better than a space saver in my opinion.

All in all, the whole job took less than 20min start to finish and I was so lazy that I didn't even raise the car to do it.

Last job was to put the bung back in the hole inside the car below the drivers side rear bench seat.

Oh, and lob the tyre repair gunk across the railway at the bottom of my garden!
Currently in bigiainw's garage:
2011 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique Tomtom 1.9dCi in Ruby red metalic/ 2006 Renault Clio III 1.2 16v 3dr Extreme in Post Box Red/ 2013 Renault Trafic LL29 2.0 dCi (euro 5) Sport Passenger in Luxurious Gun Metal Grey with Cruise control, now with parking sensors!!!

Last edited by bigiainw; 16th February 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Edit title to show pictures
bigiainw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigiainw For This Useful Post:
Dinnie (25th March 2013), patchman (7th October 2013), Pistol1 (4 Weeks Ago), SteveHayward (14th December 2013)

5 Lastest Threads by bigiainw
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
The new trafic is here- disapointed! General Chat Colin :) 47 2742 10th May 2013 09:05 PM
... Coming! General Chat scatz 1 307 25th April 2013 09:58 PM
Gone... General Chat bigiainw 3 346 24th April 2013 12:54 AM
Warning- please read! General Chat ice 7 988 9th April 2013 06:53 PM
My Grand Scenic My mottah! bigiainw 3 1122 9th April 2013 02:01 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th February 2013   #2
VelSatisfied
VelSatisfied is
International, but his heart is always where the weather's nice.
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants

Nominated 50 Times in 35 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 16
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,508 Posts
Re: Adding a spare wheel carrier to your Grand Scenic 3- *with pics*

Excellent post.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2005 MB CLS 55K AMG uprated to 605bhp / 608lb/ft & 155mph limiter removed courtesy of a stage 2 upgrade by DMS Automotive
VelSatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013   #3
patchman
patchman is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

thank you BigIainW for this excellent info, I will be tackling this as soon as I can get hold of the wheel carrier- the cost of the part is extortinate compared to having it fitted as a factory option, 100 according to helpmefinda.co.uk, and that's including the spacesaver wheel !!
Currently in patchman's garage:
2010 Grand Scenic Privilege 1.5dci
patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013   #4
SteveHayward
SteveHayward is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I have just got my Dynamique TomTom 1.5 dC and with the above info sourcing a carrier. However as it's a spare wheel I need can anyone tell me what size wheels will fit? Do not see the point of an alloy being under the care so trying to get the info to get the right wheel. I see the 6.5jx16 quoted above - does this mean any steel wheel with 5 stud and this code at the beginning will fit?
Currently in SteveHayward's garage:
2010 Grand Scenic
SteveHayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013   #5
bigiainw
bigiainw is
back at work :-(
I'm a drummer, I hit things!
Threadstarter

Nominated 7 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2

The steel wheel needs to be a new style renaulot 5 stud wheel- the PCD is 114.5mm, as opposed to the older 108mm. A wheel from a Mk III Megane, Scenic or Grand scenic or a Laguna 3 will fit. It's also a very common PCD on Japanese cars- Nissan, Honda etc.

I got my full size steel wheel on ebay for very little money- 25 I think. Happy hunting!
Currently in bigiainw's garage:
2011 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique Tomtom 1.9dCi in Ruby red metalic/ 2006 Renault Clio III 1.2 16v 3dr Extreme in Post Box Red/ 2013 Renault Trafic LL29 2.0 dCi (euro 5) Sport Passenger in Luxurious Gun Metal Grey with Cruise control, now with parking sensors!!!
bigiainw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding, carried, carrier, grand, pics, scenic, spare, wheel