Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help me please :)

My clio has a leak like a swimming pool.

It happens when we have rain. I have pulled the carpet out and the foam stuff underneath so as to dry it out. We then put a hose pipe on the car and sat and waited to find the leak.

It is coming in under the glove compartment on the passenger side but its coming down the wing. We have took the skuttle thing off and checked the drains no blockages also the drains under the wheel arch are clear.

I am not stuck the water is not comming from the door seal or the sunroof etc but if the drains are all clear what else could it be.

If i dont repair this i will have to get rid and it will cost me a small fortune any help much appreciated.

Cheers :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Have you tried pouring water over the scutttle vent area to see what happens. When checking for leaks it is always best to start from the bottom of the car and work up. A few dustings of talcum powder or dry newspapers are always helpful when looking for clues.:)

Are you sure its rain water and not coolant from the heater matrix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi cheers for your replies.:) I have previously had the hose pipe on the skuttle drain where the wipers are and watched for water inside... no water ... so why when it has been raining weird!
Tonight armed with talc in the footwell I put the hose under the bonnet. Im not really very good with cars so you will have to excuse my crude descriptions.
Under the bonnet just to the right of centre under the skuttle drain there is a pipe that has a plastic square bracket thing that looks like it goes into the car when i put the hose on this area the water was running straight into the passenger footwell. Is this the heatermatrix??? I guess it would be where the heat from the engine is distributed into the footwells when i turn the heater on.. If this is the matrix do you know is it a big job to put it right? it looks to be in a hard to get to place... i was so glad to have found it i hope im not going to be disapointed:eek: thanks in advance for your replies. x cheers

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If the heater matrix was leaking you would be losing coolant from the header/filler tank. If pour water directly at the air inlet of course water will flow inside. When water enters the scuttle area it should be able to drain away fast enough to prevent any water building up high enough so it can't flow into the air duct. Have you been able to locate the drain holes (usually one each corner of the scuttle). Some have a one way valve rubber flap which tends to jam. Ensure these drains are properly cleared -if necessary rod them with a piece of soft wire and give them a good flush out with the hose.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi :)

so i havent found the leak:( ... thats my total inexperience showing then.. i only really put petrol in thats about my level... The skuttle has been removed and all drains cleaned etc had another swimming pool this morning. think i might just have to get rid of it and get a new car as i seem to have discounted most of the solutions that ive found on the web.

Cheers for your help

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
It may be worth getting another opinion from someone more experienced - the internet wonderful as it is doesn't always have the practical experience of the real world. Renault ain't the only make of car to suffer water leaks so changing the car is no guarantee of a cure. Some of the VW's have similar probs with disastrous results costing hundreds to repair.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, it only occurs when I either drive through hideous puddles or when we have torrential rain.

I eventually decided to take the Clio to a friend of the family who's got excellent reputation with cars. He took a look underneath the car and found a 'grommet' missing. He said it could well be the source of the problem, but couldn't be certain. Anyway, he welded a plate over the hole where the grommet was missing and I haven't had the problem since, this was until yesterday! (around 6 months after the plate was welded on! .. we had bad weather and I took the car for a drive, drove through a few deep puddles (which I try to avoid).

Out of curiosity, I checked the passengers foot well only to find it flooded like a duck pond. Now I'm back to square one trying to establish the problem. Might take it back to my friend, perhaps the welded plate has come off? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Clio III (2008) leaks like a sieve. I've had it in the garage 4 times and am about to take it back for a fifth time! Started leaking into rear footwells. They replaced the plastic foil inside the door behind the door trims. It stopped for a while. Then it started leaking into both front doors from about half way down the both front pillars. My garage said they couldn't reproduce the problem when the put it in their car wash (surprise surprise) and all they did was tighten the doors a bit. Next time it rained same problem leaking down onto the doorhandles and directly onto the front speakers (nice!). Took it back to them. They replace the inner door seals which seams to have fixed the problem in the front. It rained hard again last monday and guess what? It's now leaking again in RHS rear passenger footwell. Back to the garage again next tuesday :- (. I tell you it's beginning to p1ss me off so much i'm thinking of selling the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, this is an old post but this might help someone with a Clio,Scenic etc @ 01,02,03,04,05 perhaps more. I had water in all footwells front and rear with no obvious signs of where it was coming from. The posts I have read mention scuttles and drains but with no clear explanation given.
This is what I did. Remove the windscreen wipers. To do this, undo the nut(13mm) which holds the wipers in place. Next, a puller WILL be needed to remove the wipers from their splines. It's extremely difficult (impossible?) at best without a puller. Next, remove the plastic shielding which is below the wipers (two clips either side). Once this was off it revealed the scuttle? Anyway, I found three drains, one each side of the car and one in the middle.There was a pool of water on the drivers side and also in the middle.The drivers side drain can be reached by getting your hand in from above but the other side can be reached from below the washer bottle.They have grommets with a flap to drain water. The middle drain comes out from a rubber pipe (@35mm dia, 120mm long) into the engine bay. I drained this by poking a finger up there and later pushing some 3 core flex down to clear any blockage.All a bit fiddly! Good luck.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,514 Posts
Thanks Peter.
There are other threads with similar explanations but to be honest, the more the merrier, more chance of someone finding one who needs to know.
Similar applies to Meganes, Scenics and Lagunas BTW, not sure on other models but I know that other makes can also suffer.
And not found one service sheet from any maker which explains or even mentions scuttle drains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, this is an old post but this might help someone with a Clio,Scenic etc @ 01,02,03,04,05 perhaps more. I had water in all footwells front and rear with no obvious signs of where it was coming from. The posts I have read mention scuttles and drains but with no clear explanation given.
This is what I did. Remove the windscreen wipers. To do this, undo the nut(13mm) which holds the wipers in place. Next, a puller WILL be needed to remove the wipers from their splines. It's extremely difficult (impossible?) at best without a puller. Next, remove the plastic shielding which is below the wipers (two clips either side). Once this was off it revealed the scuttle? Anyway, I found three drains, one each side of the car and one in the middle.There was a pool of water on the drivers side and also in the middle.The drivers side drain can be reached by getting your hand in from above but the other side can be reached from below the washer bottle.They have grommets with a flap to drain water. The middle drain comes out from a rubber pipe (@35mm dia, 120mm long) into the engine bay. I drained this by poking a finger up there and later pushing some 3 core flex down to clear any blockage.All a bit fiddly! Good luck.
UpDate....No doubt the blocked drains were not helping but have since removed the foam underlay from the front footwells to dry them out. This has helped me to trace the leak, which is coming down the door seal. The source of the leak appears to be the sunroof which then drips on to front door pillar, then onto the door seal etc...The sunroof leak is a known Clio problem, which I have (fixed?) previously but obviously not well enough..The problem is around the sunroof frame but NOT the sunroof seal (@£100 from renault!) .Youtube has a few videos on this sunroof problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts