What not to do with your power steering fluid levels ! - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

What not to do with your power steering fluid levels !

Engines

Old 6th February 2010   #1
openmtl
openmtl is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
What not to do with your power steering fluid levels !

Here is the experience I had with losing the power steering pump fluid on an RX4 2.0 litre petrol LHD (year 2000) due to never really paying attention to what level it was at !
Going down drive-way and then on curve noticed that suddenly the steering started to get these stiff spots when rotating the steering wheel. A bit like when you rotate an electric motor and you feel these easy and then hard bits as it rotates past the magnets - a smooth resistance. Checked fluid and it was empty !.
D'oh !. Can't remember last time I checked. One of those things. Every other fluid I check but....
Didn't have any fluid but got the car backwards up the driveway and then checked Internet for what fluid type. AGIP ATF II D (which I found on the Internet on a dealer lubricants sheet). Used bike to go buy some fluid. Topped up and then did a few full lock- to lock turns but still had these hard spots. Nothing really bad - like driving an old Landrover.
Also when you open the PS fluid reservoir (located to the front near the radiator) then it has a black tubular insert (3cm diameter by around 8 cm deep) . This slides up and out. It is an anti-splash baffle with a filter mesh on the bottom. This may have a very fine sludge on it (mine did). I used new fluid to clean this off.
Ran it down the road and around the block but still not right. It basically took around 20-30 kilometers of slow windy roads and at least 1 week for it to get rid of whatever air had got in and get back to normal. Have run it for 300 kms since then (around 2 weeks ago) and no problems. Fluid levels OK so it was just my lack of attention but it's not catastrophic.
Currently in openmtl's garage:
2000 Renault Scenic RX4 2.0 Petrol
openmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 Lastest Threads by openmtl
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
What not to do with your power steering fluid... Engines madnoel10 1 5913 6th February 2010 01:39 PM
What treatment to fix gouge on undercarriage ? Bodywork Lagdti 2 940 10th August 2008 09:57 PM
Renault Scenic 1 - Closest Haynes Manual... Cars & motoring Lagdti 1 3560 6th August 2008 03:19 PM
RX4 2.0 L Petrol not firing - TDC sensor cleaned... Engines openmtl 1 1241 26th February 2008 12:43 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th February 2010   #2
madnoel10
madnoel10 is
has no status.
Technical Supremo

Nominated 4 Times in 57 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 21
Thanked 4,091 Times in 3,863 Posts
Re: What not to do with your power steering fluid levels !

In my experience hydraulic fluid levels rarely fall unless there is a leak somewhere. The black gunge ain't a good sign as the fluid may be very dirty and need changing.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
madnoel10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fluid, levels, power, steering

Quick Reply
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.