Renault Espace - Clutch Slave Cylinder*FIXED* - Page 11 - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Read our Articles Espace

Notices

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Espace - Clutch Slave Cylinder*FIXED*

Espace

Old 3rd February 2011   #51
colin4255
colin4255 is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Espace - Clutch Slave Cylinder*FIXED*

I can't believe what you were quoted. I have a 2002 Mk3 Espace 2,2DCI and the plastic clutch slave cyclinder broke on that last year. The master cyclinder, slave cylinder and the pipe between them comes as one complete sealed unit on my car and it can't, they tell me be bled, or fixed as it comes fully built and filled with fluid as a sealed unit so to speak.

My Renault dealerhe job for 270 including parts and labour! I will find the bill and get back to you but they charged me for 2 hours labour (about 80) and the rest was the price of the clutch cyclinders and pipe. system.
colin4255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th February 2011   #52
kingstallion
kingstallion is
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Balkwill View Post
Hello everyone,

I bought a 2000 16V Espace via eBay with the clutch hydrauics slave pushrod end broken. As described above it is quite possible to repair this.

Took me three hours in the street with some hand tools. The slave piston had popped out when the pedal went to the floor, so some fluid had leaked out from the lower section as well.

I removed the slave cylinder (2 bolts with a 13mm spanner) and raised it above the join. Then I pulled the pedal back into place so it sucked some fluid back in, and I guessed/hoped that the air wouldn't get beyond the join. Then I disconnected the join in the pipe. I used a spanner to push the ring back to get enough area to push on, but it comes apart easily and self seals each side so doesn't leak. Back in the car I was pleased to find a hard pedal to confirm that there was no air in the top part of the system and that I wouldn't have to take out the dash.

Then I sawed the head off a 10mm bolt to the same length as the pushrod and the broken plastic end, and filed the ends to be rounded and smooth. The rubber boot stretched over this easily to keep the dirt out.

I flushed out the slave cylinder with new fluid and filled it to the brim before starting to put the piston back in. The connector won't let the fluid out, unless the sealing ring inside is pushed back, and I found that a small 1/4" socket of around 10mm fitted nicely in the hole so I could push gently with my thumb to open the seal while pushing the piston into place until it was part way in and just meeting the spring inside. No air bubbles and ready to go.

The pushrod presses on a lever on this box, and the lever pulls on a short cable that hooks onto the clutch operating lever. I unhooked the cable so I could put the slave back into place with the two bolts just started. I then reconnected the hydraulics, and pulled the cable to hook it back into place. Then just had to do up the two bolts to get it all to fit properly.

I'm not sure whether I was lucky or whether it's designed that way, but no excess fluid came out of the top end, and since I didn't look up there I don't know whether this one has a reservoir or not.

Anyway, the clutch works fine, and all that for the cost of a 10mm bolt I had in my toolbpx anyway.
Great work! Thanks for the post. I pushed the rod back in on mine (the hard rubber end had snapped). Rather than making a new rod, I used the same one, but made a small spacer (about 1") on the short piece of wire that joins to the clutch arm. Just done a 50 mile test and all worked fine. I must say I am very careful every time I push the clutch down.
kingstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011   #53
doorslammer1968
doorslammer1968 is
has no status.

Oh dear , it looks like i might have the same illness on my mk3 espace.
Currently in doorslammer1968's garage:
2001 renault espace 2.2dci the race. vw golf mk4 tdi
doorslammer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011   #54
smudge2010
smudge2010 is
has no status.

Mine don it now!...not the plastic but the rubber boot seat inside the cylinder has ripped..

Stripped it all out today with the use of this thread

Problem i have is that i cant find the bit im looking for...Mine does not have a top up res..it master cylinder...pipe...coupler...some round bit..Vac?..Then slave to box.

Evaryone ive look at has the top a res..Can i use this one?

Its a 99 grand 2.2 dt it that helps?

Ta all
Currently in smudge2010's garage:
99 grabd espace vw type2 old skool bus
smudge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011   #55
smudge2010
smudge2010 is
has no status.

Also if anyone is in need of the arem with a good plastic end that goes to the pedal then ive got one up for grabs
Currently in smudge2010's garage:
99 grabd espace vw type2 old skool bus
smudge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, cylinderfixed, espace, renault, slave