Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

I want to get at the fuel injectors to see what sort of condition they're in, as part of trying to find out why the car doesn't start well.

I thought the alloy injector cover was held on with male torx-headed bolts and bought a set of sockets, but looking again it seems I was wrong.

Looks like there are two normal bolts deeply recessed into the cover but I can't get ordinary sockets down the holes. Presumably some sort of skinny/thin-walled socket is required.

Anyone know exactly what I need, please?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're just a 12mm, but will probably need a 3/8 drive (or smaller) long reach socket to get to them

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but once you have the tools, you don't need to buy them for the next job!

D

·
0 Posts
I don't have a 'set', but have a rail of long reach ones which come in damn handy. Probably even get away with just a 1/2"-3/8 converter so you dont have to but a new ratchet

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's certainly worth considering - thanks! I've got a set of converters coming, so maybe all I need is the deep sockets.

D

·
0 Posts
may need some 3/8 extension bars too, but they're cheap enough.

I bought a decent Britool set a couple of years ago, and has a damn good selection of bits in it. Doesn't have 3/8, but has 1/4 drive long reach, E sockets, torx, screwdriver bits etc etc.
Search around and you can find it for arounf the £100 + vat mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice kit - but a bit expensive for me in my impoverished state. I've cobbled together the bits I need on fleabay, however.

Now just need Royal Mail to get its act together and deliver them - then we shall see!

R

·
0 Posts
You need a deep long series 13mm A/F socket to remove the 2 nuts that retain the casting that protects the fuel rail.

R

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, well, I've been collecting tools since I was 12 (am now 52), and I love them, so I don't need much of an excuse to buy more; only a lack of funds brought about by being largely out of work prevents me doing so!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts