Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Laguna II 2001 Model recently failed an M.O.T because of the nearside front wishbone. I called a Renault Main Dealer just off the M4 and was quoted £390 all in. I’ve been taking my car to them for years but felt this seemed extremely high.

I decided to call an Independent Renault garage and was told £136+VAT. I tried a third garage, another Renault Main Dealer for a price comparison and was advised that the part is £65+VAT and it would take approximately 1 hour and would cost £160 all in.

Now I can’t see how there can be such a difference in price between two Main Dealers. One is clearly ripping people off and now I can only think of all the money I have blown taking the car to them. The £1000 last year to get it through it’s MOT probably would have only cost £600 elsewhere. I certainly won’t be going back.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh sounds like a rip-off to me - although there is a possibilty the renault dealers quoted for both sides to be done - this is the general recommendation because as soon as you replace one side the other is likely to fail shortly afterwards. The other reason for the difference in price is that the dearer quote wmay have been for genuine replacement parts whereas the others are using non-generic components.:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi the way i look at it is all of these dealers work by ripping us all off for parts and labour:crazy: :steam:i have always used a independent garage and get all my repairs done and parts from local motor factors for half the price or even less sometimes:) if guess if you have money to give away to those dealers then go ahead,i guess if you buy a new car and you have to go back because to keep the warranty in order, well what are the consequences if you do not???,i have never bought a car from new as i cant get my head round the price lose from new to second hand:crazy: i would rather buy second hand and let the first owner feel the BANG in the wallet:crazy: all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
totally agree with donald

i priced a timing belt change with 2 renault main dealerships, one quoted £300 all in and the other £215

There should be a standard price across the board for jobs like this which usually take a set amount of time and require a set number of parts. if the job works out to be more complicated, then you should be contacted by the dealer and explained why and if further work meets yor approval.

do they think we're daft and wont ring round a few dealerships to compare prices??:confused:

i'm with you donald, i get my work done independently and can source genuine renault parts much cheaper than from a dealer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main dealer's quote was for just one wishbone because they replaced the other side last year. Last year I had a few jobs done to get it through the MOT and cambelt so the invoice for £1000 didn't clearly show how much each part was or the labour for each individual job.

Being told £390 took me back and they then confirmed they'd replaced the otherside before. Part of me was expecting to have to replace this side but I also was hoping it was the same side so it would be under warrently.

To find another main dealer quoting under half the price helped me realise what a rip off some garages are. Also they are all using genuine Renault parts.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I had a new ball joint fitted to the wishbone, these are now available and my local garage did the whole job for £45.00.

That's better than your quote of £390.00 !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard that was possible but only one garage gave me that as an option and wanted £120, I thought I might as well get the whole arm replaced.

Apparently the ball joint is riveted to the arm and the new parts come with nuts and bolts. You simply drill out the rivets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's over a week later and I can't help still feeling annoyed that the Renault garage wanted to charge me £390 to replaced the nearside wishbone.

I have just spoken to their parts department who told me the cost of the part is £52.61+VAT. I asked him to confirm it was a genuine Renault part and apparently they only sell genuine parts. I also asked them to confirm the labour charge and that is £80 per hour.

I know the job takes 1.5 hours as this was confirmed by two other garages. With all this information the most they could have charge me would be £200, so what is the other £190 for.

I have called the garage and asked them to break down the quote so I know the cost of labour and parts. Will let you know when they call me back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts