Renault Kangoo Van: Not Starting - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum » Problem Solving » Ask the Experts » Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Renault Kangoo Van: Not Starting

Engines

Old 4th December 2009   #1
chandelirious
chandelirious is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Kangoo Van: Not Starting

Alrighty There People...

I need your help.

1998 Renault Kangoo 1.9D

Okay, a few weeks ago the van wouldn't start. I'd just driven it the short distance from work to the shops, and when I came out again, it wouldn't start. Used jump leads to get it going, fine. Next day, fine.

Jump forward two weeks, and coming home from work, going up-hill at 40mph, changing from 4th to 3rd, engine dies. Typical dead battery scenario, lights on dash, etc. Again jump start it, drive home. Next day, wouldn't start.

Put the battery on charge overnight, still wouldn't start. Usual dead battery noise, engine barely turning over, you get the picture.

Yesterday, bought a brand spanking new battery from the shop, £50.00, fitted it, exactly the same problem. As if it's a dead battery.

Dammit.

So. Glow plugs seem to work fine, get a light on the dash for about 10 seconds, I can hear them whirring/clicking/whatever. I've done a bit of research, and found that it could be the starter motor, and initial advice is see if there's any dirt/corrosion on it, clear it with contact cleaner stuff. Great, I'll try it.

Two questions:

1. WHERE IS THE STARTER MOTOR??!!

2. Could it be something else?

Okay, let's just clarify something here - I am not a mechanic or engine-minded in any way. I open the bonnet, look for a moment, then think, "Get a garage." Me looking under the bonnet is as good as a blind person looking at a Michelangelo. (No offense to blind people. Or Michelangelo.)

So, help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Currently in chandelirious's garage:
Renault Kangoo Van, 98 plate; Vauxhall Corsa, 07 plate
chandelirious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by chandelirious
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Kangoo Van Won't Start... Engines chandelirious 0 4013 31st January 2011 08:03 AM
Advice Wanted: Servicing my Kangoo Van Engines Hammer-ter 6 6091 9th September 2010 10:56 AM
Creating a mobile workshop in the Kangoo van... Interiors qwakers 6 3543 6th May 2010 01:39 PM
Renault Kangoo Van: Not Starting Engines chandelirious 23 5942 4th December 2009 02:11 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th December 2009   #2
VelSatisfied
VelSatisfied is
International, but his heart is always where the weather's nice.
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants

Nominated 10 Times in 36 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 16
Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,612 Posts
Re: Renault Kangoo Van: Not Starting

Hi there.

The starter motor is normally located deep in the bowels of the engine bay beside the flywheel.

It should look something similar to this pic;

Although, from what you describe it sounds more like a charging issue, or the battery is somehow draining itself overnight.

Hope that helps,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter motor.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	8762  

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2005 MB CLS 55K AMG uprated to 605bhp / 608lb/ft & 155mph limiter removed courtesy of a stage 2 upgrade by DMS Automotive
VelSatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th December 2009   #3
chandelirious
chandelirious is
has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regarding it draining overnight, that's what I thought - but I bought a brand new battery, put it in (the shop told me it was charged and ready to go), and it still didn't start.

My dad thought it may be a fuel problem, but then I pointed out that I had jumped it and driven home - which I wouldn't have been able to do had it been a fuel delivery problem.
Currently in chandelirious's garage:
Renault Kangoo Van, 98 plate; Vauxhall Corsa, 07 plate
chandelirious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th December 2009   #4
VelSatisfied
VelSatisfied is
International, but his heart is always where the weather's nice.
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants

Nominated 10 Times in 36 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 16
Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,612 Posts

Yes, but if it were entirely a starter motor issue, then jump starting it wouldn't help either (that just prevents the battery from draining further)...

Its a puzzler, that's for sure.

Paul
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2005 MB CLS 55K AMG uprated to 605bhp / 608lb/ft & 155mph limiter removed courtesy of a stage 2 upgrade by DMS Automotive
VelSatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th December 2009   #5
o9p0
o9p0 is
has no status.

Sorry for my english.

A couple years ago before the company replace the kangoo 1.9d with a kangoo 1.5 dci 70, i had similar problems like yours except the one of the engine died while moving.

I'm my case the renault dealer replaced four glow plugs and said to me that the fuel pump had a small leak if we liked to repair it.
I asked my boss and he said no because we were expecting a new kangoo.
A few of days later the van didn't started (low battery) and we call the insurance and the send a tow truck.
They start the van with a booster and all was fine during that day, next day the same thing, so we went to buy a new battery.
That battery last 2 or 3 days max and we back were we started.

All of these problems were caused by the small leak in the fuel pump that was dropping "small" amounts of diesel inside the alternator.
All that was why we had all the electric problems.

Since we detect what was the problem we took to a small repair shop who specializes in diesel fuel pumps and had it repaired (€50 if i'm not mistaken) and had the alternator repaired in a bosch car service who is specialized in alternators (€60 if i'm not mystaken ).

Since both repairs the van started fine everytime until we traded for the new kangoo a couple weeks later.

So in your case try to find if your fuel pump is leaking into the alternator, in my case was very easy to spot the leak.
Currently in o9p0's garage:
2003 Renault Clio Societé 1.5 DCI 65cv
o9p0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
kangoo, renault, starting, van

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.