Trafic Van DIY Turbo Change - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Trafic Van DIY Turbo Change

Engines

Old 7th May 2006   #1
paraffinlamps
paraffinlamps is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Trafic Van DIY Turbo Change

After having my van diagnosed as having a turbo problem ( low boost due to seal failure ) ,a permenant fault with EGR Valve and Renault wanting 1600 to change just the turbo .I decided to have a go myself .
This post is to try and help others who may feel the same way .
Please note this is not a definitive guide and if you use this advise and wreck your engine/car it`s not my fault .If you have any doubts to your ability seek professional help .
Ok first thing I did was to source a new turbo .I managed by using various contortions to read the information stamped on the plate on the turbo and set about searching the net for a replacement .I finally managed to source a new one from Turboactive http://www.turboactive.com/
Cost was a reasonable 462 for a brand new unit with the old unit being returned to them at their cost .
I also tried to source a new EGR Valve and oil feed and drain pipes from non Renault suppliers but with great difficulty so ended up spending 227 with renault parts for a new EGR Valve, Oil filter , CAT/Turbo Gasket ,and turbo feed/drain pipes.
I set aside 3 days to do the work .
First thing was to drain the oil and replace the filter then while the oil was draining I decided to check access to the turbo and being a van it`s at the rear of the engine bay with very limited access from above and virtually none from below .I decided the best course of action was to remove the bonnet, bumper ,grille and front panel to gain better access .
Bonnet off first next the intercooler pipes ,the air filter,intercooler and then I decided to remove the heater blower motor which is mounted in the top of the engine bay see pic below ,fairly straightforward apart from a hidden bolt on the left front .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Enginebay.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	749
Then I set about removing the front grille and lights and finally the front panel ,after lots of swearing and bruised knuckles ( bear in mind there is no manual as such for this vehicle )
I arrived at this ,

Name:	frontoff2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	752
The turbo is behind the engine below the silver heatshield visible in the picture above .
So now to the turbo ,I sprayed wd 40 on all the fittings for the turbo while I worked out the best way to remove it .
Firstly off with oil feed pipe ,fairly easy .I plugged the hole on the engine side of the feed pipe to prevent any dirt or debris entering and also did the same to the turbo end. Then off with the vacum pipe to the wastegate valve .Next I decided to remove the CAT from the turbo again fairly easy ,the bottom two nuts being a little awkward .The next best thing is to remove the lower left hand bracket that holds the CAT to the block .This is awkward ,there is a simple 10mm nut on the CAT side ,however the fixing to the engine block is a torx type and access is difficult .I found after trial and error that moving the bracket up and down helped to release the torx bolt which was solid
A further 2 bolts on the right rear bracket of the CAT were removed enabling the CAT to be moved to the left out of the way .
The pic below shows the old turbo in situ ,the Cat feed pipe can be seen to the left and the awkward bracket is below here ,you will notice I have plugged the oil feed hole to the old turbo ,not really necessary but good practice .

Name:	oldturbo.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	751
Three nuts hold the turbo in place ,the two visible in the picture above ( bottom center) and one underneath on the manifold side of the engine ,again a little awkward to get to .So now the turbo is free ,however the oil drain pipe is still in place ,now as this is a push fit into the block I gently eased the turbo upwards which pulled the drain pipe out .
So time for the new turbo ,refitting is ,in the words of so many manuals ,a reverse of the above procedure .
HOWEVER OBSERVE THE POINTS BELOW
Use a new gasket for the turbo/Cat connection also note there is no gasket for the turbo/manifold connection
The oil drain pipe needs to be pushed into the block first and then the turbo fitted .DONT be tempted to bolt the drain pipe to the turbo and then push it in as you fit the turbo it doesn`t seat properly in the hole and will leak .The drain pipe has 2 o rings that seal it into the block and needs to be eased in using a twisting action ,impossible with the turbo fitted .I found this out the hard way and had to take the turbo out again to do it properly after oil poured out .It is however a nightmare to get to the drain feed pipes`bolts in ,persevere though and you will do it ,tip an inspection mirror is very useful to get them in and a knuckle joint socket extension is required to tighten the rear nut .
Another good idea is to bolt the turbo in looseley first and attach the oil feed pipe and tighten by hand ,next place a container under the turbo drain hole.Now refill the engine with oil ,I used 5 w40 fully synthetic diesel ,if you haven`t already done so and leave at least 15 mins .Disconnect the plug from the pressure regulator on the high pressure pump to stop the engine starting .Crank the engine a few times and make sure oil comes out from the drain hole on the turbo ( it will flow very quickly so be aware ) .This just ensures the turbo oil feed is not blocked
Pic below shows the new turbo in place

Name:	newturbo.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	750
After everything was bolted up I once again cranked the engine a few times just to be sure all was ok and no oil leaks .
While the front was off I decided to do the EGR Valve as well ,on the trafic van it`s mounted at the front as indicated by the arrow in the pic below .

Name:	Enginebay2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	753
Removal is fairly straightforward just 3 bolts and it can be eased out using a twisting motion .
Something overlooked by so many when the EGR Valve is out is cleaning the manifold where it fits , mine was quite dirty so I set to work with some carbcleaner and rags
Next I fitted the new valve with a new gasket ,shown below is the 2 units new and old .The old unit had been cleaned less than a week ago by Renault .

Name:	egrnewold.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	754
The last thing I did before rebuilding was to spend some time cleaning and inspecting all the hoses and cleaning the intercooler .I used carbcleaner on the hoses and paraffin on the intercooler .
After I had everything together I restarted the engine and left it to idle for a good 10 mins ,while I checked for oil leaks .I rechecked the oil level and went for a test drive .
Imagine how happy I felt as I REALISED IT WAS NO DIFFERENT .
It stilll wouldn`t pull from low down . I have made a seperate post about this though .
There were some very awkward moments doing this ,but on the whole it was fairly straightforward if somewhat lengthy .I would suspect I could do it in a day now after having done it once and knowing the pitfalls .
If any techs would like to add any useful information or anything they feel important I have missed I`m sure we would all appreciate it and I`ll edit my post accordingly .
If anyone has any questions I will also do my best to help
I just hope this helps a few people who may feel like going the DIY route.
Neil
Currently in paraffinlamps's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.9 dci
paraffinlamps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paraffinlamps For This Useful Post:

5 Lastest Threads by paraffinlamps
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Trafic Van lack of power under 2500rpm Engines sysbt 2 4809 7th May 2006 11:35 AM
Trafic Van DIY Turbo Change Engines paraffinlamps 7 15683 7th May 2006 10:44 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th May 2006   #2
selwonk
selwonk is
has no status.
Edit

Fantastic post Neil. Should spark some interesting technical discussion. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem - you deserve to having put so much effort in
Old 7th May 2006   #3
paraffinlamps
paraffinlamps is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks Selwonk .
I have gleaned a fair bit of info from the forums so I thought it only reasonable to give some back.
It was disheartning and I did feel like driving it into the cut ( canal ) but I shall persevere .
Currently in paraffinlamps's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.9 dci
paraffinlamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006   #4
chris m
chris m is
tired but hopeful
Let's be carefull out there

Nominated 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Thats just the attitude that makes the forum what it is. Well done mate.
Old 16th May 2006   #5
bonedavid
bonedavid is
has no status.
Platinum member

Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Thumbs up

superb post...well described and well presented.

congratulations...a future is in the making methinks.
Currently in bonedavid's garage:
women wild
bonedavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, diy, trafic, turbo, van