Overheating problem since having engine steam cleaned. - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Heating & cooling

Notices

Heating & cooling A place to discuss heating, air-con etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Overheating problem since having engine steam cleaned.

Heating & cooling

Old 7th February 2008   #1
tombardier
tombardier is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Overheating problem since having engine steam cleaned.

Hi,

The other day, I put a bit of oil in to my engine, and like a daft git, drove off without putting the cap back on. did about 15 miles before noticing. Luckily, didn't lose the cap, but there was oil all over the engine... I put more oil in, then drove it for another day before taking it in to the garage this morning. There were no problems up until that point. after it came back earlier, i took it to the shop, which is only 2 miles away. I noticed that the computer was telling me my sidelights were fauly, and one of them was indeed not working. Since then, my housemate has taken it on a longer journey, about 20 miles, and the on board computeris telling her to pull over due to overheating. apparently the coolant reservoir is still really cold, and even after leaving the engine off for 30 minutes or so, it was immediately reporting high temps when switching the engine back on. could it be misreporting? could the coolant not be getting to where it needs to be somehow? i think it has to be down to the steam cleaning (which made my whole engine bay very shiny hehe), so i'm hoping it's electrical.

any help appreciate.. thanks
Currently in tombardier's garage:
1996 renault laguna RXE 2.0i
tombardier is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by tombardier
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna Mk1 Front CrossMember Corrosion - MOT... Bodywork tombardier 17 5257 3rd December 2009 05:44 PM
'97 Laguna 2.0 8v RXE Timing Belt Assistance Engines tombardier 2 1806 27th September 2009 10:04 PM
laguna 1, phase 1 (p-reg rxe 2.0) key... Electronics Lagdti 1 1824 4th January 2009 08:19 PM
Petrol Laguna 1 8v: Engine hesitates... Engines chard 9 1917 22nd May 2008 08:05 PM
Overheating problem since having engine steam... Heating & cooling TheLastSon 5 1576 7th February 2008 11:18 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th February 2008   #2
Alan Welch
Alan Welch is
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombardier View Post
Hi,

The other day, I put a bit of oil in to my engine, ...
Since then, my housemate has taken it on a longer journey, about 20 miles, and the on board computeris telling her to pull over due to overheating. apparently the coolant reservoir is still really cold...
so i'm hoping it's electrical.

any help appreciate.. thanks
I reckon it is an electrical problem, caused by the steam/vapour cleaning.

You wouldn't necessarily expect the coolant reservoir to get that hot since there usually is no water current through it; it only serves as a conveniant expansion chamber.

Check that the radiator gets hot and the main water pipes to/from it. If it does then you can risk using the car.

So you probably have got false readings feeding into the engine management computer which will cause the car to not run at its optimum/factory settings.

If you feel confident, unplug all the wiring connectors and leave out to dry - can you wait for the summer?
Currently in Alan Welch's garage:
other renault
Alan Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008   #3
tombardier
tombardier is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for your advice. My knowledge is limited, but common sense would tell me that it's electrical. It also tells me to be careful in case the misreporting sensor causes damage to the engine . I drove it earlier anyway, and it seems fine. I noticed that even if you don't turn the engine on from cold (After leaving it overnight), the temp gauge still goes right to the top after it's finished reporting the engine oil level. I had a look at my haynes manual which says that the thermostat is located to the left of the cylinder head. regardless of that, I've found what appears to be a disconnected cable, and am wondering if this is what the problem is. It seems to go from the radiator area to _something_. It's a small white cable with dark blue/purple stripes. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated. TIA!

i've included some pictures here (excuse my dodgy arrows):

Old 8th February 2008   #4
tombardier
tombardier is
has no status.
Threadstarter

one more thing.. the left of the cylinder head seems to have the cambelt wheel type thing. i'm a bit clueless, so someone might want to nudge me in the right direction here too
Old 8th February 2008   #5
hondo
hondo is
A Toyota Driver
Super-mod
Curveball Champion

Nominated 20 Times in 13 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 9
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Welch View Post
You wouldn't necessarily expect the coolant reservoir to get that hot since there usually is no water current through it; it only serves as a conveniant expansion chamber.
I don't want to contradict but on my old Lag1 RTDT there was always movement in the coolant reservoir when I got round to cleaning it I could even when cold see coolant coming from the pipe feeding reservoir.

The more you revved the engine the more water movement could be seen, although because I never had a problem with overheating I don't think I ever touched the reservoir when the engine was hot, so I don't know if the reservoir was hot or not, but I would suspect, it did get hot.
Currently in hondo's garage:
Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic SR Five year/100,000 mile warranty Free MOT For life when required. Inc of Red hot toasty feet :D
hondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaned, engine, overheating, problem, steam