Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening, find this site so helpful - theres loads of good advice and links - im getting all confused with so much info and wonder if someone could help please.

I have a 2000 megane coupe 1.6 petrol - had a problem about 6 months ago with the car loosing power every now and again which became progressively worse - no warning lights, wasnt linked to cold/heat - turns out to be the coils (apparantly not the correct renault ones as per the renault dealer) Car went fine for a few thousand miles until last week then the same problem happened again, lost total power on the motorway - no warnings - restarted it and it went fine - happened again 4 times on a long journey but hasnt happended since. Is it likely that the new coils need replacing or is it more than likely the dead centre sensor(??) which i saw on other threads or as my mechanic suggested I may have to have the fuel pump changed (I think he may have been bluffing though!) Ide appreciate any help you could give, thanks a million, CG

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi:) how many coils were replaced. was it all four?
also does the engine management light come on when the fault is present?

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Alex, yea all 4 were changed and the engine light comes on when it stalls. Managed to get tru today the week without any bother although it seems a bit sluggish. Think im gonna get rid but wanna sort the problem 1st....

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Just a few ideas...

It could be that as a result of the previous misfire that the catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe has broken up and when it gets hot,blocks the exhaust causing the poor running.It usually rattles,though,and you haven't mentioned an exhaust rattle.

It could be that one of the new coils is faulty.Do you know if the plugs were changed at the same time as the coils last time?

It could also be a TDC sensor fault,fuel feed problems or a number of other things!:eek:.Have you had the ECU fault codes read since this problem has come back?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! so the exhaust doesnt rattle, i reckon the plugs werent changed as it didnt cost much and that was at a renault garage - they just charged for the coils.

I havent had the ECU codes read or anything done since - i prob should just take it to the garage and get them to hook her up to the computer - would this pick up on fuel feed problems and sensors etc? They charge €100 just to hook her up though!

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hi:) As Lagdti Said Get The Fault Codes Read First As This Should Pinpoint The Problem.this Is Why I Asked If The Engine Management Light Had Come On As It Stores A Fault Code

Good Luck Alex:)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I THINK IT WAS 100 EUROS LOL:rofl:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
YIP THATS ALSO TRUE:eek: THATS WHY IM A MECHNIC AND NOT AN ACOUTANT LOL:d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes superbiatch and alex its €100 rip off ireland for ya! dont know of anywhere else you can get it done any cheaper - plus you have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appointment - crazy! may talk nice to guys at garage!

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
yes superbiatch and alex its €100 rip off ireland for ya! dont know of anywhere else you can get it done any cheaper - plus you have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appointment - crazy! may talk nice to guys at garage!
Hi Coupe_Gal, have a look on here - you may well find one who can do your diagnostic check a bit cheaper and quicker http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/national-recommended-garages.html

:)

Alternatively, sift thru here :)

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/3819-dealer-garage-recommendations.html?highlight=dealer+recommendations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts