Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP

Have a problem with my 2003 Clio 1.5 Dci 80, its only done 43K but now has an engine fault "apparently", after 45 mins at 80mph on the M1 the engine suddenly sounded like a bag of spanners, promptly pulled over and called the breakdown service.

The breakdown guy suspected a faulty cam or cam followers as it was a very loud top end clatter. The car was put on a low-loader and taken to garage local to me.

When taken off the low-loader and driven into the garage car park it was still clattering. The garage came to diagnose the problem the next day after standing overnight and the clatter had gone "confused".

The garage "think" the clatter was from the hydraulic tappets and suspect oil related issues and have advised to drive locally only and take it back when the clatter comes back, not much use to me as I don’t work locally. I have driven 4 miles this morning with no clatter.

The car was serviced a few weeks ago, semi-synthetic diesel oil was used during the service.

Has anyone else experienced similar and does anyone know what's causing the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a very similar problem with my dci 80, the car drives fine but has a very loud to end tapping like bad tappets, I am currently still investigating but its not mechanical, the sound is caused by diesel knocking, I am getting various errors on the ecu, including egr and camshaft timing sensor, I am having a new sensor fitted this week, although the car sounds like a tractor it drives fine, I don’t even get an fault code light on the dash,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a very similar problem with my dci 80, the car drives fine but has a very loud to end tapping like bad tappets, I am currently still investigating but its not mechanical, the sound is caused by diesel knocking, I am getting various errors on the ecu, including egr and camshaft timing sensor, I am having a new sensor fitted this week, although the car sounds like a tractor it drives fine, I don’t even get an fault code light on the dash,
I've noticed the same issue the last few weeks with my dCi 80. Only had a new EGR fitted by Renault 4 weeks ago so i'm pretty confident it's not that. They gave the car a clean bill of health.

Has anyone figured out what might be causing the noises?

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone get any further with this as I also have a Dci 80 that is doing it's best "Cortina with a knackered cam" impression. Are the followers actually hydraulic? Autodata lists clearances which would suggest not. Car also just been serviced including a fuel filter & cam belt, a spooky coincidence?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,891 Posts
Not certain but think the followers are shim and bucket
and think the noise you are hearing is injector knock
have you tried a good dose of diesel injector cleaner?
every now and then mine makes a slight knock when
accelerating from low revs but it sounds like just one
injector hasn't done it for some time since I gave it
a dose of Millers Diesel clean sport or some thing like
that.

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have run a bottle of injector cleaner through it to no avail & had a look under the cam cover (Indeed it is bucket & shim not hydraulic followers) but there is no noticible wear or marking. The engine has also cut out a couple of times whilst driving & sometimes does not want to start. Anyone else got any bright ideas? or even point me in the direction of someone that knows what they are doing in the Northampton area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just been reading about somones problem with a noisy Scenic that turned out to be the dephaser pulley, the Clio has just had a cam belt change could this be the problem or would that make all the cylinders noisy?

·
7,891 Posts
Hi

The DCi does not have one it's only on
variable valve timing engines and the
DCi 1.5 isn't.
Truth is that what ever it was may or
may not ever come back I suspect a
bit of some foreign body has found it's
way into the injection system or some
temporary electrical glitch, but to find it
could be impossible without it doing it
again, problem is that in the mean time
you are left with a car you cant trust.

:beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Ralph, I would be happy if I could just solve the "Death rattle" noise. The occasiolnal cut out would be bearable, if damn annoying. I just hope it is not doing any significant damage to itself while I get to the bottom of the problem.

·
7,891 Posts
I once had a Land Rover Diesel do it on one
injector it sounded just like a big end had gone
a really technical knock, it stopped after I stopped
and restarted the engine, I had the injectors
overhauled and they found a tiny piece of rubber
that I think came from one of the fuel lines,
it did not give any more problems over 80/90
thousand miles that I had it sorry cant be
of more help

:beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
All fixed now, it did seem strange that this started happening just after a service & cam belt change. apparantly (According to the garage) there is an update on the crank pulley for the cam belt or possibly to the belt that needs this new pulley, they changed that (Just before the belt lunched itself (How lucky!)) & all is now well with the car. After this and a broken front spring & various other "Oh yes that's a common fault with these" incidents we have decided to chop it in against a new Seat diesel so fingers crossed that will be more reliable! Even if it's not, it will be under warranty saving me many hours tearing my hair out in the garage.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
All fixed now, it did seem strange that this started happening just after a service & cam belt change. apparantly (According to the garage) there is an update on the crank pulley for the cam belt or possibly to the belt that needs this new pulley, they changed that (Just before the belt lunched itself (How lucky!)) & all is now well with the car. After this and a broken front spring & various other "Oh yes that's a common fault with these" incidents we have decided to chop it in against a new Seat diesel so fingers crossed that will be more reliable! Even if it's not, it will be under warranty saving me many hours tearing my hair out in the garage.

Glad you got it sorted Billy and thanks for keeping us updated.

Happy motoring with your Seat :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a chance to speak to the guys that did the work this morning, the problem is caused by the Aux drive belt which in it's earlier 6 rib wide form can move & rub it's way through the cam belt cover. This in turn allows bits of plastic & rubber into the cover. Hey presto the rubbish gets between the belt & pulley, the belt jumps & valves start to kiss the pistons:steam: Luckily a leak down shows no loss in compression but it did manage to remove a tooth from the cam pulley :eek: According to the mech the cam timing had moved almost 90 degrees when he checked it, none of us can understand how it kept running! So if anyone gets a new Aux belt (Or fan belt if you wish) make darn sure it is only 5 ribs wide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts