Non Functioning rain sensing wipers - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Electronics

Notices

Electronics In Car Entertainment (ICE), Sat-Nav, lighting, wiring etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Non Functioning rain sensing wipers

Electronics

Old 3rd December 2008   #1
BraemarSH
BraemarSH is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Non Functioning rain sensing wipers

I've got a 55 plate Laguna II 2.2cDI Initiale with all the bells and whistles that Renault could come up with.

Currently the wipers only function as old fashioned intermittent wipers when set to position 1 rather than in full rain sensing mode. No amount of rotating the variable setting collar makes any difference.

Am I looking at a rain sensor fault, a wiper stalk fault or some computer somewhere ?

Thoughts anybody ?
Currently in BraemarSH's garage:
2005 Laguna II Initiale 2.2dCi
BraemarSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by BraemarSH
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Non Functioning rain sensing wipers Electronics R5gtt 13 13932 3rd December 2008 12:04 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd December 2008   #2
martin999
martin999 is
has no status.
Platinum member

Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
As far as I know, if the wipers are acting like variable intermittent, i.e. same amount of time between wipes depending on the collar setting, then either you car does not have rain sensing wipers, or they have been set to variable intermittent somehow (don't know how this is done, but would be interested to know!)

Our Scenic II has rain sensing wipers that do not work because (I think) someone has removed the 'optical bond' between the sensor and the screen. Basically they make one sweep when you turn them on, then do nothing. They also make one sweep when you change the collar setting and then do nothing again.

Wanna see what I drive? No pics of the latest Passat, but you can see the Scenic II here and the CB1000R here!

Previous Passat here and Bandit here.
Currently in martin999's garage:
2011 (11) VW Passat 2.0 TDi SE + options in Island Grey, 2011 (11) Honda CB1000R in Pearl Cool White... oh and a 2004 (54) Secnic II 1.5dCi Dynamique in Ottoman Blue !
martin999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd December 2008   #3
bigiainw
bigiainw is
all better now
I'm a drummer, I hit things!

Nominated 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraemarSH View Post
I've got a 55 plate Laguna II 2.2cDI Initiale with all the bells and whistles that Renault could come up with.

Currently the wipers only function as old fashioned intermittent wipers when set to position 1 rather than in full rain sensing mode. No amount of rotating the variable setting collar makes any difference.

Am I looking at a rain sensor fault, a wiper stalk fault or some computer somewhere ?

Thoughts anybody ?
If you ever find out what the problem is, can you let me know as I do have the rain sensing wipers and they are a royal pain in the armpit! Sometimes they go hell for leather with no rain, othertimes they go on strike in a downpour! Take my advice and leave them the way they are, ie, reliable and doing what they are meant to do!
Currently in bigiainw's garage:
2011 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique Tomtom 1.9dCi in Ruby red metalic/ 2006 Renault Clio III 1.2 16v 3dr Extreme in Post Box Red/ 2013 Renault Trafic LL29 2.0 dCi (euro 5) Sport Passenger in Luxurious Gun Metal Grey with Cruise control, now with parking sensors!!!
bigiainw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th December 2008   #4
saabguy
saabguy is
fed up with working.
Platinum member

Nominated 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Its usually a sign of a replaced windscreen that hasn't been fitted correctly. The sensor that sits next to the screen should be fitted with an airtight seal or they tend to work incorrectly.
Currently in saabguy's garage:
2002 Citroen C5 SX 2.2 HDi
saabguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 9th February 2009   #5
rickyaswell
rickyaswell is
has no status.

TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguy View Post
Its usually a sign of a replaced windscreen that hasn't been fitted correctly. The sensor that sits next to the screen should be fitted with an airtight seal or they tend to work incorrectly.
I have just had a new window screen and now my rain sensor is not working. I took it off the windowscreen and found they had lost one of the see through silicon rubber bits that goes over the sensor to the screen.
Like the quote above it does not work whilst it is off the screen but when i put it back its working again.Make sure you have the two see through silicon rubber bits over the sensors i had one missing but now i have replaced it its fine.As you look at the screen from the front of the car there is a little flickering orange light comming from the left hand sensor and when you put water over the right hand sensor (this one does not light up) it should turn on the wipers.
Currently in rickyaswell's garage:
2006 Renault Laguna II Initiale 2.0 dCi
rickyaswell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
functioning, rain, sensing, wipers

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.