Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can give some advice here, I got a lift home from the RAC last night

I was travelling up the M6 at about 11.30, I dipped the radio volume and could hear a noise coming from somewhere beneath the passenger footwell, sounded like a flapping noise that wasn't too bad until I accelerated uphill, then it got really noisy, but wasn't too bad when travelling at steady speed.

I travelled about another 12 miles and made it to Stafford services, as I slowed down the noises got louder and very whiney .. nothing when idling and revving engine.

On inspection in engine compartment, there looked like signs of a slight leak on top of the gearbox? I think, but underneath there was a large amount of water? leaking onto the floor.

Called the RAC, and explained I thought it was gearbox, who said they'd send out a patrol and put a recovery on standby.. but only a recovery truck (contracted) turned up, the mechanic said he thought the water leaking was just a drainage point from windscreen area (just a coincidence), and the noise sounded like a wheel bearing.

Anyway.. he took us home (60 miles), as I pulled it up the drive the noise seemed to be louder and very grindey, like metal to metal.

I've jacked it up this morning and spun both front wheels that sound exactly same, noisy, but nothing like when being driven, took it for a short spin down the road and its very very noisy and grinding but only when moving, gears seem to change ok, with no undue noise.

Does anybody have an idea what it might be? before I take it into the garage tomorrow, I'm no mechanic and don't want to be stung.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Neil

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Neil - could be a damaged drive shaft - one of the couplings may have collapsed - if oil has leaked out further driving may damage the gearbox due to low oil level.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response,but welcome to the forum!:)

Have you had the car repaired,and if so what was it?

Thanks.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts