Front wipers not working at all. - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Electronics

Notices

Electronics In Car Entertainment (ICE), Sat-Nav, lighting, wiring etc.

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Front wipers not working at all.

Electronics

Old 21st May 2009   #1
abramm
abramm is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Front wipers not working at all.

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my '02 Megane II coupe. My front wipers have stopped working all together. They have been operating fine but I got in it today and switched on the wipers and nothing happened. I have checked the fuses and the electrical connection to the wiper motor which all seems ok. The only thing I notice is when I switch the wipers onto their fast setting I hear a click from around the fuse box area (possibly a relay?)
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Best Regards

AB
Currently in abramm's garage:
2002 Renault Megane 1.6 16v Coupe
abramm is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by abramm
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Error Code & Rough Running Engines Lagdti 8 1376 12th July 2011 08:19 AM
Front wipers not working at all. Electronics Jamda 18 21431 21st May 2009 04:54 PM
Megane Coupe ABS Problem Wheels & tyres abramm 11 7992 2nd March 2009 09:21 PM
Newbie Welcome to RenaultForums dave_mezza2006 3 556 2nd March 2009 08:59 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd May 2009   #2
abramm
abramm is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Smile Fixed It!!

The wipers are back up and running again. All credit has to goto member chickfromcaithness. She had the same problem last year and gave me the solution after I PM'd her.

One of the electrical connections in the wiper motor carrying the voltage had snapped. There is a plastic cover which unclips from the motor (where the multiplug connector is). This has metal tracks inside it which carry voltage. I was informed by chickfromcaithness that when her wiper motor was removed and opened up that one of the metal tracks had a break in it. Once it was soldered back together it was fine.

I can confirm that my Megane also had the same problem. I have repaired the wiper motor connections and it is all ok now.

Just thought this might save someone a new wiper motor.
Currently in abramm's garage:
2002 Renault Megane 1.6 16v Coupe
abramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009   #3
Kanon
Kanon is
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramm View Post
The wipers are back up and running again. All credit has to goto member chickfromcaithness. She had the same problem last year and gave me the solution after I PM'd her.

One of the electrical connections in the wiper motor carrying the voltage had snapped. There is a plastic cover which unclips from the motor (where the multiplug connector is). This has metal tracks inside it which carry voltage. I was informed by chickfromcaithness that when her wiper motor was removed and opened up that one of the metal tracks had a break in it. Once it was soldered back together it was fine.

I can confirm that my Megane also had the same problem. I have repaired the wiper motor connections and it is all ok now.

I have exactly the same problem with my wiper motor on my 2001 Megane 1. If I press on the plastic on the underside of the motor the wipers start working again. In the Haynes manual it says you have to remove the wiper arms so you can remove the plastic trim coverings to get at the wiper motor. The wiper arms are proving difficult to remove so I was wondering if it was possible to get at the motor without fully removing the plastic trim ie keep the wipers arm on? I dont know if the Megane 1 and 2 wiper motors are accessable in the same way. How easy was it to get at your motor?

K
Currently in Kanon's garage:
Megane 1.6 Fiji 2001, Mondeo Titanium x 2006
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009   #4
raymondo777
raymondo777 is
has no status.

Thumbs up Re: Fixed It!!

This front wiper problem just happened to me today.
Your post was most useful: I thought I was maybe going to have to get a new wiper motor.
I so pleased I checked this forum out.
Thanks again.
Currently in raymondo777's garage:
renault megane expression 2001 Y reg
raymondo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010   #5
raymondo777
raymondo777 is
has no status.

Re: Fixed It!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramm View Post

To add to this, on the subject of removing the wiper motor this might help:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/archi...p/t-33224.html

You don't have to remove the wiper arm to remove the plastic trim (below windscreen); as the archive post states you only need to remove the trim section below the driver side - two screws and then use a flathead screwdriver to ease this from the rest of trim (about where trim is over the wiper motor). It now looks that you would need to remove the wiper arm to remove this trim section completely but no - again use a flat blade to ease the trim from it's plastic tabs.

You may need to remove the battery protection cover so the the motor can be removed with ease. Then remove the motor as says in archive post above.

Don't think I had a broken metal track when I looked at mine. I had previously sprayed with WD40 (no joy) and so just cleaned and dried the fittings inside and out including just bending the metal track ends up slightly so would make a better connection.
The plastic housing which holds the metal tracks is removed by releasing the four plastic clips around the sides of the motor.

Anyway, wipers worked after refitting & reconnecting the motor. Sweet joy !!! Thanks again - all your posts gave me enough info & the confidence to attempt this job myself.

P.S. It goes without saying that you should check the fuse has not blown (for my Y reg megane expression, it's the yellow 20 AMP one, bottom row, third from the right - fuse box cover located above where the bonnet release handle is) - these small fuses can be a bit of a sod to remove (two flathead screwdrivers may come in handy).
Currently in raymondo777's garage:
renault megane expression 2001 Y reg
raymondo777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wipers, working