Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've had my Megane for 2 weeks. I love it BUT there are a few problems which I'm hoping are easy to fix (or cheap).

First problem is that the car blows a small amount of (what looks to me like) white smoke. This happens on starting only that I can tell.

Second one is a tinny rattle on starting the car/changing gear.

Third problem is that it's already showing on the readout that I need to top up my oil level - I havent checked it yet - subconsciously I don't want to see that it's eating oil so I'm putting it off.

I've only had the car a couple of weeks so I'm unsure if the power is right/different to how it should be. It runs very quiet and smooth but feels slightly underpowered in 1st/2nd gear.

I also have a couple of electronic problems which I'll post over in Electronics but just in case they may be connected - clutch pedal isn't starting the car with the card in, airbag light is on and orange service light).

Hopefully you guys can offer me some advice - I've never worked on car's before but I'm not afraid to as long as I know what's required.

Cheers,

Maxine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I don't seem to be able to find the dipstick - just been staring at the engine for half an hour and its just not there. There is no yellow ring type thing anywhere...I even got a second pair of eyes to look for me.

Accelerated and the smoke came - it looks a bit blue but it's dusk outside so maybe its the light but it smells oily.

I'm worried now.

O

·
0 Posts
First- check and fill the oil.
Second-make sure you check and fill the oil now.
Third - Welcome.:d

Smoke.
White smoke on first start could just be condensation in the pipe, but could be suggesting a head gasket failure. Does the car use a lot of water?

Starting.
If it's like the Scenic, you can also start the car with the brake pressed.

The clutch pedal has a 2 switches if it's like the Scenic. 1 at the top of the travel and 1 at the end. They are prone to the wires breaking, so check that.

The airbag light can be switched off by a garage that has the Renault CLIP software. If not, it has a fault or a disconnected or broken wire.

D

·
0 Posts
As above, check that oil!

Dipstick is on the front of the engine block, pretty much in the middle. If it's not there, check for a hole where it should be (will be the one that sprays oil out when the engine is running!).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see a thing it's too dark now and the kids have hidden my torch somewhere....

I'll check again tomorrow morning first thing - I haven't checked the water as the temp gauge is fine - again, I'll check that tomorrow. I know everything was topped up when I bought it as he showed me.

There isnt any oil spitting up out of a hole haha...thank god!

I'll try and check the wires on the clutch...I dont mind starting it with the brake, just wondering why all of a sudden it had stopped working, if I'd done something wrong.

I want to try and sort out any smaller problems before taking it into Renault in the hope of saving my arm, leg and firstborn...

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
yip as said make sure the wires aint broken if you stand at the middle of the front of the car and look down the dipstick is there its near the bottom it may be partly coverd by a rubber hose its a bit of a fiddle to get out and back in but you will get used to it :d

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the dipstick...yay!

Okay - oil is on minimum, coolant is below minmum and the only water tank I can find is the washer bottle which is full.

Where do you top up the water for the radiator etc? or isn't there any?

Also, checked the clutch pedal and the wires are indeed snapped - can I just twist these back together and it should work?

Also, do I need to let the old oil out before I top it up - its on minimum but I don't know what type of oil is in it and Im about to put 10w-40 in.

Sorry if I sound thick, but I really want to learn how to do the little things like this myself.

Cheers,

Maxi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch start is now working - stripped and twisted back together and secured with electrical tape - please tell me I've done that right...:)

O

·
0 Posts
Clutch start is now working - stripped and twisted back together and secured with electrical tape - please tell me I've done that right...:)
Should be OK, I soldered mine for a secure fix, but they were snapped right where they go into the connector.

Oil can be topped up but but make sure you don't overfill.
Put in a couple of litres, then check the dipstick. As long as its between the marks on the stick, it's OK. If the oil looks dirty. Keep an eye on it over the next few weeks, see if it drops. 10-40 should be OK and as it's so low, it's better than none. I'll try to check the correct type for you later.

If you can't find the coolant bottle, how do you know it's on minimum? :confused:
The bottle should be on the far left, looking at the engine, toward the back by the suspension turret.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent - I can find the coolant bottle I just wasnt sure if it took water aswell (it was the water I couldnt find) but I think that was just me being stupid.

The little bit of oil thats in there now is a clear amber colour - there's no white/yellow froth or anything like that, it looks pretty clean.

Got some castrol 10w-40 oil which is going in now.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil and coolant topped up - coolant took about one third of a bottle.

Still blowing smoke - light grey in colour. I havent took the car for a run - would the smoke stop immediately if it was related to coolant/oil being low or does it need a run to get everything flowing?

Cheers,

Maxi

O

·
0 Posts
Give it a good run, bit of throttle.
It will need looking at properly if it still blows smoke and therefore presumably burns oil.

What's the mileage? Is there a service history?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no service history but according to the MOTs the mileage is right - it got 60000 on it.

I'll take it for a good run out tomorrow - I did go round the block a couple of times since topping up but nothing more than that.

It's going in to Renault on Friday morning - I'll be on pins all day waiting for the diagnosis.

Are those treatment things any good - I saw KSeal today and I've got Redex for the oil here which I bought for my old car but never used...

Cheers

O

·
0 Posts
I believe that K Seal is for gasket leaks and that Redex goes in the petrol to clean the injectors.

I have never trusted the claims, but apparently they can work.

Oil being burnt is usually piston ring or cylinder bore wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are they both really costly repairs? If its the piston ring, does that mean I need a new engine?

The Redex I have here is an oil additive and goes in with the oil...I dont know if I want to do that...haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dammit!

Lets hope a good run can solve it (I think I just saw a pig. Flying.)

I'm starting to miss my Daewoo - not a problem in 3 years....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts