Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
£2400 bill for Laguna 6-speed gearbox and warranty problems

I bought my 2002 1.9 dCi Laguna 4 months ago, with 56,000 miles on the clock. I took out a 24 month warranty with Warranty Management Services at a cost of £395. Just over a week ago, I was driving along the A41 and found that I was unable to select 6th gear. I came off the A41 and went straight to VP Autos Ltd at Boxmoor to ask them to check it out. They took the gearbox out and said it would need to be re-built. I passed them the warranty document and a few days later, got a call from them to say that WMS were refusing to honour the warranty. I phoned WMS, who said that wear and tear was specifically excluded from the warranty!

It seems to me this is dishonest practice and they have cheated me out of £395 - how can you offer a warranty for a second-hand car if you are going to exclude wear and tear? On that basis they would never pay out for anything that goes wrong! And is a car with 63,000 miles on the clock suffering from wear and tear?

I am now facing a bill of £2400 for a recon gearbox and clutch replacement. Can anyone suggest any redress I might have against WMS or the car dealers (Kings Langley Motors) who sold me the car?

Thanks,

Slow Loris

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi slow loris and welcome to the forums:)

thats a bit of a sore one to be honest, as you've only done 7000 miles in the car so how they can say this is wear and tear is beyond me:crazy: the car must have had this fault underling when you bought it. so argue this
but best thing to do is get some legal advice on the matter and someone who knows the ins and outs. even if you dont get the full amount of the warranty company they should at least make a contribution.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure what redress you would have against the dealer (I'm based in Scotland, and English law may be different)- but it's standard practice for warranty companies to exclude wear & tear - they normally cover items for failure due to a manufacturing or material defect which has directly caused the failure. There may also be evidence of abuse by the previous owner which has been accounted for.

I would think that you have cause to seek redress from the dealer, as the mileage & age is low enough (in my opinion) for the repair to be unreasonable to expect (it would be different if the car was twice as old & had double the mileage).

Have you contacted the selling dealer?

Paul:)

O

·
0 Posts
If you bought it off a dealer 4 months ago then they have to pay to repair it.

I'll dig out post with the details

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
It is very difficult to advise on this without knowng a bit more,.

But firstly I would contact them in writing asking why this was regarded as fair wear and tear.

Secondly I would contact the dealership where you purchased the vehicle. Contact a Renault workshop to see what warranty work was carried out on the car previous to your purchase.

Contact trading standards, Visit if you can and take your warranty documents with you.

Do all these things quickly, Keep a copy of all correspondence, Contact names etc.

Regards

Ottoman

S

·
0 Posts
I think you should be able to get the dealer to sort this out, but the warranty company welching on the deal is a bit rum IMO. Yes - if you had worn the clutch out fair enough, but a gearbox?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for these helpful and prompt replies!

I will do as you suggest and contact the dealer, Trading Standards and then write to the Warranty company. I'll let you know how I get on.

Slow Loris

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
As I have said if you contact an Renault dealer they can give you a print out of all warranty work done on your car, if they did warranty work on the gearbox maybe this would still be covered by a warranty, tho I would expect it to be null and void if a non Renault workshop had stripped down the box.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
A very unfortunate but not uncommon situation with the 6 speed PK6 gearbox..
What has exactly failed? Selector, Fork, Syncro, Baulk ring??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've now checked with the garage, who said (if I've got it right) that a pinion bearing was broken. Apparently the engineer from the warranty company took lots of photos of the gearbox but did not make any comment to the garage mechanics. I would have thought that if there was something broken within the gearbox then it would be difficult for the warranty company to claim that that represents wear and tear. I've now sent a stiff letter to the warranty company and another one to the dealers from whom I bought the car, and will await their replies with interest. Today I went to pick up the car and am now £2,408 the poorer! However, I have to say that it sounds much better than before and also seems to have a bit more poke.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Hello Everybody :d

Reactions: Lagdti
1 - 15 of 15 Posts