Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My toxic warning light has come on and stayed on, Ive checked all the finger coils and plugs oxygen sensor changed and the car is still running like a bag of hammmers and is using lots of fuel

Any suggestions??????????????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Fs2230.

Could you give us more deatils I.E engine size etc.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coil packs

I had the same problem about a month ago. One or more of your coil packs have gone. This has two effects: Firstly, the engine is not running on all cylinders, and therefore runs like a bag of nail (and high fuel). Secondly, the unspent fuel contaminates the combustion gas sensor leading to the light on your dash. Once the offendind coil pack is changed it will take ~50 miles for the light to go off.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi good responce from jefftutton, its 99% likely to be the coils, the o2 sensor is detecting the unburnt fuel causing the eml to come on.
take out the coils have a look on the plastic part of the coil that sits below the head and above the rubber that sits over the sparkplug can you see any black track lines?
check out the side of the coils there will be 4 numbers ie 330 3 if the numbers are lower lower than this replace them all if above just replace the faulty one!
you wont be able to get an idea of which one is faulty because they are a paired line and when you disconect one the other one will shut down its signal, only wayto single out the cylinders is to run the engine and individually disconect each injector connector!
good luck bigshow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there - I have just had exactly the same symptoms on my 01 Scenic on the way back from work...the engine just doesn't want to pull. Could you give me an indication on how much replacing the coils will be, I don't want to get ripped off when I take it into the garage tomorrow!

MANY THANKS ~ Dangerous

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this on my 01 1.4 16V clio (only 19,000Mls). Driving Ok yesterday then sudden loss of power and loads of missfire.
Anyway need the car tomorrow so had to get a coil from Renault £40.54:devil:

Was going to ask on here if this was a frequent problem when I found this thread.

Bigshow - great post and on the nail about it being difficult to identidy the faulty coil. Took a number of swops to find the duff one.
The unit that came out is 183 1 made by sagem. Don't know what the new on is but is made by valeo (its in the car).
I take your point about changing all 4. Do you or anyone else know a cheaper supplyer other than Renault. Another £120 on top of the £40 is bad news.

Dave

Edit
I've only got dial up and this forum although GREAT is a bit slow to load and searching is a pain.
Anyway just found more info and voted in the poll - seems like all the 2001 ish coils are a very expensive ticking bomb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto on the comments above, the diagnosis was bang on and I was able to buy two new coils from GSF this morning for £23 incl. VAT each and fitted them myself without any issues although a cheapy T30 screwdriver again from GSF didn't budge the remaining two coils but they can wait for another day.

Engine fired up first time and now all is back to normal....and far cheaper than taking it to my local garage.

The info on these forums is superb, keep up the good work!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts