Megane 1.5 DCi cambelt replacement price, reasonable? - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Megane 1.5 DCi cambelt replacement price, reasonable?

Engines

Old 15th December 2008   #1
Taipan
Taipan is
confused about knocks
Diamond member

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Megane 1.5 DCi cambelt replacement price, reasonable?

I need to get the cambelt changed on the Megane. Local place quoted an all inc price of 190 for a full kit with a 2 year/30k miles guarantee for up to 5k. Seems very comprehensive but apparently it only takes a couple of hours. What do the masses think of this price?

5 Lastest Threads by Taipan
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Potential purchase 03 Clio 1.2 with major... Electronics Dancingdad 4 288 14th February 2014 09:26 AM
Changing a battery on Megane 1.5DCI Electronics HeatherJ 7 3947 3rd October 2011 11:05 AM
Megane 1.5 DCi alternator pulley loose? Engines Taipan 2 2754 17th September 2011 01:52 PM
Flat battery and broken door lock. How can I get... Bodywork HeatherJ 7 2877 4th September 2011 10:20 AM
Megane 2 OSF knock over bumps?? Bodywork Taipan 5 3522 5th February 2011 04:04 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th December 2008   #2
Lagdti
Lagdti is
back.....sort of...:o)
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo

Nominated 19 Times in 19 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,058 Times in 916 Posts
Before making a decision I'd find out exactly what they mean by a full kit.I would add at least an auxillary belt to the list they should be changing and find out what is in the kit they'd fit.

I'm not familiar with the 1.5 dCi,but I suspect that there should be at least one idler,a tensioner,and the cambelt may drive the water pump too so it might be an idea to have that changed to.
Lagdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008   #3
madnoel10
madnoel10 is
has no status.
Technical Supremo

Nominated 56 Times in 55 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 21
Thanked 3,917 Times in 3,710 Posts
Cheap as chips especially if there is a warranty - go price a full timing kit and then work out the price. A kit is around 120 depending on make, etc. - plus about 2 hours labour.

Is he replacing the water pump and auxiliary belt as well
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
madnoel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008   #4
Taipan
Taipan is
confused about knocks
Diamond member
Threadstarter

He has a real good reputation locally. He just refers to it as a "full kit". I'll aask more tomorrow though. Heres the spec from his quote.

Make RENAULT
Model-Series X84/P1
Model MEGANE DYNAMIQUE DCI
Engine Model Code K9KTHP
Fuel Type DIESEL
Engine Capacity 1461
Power (KW) 59.7
Transmission MANUAL
No. of Gears 5
Body Style 3 DOOR HATCHBACK

190.59 full kit supplied and fitted inc parts labour & 15% VAT.

Quality of Parts

Cambelts (timing belts) fitted by us are manufactured by Gates Powergrip. This manufacturer supplies belts to be fitted in most auto manufacturing plants worldwide and are used in Honda, Toyota, Vauxhall, Ford, BMW, Rover, Renault to mention a few.

Our Guarantee

All cambelts fitted are subject to a 30,000 mile 2 year written guarantee. This guarantee is very comprehensive and is underwritten by Norwich Union and includes up to 5000 of rebuild cost in the unlikely event of failure. Included in the guarantee are three free return visits for checking of the installation. Although there is no dismantling carried out during these visits, sensitive detection equipment is sometimes used to listen for noises from the cambelt area. These visits ensure that our installation and your peace of mind are kept safe. These visits are carried out while you sit in the car and take around 2 minutes per visit.

Staff

Out of our staff of ten, only 1 of 3 persons will work on your cambelt. The youngest is 43 yrs old and and all three have a lifetime of experience in auto repairs. Martin Woodhouse, one of the three, is an expert and advisor to BBC Watchdog. You will never find a young inexperienced 20 year old working alone on your cambelt which is very common in most main dealers.

Video

All of our fitting bays and ramps have the facility to record to video your cars stay in our workshop. This is useful as once a belt is fitted you would not know that the job had in fact been done without major dismantling of the engine. Many people think that the belt which is seen under the bonnet is the cambelt. It is not. Rather one is looking at the auxillary drive belt. Rembember that when we give you the video, we are passing to you court admissible evidence of the work carried out. This stands as assurance to anyone buying the car from you as rock solid guarantee that the work has been carried out and to a high standard.

Workshop

We have the most up to date facility in Rayleigh. It is both clean and calm. Remember that cleanliness is absolutely vital when fitting cambelts. The inclusion of blown grit or dust into the area will severely shorten the life of the belt and it is something that we would never consider doing on a mobile basis. There is no area of our works that is not open to public scrutiny and you are very welcome to visit anytime, unannounced, in order to see our works.

http://www.cambeltking.biz/WIKFD/ser..._king_rayleigh
Currently in Taipan's garage:
2003 Renault Megane 1.5 DCi

Last edited by Taipan; 15th December 2008 at 06:26 PM.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010   #5
blueboi
blueboi is
has no status.

Re: Megane 1.5 DCi cambelt replacement price, reasonable?

thats a decent price 2 months ago it cost me 225 for a cambelt and water pump change.now i have have discovered i need a new engine. you dont happen to know the engine code for a 03 megane 1.5dci 80. looks like its gon na cost me an arm and a leg cheapest quote i've a for a recon engine is 850 +vat +del
Currently in blueboi's garage:
2003 renault megane expression 1.5 dci 80
blueboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cambelt, dci, megane, price, reasonable, replacement