Camshaft Timing Marks Not there - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Camshaft Timing Marks Not there

Engines

Old 22nd April 2007   #1
merky
merky is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Camshaft Timing Marks Not there

Hi. I have a Laguna II 1.9dci and have been having some problems with it smoking..

Anyway, I recently done the cambelt and put a new one on exactly the way the old one came off..

I have done many cambelts in the past, but this engine does not seem to have a mark on the engine backplate to match the camshaft. I have the pin in the crankshaft so I know this is at top dead. The camshaft pulley has a round dot on it so I can get this mark, but there is suppose to be a mark on the back plate, but there isn't??

I could be a tooth out and not realise it, if it was would it damage the engine, would I get smoke as the timing would be wrong, although the car runs lovely, pulls away no problem..

Are there any marks on the camahafts themselves if I took the rocker cover off???

Cheers
Currently in merky's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II Tourer 1.9dci

Last edited by merky; 22nd April 2007 at 10:21 PM.
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merky For This Useful Post:
hendrik lubbe (26th February 2012)

5 Lastest Threads by merky
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grand Scenic 1.9dci does not start Engines merky 2 451 25th November 2013 08:17 PM
Knocking from front on rough roads Steering and Suspension davesss 3 991 13th October 2007 09:16 PM
Laguna II 1.9dci takes ages to start Engines madnoel10 4 1372 1st October 2007 08:20 PM
Laguna II 1.9dci 2002 Low compression Engines dazid1 12 4147 7th May 2007 08:54 PM
Camshaft Timing Marks Not there Engines tankpzk6 8 7993 22nd April 2007 10:20 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd April 2007   #2
Donald
Donald is
mad
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion

Nominated 13 Times in 9 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Hi yes i also believe the mark should be on the back plate or the belt cover plate i hope this helps all the best Donald

If you have no luck phone Renault and ask to be put through to technical services and ask them iam sure they will help iam for always doing this cheers
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007   #3
tomandjo
tomandjo is
has no status.

Some modern engines don't have timing marks and therefore a jig may be required to help set the timing correctly.

Tom
Currently in tomandjo's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9DCi
tomandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007   #4
tankpzk6
tankpzk6 is
has no status.

Hi Donald,
I was just looking for the location of the cam pulley marks on my 1.4e Megan when I came across your post

The belt went & I am trying to fit a new one but I have no idea where to set the cam can you give us a clue please

Tank
tankpzk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007   #5
goon
goon is
has no status.

Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
The hard and fast answer to this is that there are no timing marks!!!!! Renault use a cam locking tool that goes on the opposite side to the cambelt. When set correctly, there are two notches in the camshafts that sit just below level to the camshaft cover line. The tool then screws into a hole and locks these two in place. the crank shaft pulley is held by a screw in pin that slots in to h hole by the sump near to piston one. This holds the big end in place and is a bloomin' tricky job because, if you get it wrong, you'll screw into the web of the big end and then it'll slip. Don't, whatever you do, unscrew the campulleys. They have no locating method such as a woodruff key and are purely an interference fit. If you are going to take them off, then draw a marking line on each from the pulley, through the web, onto the camshaft and upto the block.

That having been said, I don't think your problem is the timing as the ecu would have a fit if the timing was out and the engine is a close intereference job, so your valve would be shot in an instant. I suspect that your turbo may well be gone as this is a common fault with the DCI. similarly, have you used a diesel flush in it?
Currently in goon's garage:
Citroen C4 VTS - The Laguna has moved on to pastures new!
goon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft, marks, timing