Weird Trafic Engine/ECU Issue - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Weird Trafic Engine/ECU Issue

Engines

Old 11th March 2008   #1
Symztux
Symztux is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Weird Trafic Engine/ECU Issue

Hi,

Vehicle is a 2003 (52 plate) Trafic SL27, with 1.9DCI engine.

I had an issue some time ago which I reported back on here; my Trafic was "stuttering" during acceleration - almost feeling like you were accelerating, then not, then accelerating, then not etc etc. Ended up taking it down to a friends house, we took out the air flow meter, cleaned it with contact cleaner and put it back. This resolved the problem, and the engine has worked fine for some time since.

Recently, I started to notice a slight lag at 2500 rpm when accelerating it just seemed to slightly hesitate at that point. Barely noticable, but I had a feeling it might have been again related to the air flow meter. It was nowhere near as bad as it was originally.

Anyway, was heading home from Bognor Regis on Saturday night and was about 160 miles from home with a loaded van. Driving up the M3 I started to notice quite a severe loss in power, and hesitating acceleration whilst heading uphill. At first we thought it might be something to do with the hideous headwind, but it was far too regular. Took the exit from the M3 onto the A34 and had to stop at lights. Noticed then when pulling away that the van was only revving to 2000rpm. Suddenly, it kicked back in and we were on our way again, but still lacking in power.

At that point, I decide to call the RAC, as I figure I dont want to do any damage by driving it with this issue. A man comes out, removes the air flow meter and it appears to be broken - but it was the bit that looks like a disc with legs, which I believe to be the air temp sensor???? So we get recovered back, which took forever, and the man is sure the air flow meter is to fault.

So yesterday, I buy a new air flow meter and replace myself, and since then it has been behaving strangely; It seems to drive great, and there is no hesitation when accelerating up through 2500 rpm and beyond. (When I first connected the new one, it had BIG issues accelerating beyond around 2000-2500rpm - big hesitation. But that seemed to get better with time). The most bizarre thing, which seems to be very consistent, is that when driving the vehicle, I can rev anywhere up to 4000rpm, BUT whenever I come to a stop, park and rev it, it seems limited to 3000rpm. A stop and start rectifies this, but why is it going into limp home mode when it has just been driving Ok?

Does the ECU detect when the vehicle is moving and adjust accordingly?
Does the fact I have put in a new meter mean that I have to reset the ECU to learn the new one, in case it has slightly different values to the original?
Is it likely to be something else?

Also, just out of interest, how many miles are people getting out of a Trafic? Mine is currently at 193850 and when working normally drives very well. Is this issue an impending turbo failiure? Do the turbos go on Trafics?

Any light anyone can shed on any of this would be much appreciated,

Cheers.

Simon
Currently in Symztux's garage:
2003 Renault Trafic dci100
Symztux is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by Symztux
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Trafic Starting Problems Engines Symztux 3 2650 4th May 2008 02:31 AM
Replacing Alternator in a Renault Trafic Engines dave3009 3 12147 25th March 2008 05:40 PM
Weird Trafic Engine/ECU Issue Engines Plumbpipe 7 7042 11th March 2008 09:55 PM
1.9 dCi in Trafic - Acceleration Problem Engines hoodoo 7 27976 16th March 2007 06:00 PM
Trafic Stuttering between 2.5k and 3k rpm Engines Bazmc 3 2448 4th March 2007 09:26 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th March 2008   #2
Symztux
Symztux is
has no status.
Threadstarter

I dont like to bump threads, but there seems to be so many posts on this forum I think I got left behind!

Does anyone have any ideas? Why does my Trafic only rev to 3000rpm when stationery, but up to 4000rpm when moving????

Simon
Old 14th March 2008   #3
owenfackrell
owenfackrell is
has no status.
Diamond member

I know on the Lag dci engine it has different limits for when the engine is loaded and unloaded so i would suspect yours is the same but i don't know what the limits are set to.
Currently in owenfackrell's garage:
2007 57 plate megane II privilege 1.5 DCi estate (with Panoramic sunroof) and a 2001 Clio 1.4 Privilagein black , but has had laguna 1 rxe (both phases) and a 98 clio rxe and a Laguna II Sports Tourer 1.9Dci Privilege and a Megane Coupe 2.0 16v in red
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008   #4
Symztux
Symztux is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your response .. I dont think it is that as it never used to be like that, and other Trafics I have driven havent been like that either. It seems such a bizarre issue. My local garage read and cleared the fault codes yesterday, and I will return in a few days to see which ones re-appear and see if we can go from there. I am not overly optimistic though, and was hoping someone else may have come across it before.

If you stop and restart the engine again, even when stationary, it will rev up to 4000 rpm again. It seems something is making it switch in and out of limp home mode.

Simon
Old 18th March 2008   #5
andycolm
andycolm is
has no status.

Mine wont rev beyond about 2.5k in neutral but goes to the limiter when it is in gear with the clutch in.

I also had the loss of power the other week, for a couple of minutes until I could pull over and shut off the engine the re start after which it was fine and has been since.
The only thing I had noticed was that the turbo was not making its usual whistle when the power loss occured, but came back as soon as the power did. Is it an electronic wastegate on the DCi, and if so is this the cause or a symptom of going into 'limp home' mode.
There were no warning lights on the dash when this happened either.
Currently in andycolm's garage:
2008 Renault Grand Espace Dynamique 150 auto
andycolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine or ecu, issue, trafic, weird