Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Go Back   Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum Problem Solving Ask the Experts Engines

Notices

Engines Engines and other oily matters

RenaultForums
... Quick links
... Forum list
... Your dashboard
... Search the forums
... List new posts
... List today's posts
... List 0 reply posts
... Live post list (iSpy)
... Most viewed threads
... Special offers
... Members
... Member list
... Member map
... Member's gallery
... Who is online?
... Social groups
... Forum leaders
... Information
... FAQ index
... Garage list
...   Map version
... Glossary
... View our rules
...   Advertising
...   Privacy policy
... Contact us
... Feedback
... Fun stuff
... Arcade games
... Chat room
... Folding@Home
... Data
... Who drives what?
... Who supports who?

Use the drop-down below to display RenaultForums in the language of your choice.

Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power

Engines

Old 27th July 2010   #1
Eedam
Eedam is
has no status.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power

Hey all.

Now i'm going to try and explain this as best as possible so bear with me.

I own a W reg Megane 1.6 16v Sport with 57k miles on the clock.

When i'm pulling away from a junction or travelling up a hill and i put my foot down, i suddenly lose all power and the accelerator is unresponsive for about 1-2 seconds. It seems to work ok soon afterwards but the problem repeats. The weird thing is, i don't have this problem when my trip computer reads over 140 miles left. As soon as it hits 135-140 miles to go I start losing power. I don't get any warning lights and whilst i can replicate the problem by driving up a hill, it feels quite random around a corner.

I've read many threads on this very site about meganes losing power but none have mentioned anything about having lower fuel when the problem occurs. I've also read about many fixes, from a fault in the ECU, coils to a simple earthing problem. I've just been getting around the problem by treating 140 as the empty point of my fuel tank.

My main theory is not that the fuel isn't igniting, but more to do with the fuel intake, it doesn't feel like its actually taking in any fuel (if i'm making any sense).

So here is my question, after seeing a lot of the solutions. What do you think i should try to fix first? I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment so anything i can do myself to attempt to fix it would be brilliant. I also don't want to spend money on parts that don't need fixing, so any ideas you may have on diagnosing the problem myself would be much appreciated.
In the bad news that it is the fuel system, can anyone give me a rough figure on how much it would cost?

Hope i was clear enough, if anyone needs any information or wants me to test anything out let me know. I currently have my trip computer telling me i have 90 miles remaining as i wanted to be in a position to test any ideas people may have and to see if my car is reading fuel correctly in the first place.

Cheers!
Currently in Eedam's garage:
2000 Renault Megane 16v 1.6 Sport
Eedam is offline   Reply With Quote

5 Lastest Threads by Eedam
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power Engines central161 2 1924 27th July 2010 02:39 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th July 2010   #2
Dewgel
Dewgel is
has no status.

Re: Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eedam View Post
Hey all.

Now i'm going to try and explain this as best as possible so bear with me.

I own a W reg Megane 1.6 16v Sport with 57k miles on the clock.

When i'm pulling away from a junction or travelling up a hill and i put my foot down, i suddenly lose all power and the accelerator is unresponsive for about 1-2 seconds. It seems to work ok soon afterwards but the problem repeats. The weird thing is, i don't have this problem when my trip computer reads over 140 miles left. As soon as it hits 135-140 miles to go I start losing power. I don't get any warning lights and whilst i can replicate the problem by driving up a hill, it feels quite random around a corner.

I've read many threads on this very site about meganes losing power but none have mentioned anything about having lower fuel when the problem occurs. I've also read about many fixes, from a fault in the ECU, coils to a simple earthing problem. I've just been getting around the problem by treating 140 as the empty point of my fuel tank.

My main theory is not that the fuel isn't igniting, but more to do with the fuel intake, it doesn't feel like its actually taking in any fuel (if i'm making any sense).

So here is my question, after seeing a lot of the solutions. What do you think i should try to fix first? I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment so anything i can do myself to attempt to fix it would be brilliant. I also don't want to spend money on parts that don't need fixing, so any ideas you may have on diagnosing the problem myself would be much appreciated.
In the bad news that it is the fuel system, can anyone give me a rough figure on how much it would cost?

Hope i was clear enough, if anyone needs any information or wants me to test anything out let me know. I currently have my trip computer telling me i have 90 miles remaining as i wanted to be in a position to test any ideas people may have and to see if my car is reading fuel correctly in the first place.

Cheers!
Did you ever get this sorted mate? I've got a similar problem but I've never tried filling mine to the brim yet.. I've always only had 100 miles left. Mine seems to choke and splutter when I put my foot on the floor, does yours cure itself? Mine won't rev past 3,000rpm..
Dewgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010   #3
central161
central161 is
has no status.

Re: Megane 1.6 16v Sport Loss of power

hi i would start by eliminating the obvious ,assuming that you don't have service history and you don't know when it had a good service done ,and bearing in mind that 57k is very very low for a W reg car, i would start first by changing the fuel filter as if this filter is 10 yrs old i am sure is ready for a change ,second, i would fill half a tank (let's say £15 )of fresh petrol and reset the trip computer as to make sure that it is accurate and matches the fuel gauge,If you are running the car with the trip computer showing 130 left it must be near empty in any case .
If after filling petrol the problem is solved i would defnetly change the fuel filter ,it must be due in any case -see how you go!
central161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16v, loss, megane, power, sport