Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my expanding family, I've been thinking of changing the Laguna for either a Lag ST or a Scenic.

Have spotted an 03 Scenic DCi in a garage near work for reasonable money and am going to have a look at it tomorrow.

So..............

I know what to look for on a Laguna (obviously :rolleyes: ;) ) so was wondering what to on a Scenic. Any easy to spot faults etc?

Thanks in advance fellow Renault bods :cool:

P.S.

This does mean that if the Lag is going, the exhaust will be up for grabs ;)

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Matt, cant really give any advice as what to look out for. Mine is just over a year old and maybe have been lucky, but no probs yet. It has been said a few time on the forum about the power of dci's, mine is the 1.5 litre 106bhp version and the power seems good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally, I want a 1.9 DCi 120bhp (same engine as I've got already), but second hand DCi Scenics seem few and far between :(

Am a bit wary of changing the Lag, as I've had 3 years of trouble free motoring so far, but needs must etc etc ;)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Get a Laguna ST - although a decent spec dci is also like rocking horse muck to buy.

The Scenic has the advantage of being higher up and the access to the back seats is much better to strap the little uns in. However, it wont handle as well ( still be ok) and on a windy day you will notice the wind a lot more than in a normal car.
The picnic tables,cubby holes etc etc are good, but a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. We had them all on the Picasso but rarely used them.
The Laguna ST will be more like your hatch to drive, the boot isn't much bigger but is more practical.

The Scenic wont have as many toys as the Laguna, even a standard privilege wont have xenons, dual climate,cruise control etc.

Price wise you will pay just as much if not more for a Scenic 1.9dci120 than a Laguna of the same age. The LAguna will depreciate more as its a "reps" car and not as popular as the mini mpvs.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points Mr ST :)

Am not to fussed on 'toys' really! As long as it's got leccy windows front and back, air con (never had climate so not going to miss it) and all the usual stuff I'll be happy.

Most of the Laguna ST's I've looked at have astronomical mileage, some as much as 3 times what mines got even though they're newer!!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Matt,

ST has made some valid points, I would try and drive a number of Scenic IIs prior to deciding which model suits you as the handling characteristic's vary quite considerably, I have found no problem with the Scenic IIs on windy days, As St said spec levels are far superior on the Lagunas than the Scenic's.

I have found all the cubby holes and drop down seats etc to be of great use, the seating has a number of settings in the rear allowing more room with 2 child seats if required.

The gear change on the Scenic can be clunky with the 6 speed box more so than the Laguna due to the extended controls. I don't really need to tell you the prob's you might encounter with a Renault as you are a Member here, The interiors can be very worn and tatty, Like all MPV style of vehicles, The rear seat could suffer from abuse as some have just dropped the seat backs for heavy loads thus distorting the seat frames check that they can be removed and relocated easily, Not all models come with all round electric windows. The air-con can struggle to keep the interior cool on very hot days due to the large glass area, But the cabin is bright and airy offering a good view out for children in the rear, The rear hatch gets very dirty and as the boot does not pop on the key hands can get messy, Front fogs are hopeless leave them on all the time nobody flashes you, Horn is feeble compared to the Lag, Plenty power points more on the top models, The sliding centre console is very good great storage plus a PowerPoint & arm rests, wiper patterns are set for left hand drive but large wiper pattern clears it OK, The controls are OK, The car is comfortable as most Renault's are seating can be adjusted to suit most needs access in and out is excellent .

I cant really think of anything else, But as I have said try a few before you buy there is a lot of junk out there, It's your choice so take your time and don't rush in, Ensure you get a rock solid warranty or Take Velsatisifieds ( Paul )and urchase an after market one from an independent source.

Any other questions do not hesitate to ask and I will try and answer them.

Some would prefer the Lag ST others the Scenic II, Each have their own pros & cons.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Great post otto. Yep, the versatility of having 3 separate seats in the back makes the Scenic more versatile than the Lag ST. I agree matt needs to look at and drive several models of both the Lag & the scenic before he decides.
I have only driven an 03 style Scenic any length of time so can't comment on the handling in wind etc of the newer scenics.

I agree matt - Lag ST's dcis have mega mileage on most of them, probably why we took 4 or 5 mths to find the right one. It was 10 mths old and had 13300 miles on the clock.
It is now 35mths old with 39000 on the clock - touch wood has been trouble free.
Lagunas tend to be reps/engineers/hire cars so mileage tends to be higher.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes , Matt should try and find a Scenic II with a high mileage to test drive this would give him an idea of wear and tear on the vehicle, Also I would avoid the 17" wheels as they can give a very jarring ride, also they are prone to excessive tyre wear when fitted with such wheels, Tyre sizes can make a huge difference to the handling and comfort of a Scenic II, The Grand Scenic I would say the Handling is very wooly more so if fitted with the full length sun roof, I personally would avoid a car with the full sunroof.

Well matt some very valid points from ST & myself. But I would look about and take your time.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
The air-con can struggle to keep the interior cool on very hot days due to the large glass area, But the cabin is bright and airy offering a good view out for children in the rear Ottoman

Sorry but I have to disagree on this one Otto, I was in Spain last year for 3 months in up to 40C degs, and thought the a/c coped admirably

Tel

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree on this one Otto, I was in Spain last year for 3 months in up to 40C degs, and thought the a/c coped admirably

Tel

Yes it copes Asterix, But I have found it to be less efficient than previous cars I have owned, Albeit smaller interior volumes to cope with and less glass area, Also towards the end of my ownership of my previous Scenic II the performance had dropped even further, Renault Air Con systems seem to deplete sooner than other other Marques I have owned or had the use of.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
havent had the long term experience, but as regards to the glass area, my scenic is the Oasis and has a complete glass roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts