Laguna 1.9 dci Turbo Failure with pics - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Laguna 1.9 dci Turbo Failure with pics

Engines

Old 5th April 2009   #1
Tricky631
Tricky631 is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Laguna 1.9 dci Turbo Failure with pics

I thought I would share my experience of how quickly these turbos fail. I own a 2002 Laguna 2 1.9 DCI 120, its done 75k miles. About a fortnight ago it developed a louder than normal whistle on boost considering the fragile nature of these turbos I wanted to check it out sooner rather than later. I took the air box to turbo pipe off and checked for play in the shaft, there was none more than expected. I checked for oil leaks, none, finally I checked all the pipes to the intercooler a little oil residue in there but concluded it was probably the intercooler on the way out or a hole in one of the pipes. As a precaution I ordered a turbo from my engine supplier and associated oil feed pipes from Renault.

On Friday I was driving home from work and noticed that the whistle became much louder not much longer after that I lost all power and covered all three lanes on both carriageways of the M69 in smoke. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and stalled the car sharpish. The following isn't relevant but I wanted to mention the exceptional service I received from the highways control centre who I spoke to on the motorway emergency phone and as soon as I had replaced the receiver back into the orange box and turned back to face my stricken vehicle the RAC man was already waiting to recover me home, he did a fantastic and super efficient job of it too!

Back to my tale of woe, I stripped off the air box to turbo pipe with a sense of deja vu. This time it was clear that the turbo bearings had collapsed. I removed the intercooler pipes draining a good measure of oil out of the alloy pipe. At this time it is worth removing the sensor out of the black plastic pipe that goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. The remainder of the work to get the turbo off was relatively easy the turbo is secured by three nuts to the exhaust manifold and three nuts to the catalytic converter, I removed the bolt from the driver's side bracing bar from engine block to cat and two bolts from the passenger's side bracing plate to cat to allow the cat to move to aid removal of the turbo, the oil return pipe is a bit fiddly it is secured by two 10mm bolts I removed it working from above the engine it may be easier to get at it from underneath the car, the oil feed pipe a piece of cake to remove with a spanner. using not much more than a 10mm socket, 10mm spanner, 13mm spanner, 17mm spanner and a 13mm socket, Ratchet and extension bar (and of course brute force and ignorance) the turbo was off in an hour or so.

With the turbo removed it was clear the shaft had snapped and the resulting movement had caused the blades on the impeller to crash against the turbo housing you can also see the engine oil that has been dragged through the trubo (see pics).

I then had to remove the intercooler to flush out another good measure of oil. Removing the intercooler involves removal of radiator grille, front bumper (including disconnecting fog lamps and headlight washers), headlights, and front slam panel/cross member. Once you have gained access the air con radiator must be unclipped from the intercooler this is secured with two clips at the bottom and then 'hung' onto the intercooler. With the clips removed its just a case of lifting the air con rad off the intercooler. The same operation has to be carried out for the intercooler as it is mounted in the same way to the radiator at this time I also removed the remaining black rubber elbow from the driver's side of the intercooler and the black plastic pipe that goes from the passenger side of the intercooler to inlet manifold. About 2/3rds of the war down the radiator you need to pull out a 'R' clip on each side these hold the radiator into its rubber mountings there is no need to drain and remove the radiator the is enough room to lift it out of its mountings and manoeuvre the intercooler clear of the car (see pic you can see the air con rad, intercooler just behind it and all the work you need to do to get there!). The pool of oil under the car is what drained out when I removed the alloy pipe.

I flushed out the intercooler using boiling hot soapy water and then ran warm water through it until it ran clear, I also cleaned out all of the other pipes. I did find four chunks of twisted metal in the air box to turbo plastic pipe presuming these to be part of the impeller vanes. Replacement of all parts is the opposite of removal. Turbo should arrive in the next day or two, hopeful that I have not done engine damage will keep you posted.
Currently in Tricky631's garage:
2002 Laguna II 1.9dCi Privilige Sport Tourer
Tricky631 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tricky631 For This Useful Post:
Abs (8th March 2012), DIGGER2020 (16th April 2012)

5 Lastest Threads by Tricky631
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane II high revs Engines popeye4th 10 4018 21st September 2011 07:51 PM
Laguna 1.9 dci Turbo Failure with pics Engines Muggerbee 87 101239 5th April 2009 11:48 AM
Hey all Im new Welcome to RenaultForums scatz 12 1057 7th January 2009 08:42 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th April 2009   #2
Lagdti
Lagdti is
back.....sort of...:o)
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo

Nominated 19 Times in 19 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,065 Times in 918 Posts
Nice post Tricky.

I'd check the exhaust system for oil too,it will smoke when you drive it for the first time as this oil burns off,but it can be kept to a minimum if you try and drain all you can out of it.
Lagdti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th April 2009   #3
Tricky631
Tricky631 is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
Nice post Tricky.

I'd check the exhaust system for oil too,it will smoke when you drive it for the first time as this oil burns off,but it can be kept to a minimum if you try and drain all you can out of it.
Thanks, have spent most of the weekend drainging oil out of places it shouldn't be! I hope that smoke is all I have to worry about when I start it up.
Currently in Tricky631's garage:
2002 Laguna II 1.9dCi Privilige Sport Tourer
Tricky631 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 7th April 2009   #4
micksid
micksid is
has no status.
Diamond member

TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
very good post, think im going to check for play in my turbo soon!!!

did u notice any wierd power delivery before turbo blew.

just with my lag 120dci at the min when i accelerate the boost seems to build up but the car goes no where then all of a sudden the boost shoots throw and i get power/pull.
Currently in micksid's garage:
2002 laguna sport tourer 1.9dci
micksid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th April 2009   #5
micksid
micksid is
has no status.
Diamond member

TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
did u manage to remove the turbo from top of the car
Currently in micksid's garage:
2002 laguna sport tourer 1.9dci
micksid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dci, failure, laguna, pics, turbo

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.