Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my partners epb failed so I'm doing the manual conversion. I have everything i need and fitted everything to the car (apart from my new caliper as it hasn't turned up yet).

My questions are where do I get my feed from to operate the handbrake light?

Will I have any other warning lights come on now the epb has been removed?

Will I need to take the car to main dealer to have the plugged in to tell it it's now a manual handbrake or will a snapon reader do that?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,775 Posts
Not sure on the handbrake warning light feed.
Not sure you need one for an MOT either.
Am sure you could pick up a 12v switched (ignition on) feed, lamp and earth and stick the light wherever seems sensible, ignore the bu7ilt in dash light.

With EPB disconnected you will get electronic fail warning (DAMHIK) and possibly EPB warnings, if you had them before they will not go away.
Vehicles with EPB should fail with an EPB warning.
Inspectors I have spoken to agree irrelevant without EPB but not all will see it that way even though no EPB.
Some simply take it as a brake system fault and they cannot know why so fail.
Bottom line, someone with Clip that can remove the EPB from system. This doesn't have to be a Renault dealer.
Other systems that talk Renault may but ask first before letting them loose and spending money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the original feed for the dash light be behind the epb switch on the dash?

I know the motor failed and wouldn't release the handbrake and it's only cost me £100 in parts to do the conversion and the light is the only thing that never gets solved on all the searches Iv done.

Iv got my snapon reader and will turn off the warning lights ect just didn't know if they would pop back up. I will give a few places a call that has a clip and see if any of them will remove the epb

·
22,775 Posts
Would the original feed for the dash light be behind the epb switch on the dash?
Doubt it.
If I had to guess it would be going through the underfloor cubby under the passenger seat.
But which wire dunno
And mindful that the EPB does not have a simple switch, it is an output from the PCB as far as I know.
So would need a pin out from the EPB and then trace it back.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,532 Posts
Should find the wire behind the switch on the dash..

Do a search on here someone explains how its done..

Deffo on here, ..

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts

I know the motor failed and wouldn't release the handbrake and it's only cost me £100 in parts to do the conversion and the light is the only thing that never gets solved on all the searches Iv done.

Iv got my snapon reader and will turn off the warning lights ect just didn't know if they would pop back up. I will give a few places a call that has a clip and see if any of them will remove the epb

I repaired my G-scenic EPB and it cost £90 (motor £60 and long h/b cable £30) as was way less work than a conversion.... but you will defo need a clip to delete the messages about epb fault, if you remove the epb fuse under passagener seat- it changes to electronic fault... but still has the brake symbols lit on dash

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/309-brakes-hubs/516625-epb-dead-fuse-location-**well-fixed**.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you find a solution to this? Our 55 plate scenic is in the garage for work and MOT and they cannot see a ways to integrate the manual handbrake to the system so that it pops up the same messages as the EPB did (not really reassuring me for any other work they do!).

·
22,775 Posts
You don't need the same messages, just the handbrake on warning light... though not 100% that is needed for an MOT ??
If it is, a red light can be switched from the handbrake switch and mounted anywhere.
You do need to tell the car it no longer has an auto EPB else will get messages that an MOT inspector may not like.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You don't need the same messages, just the handbrake on warning light... though not 100% that is needed for an MOT ??
If it is, a red light can be switched from the handbrake switch and mounted anywhere.
You do need to tell the car it no longer has an auto EPB else will get messages that an MOT inspector may not like.
Car is currently in for an MOT and they cannot clear the check parking brake message or make the rear tail brake light iluminate - both of which it needs to pass the MOT.
The handbrake switch has been taken out and replaced with a blank. I am thinking now that wiring may be needed to bypass the handbrake switch and create a full circuit. No one seems to know!

·
22,775 Posts
Can Clip or equivalent diagnostic that can talk Renault should be able to delete EPB...that should get rid of any warning messages relating to EPB.

Rear Tail Light ?????
That has nothing to do with EPB, footbrake switch, via UCH to brake lights...bulb fail ???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can Clip or equivalent diagnostic that can talk Renault should be able to delete EPB...that should get rid of any warning messages relating to EPB.

Rear Tail Light ?????
That has nothing to do with EPB, footbrake switch, via UCH to brake lights...bulb fail ???
I think its been a lost in translation between garage and myself.. its the dash parking brake symbol that has to illuminate to show that the parking brake is activated. This is classed as a Major fault now under the new rules.

Spoke to Renault who have confirmed that all they would do is stick it through the diagnostic t clear the EPB from the ECU and that's all they deem as needed....

I'm reading through the MOT spec to see what I can find with information to the manual handbrake and warning lights

·
Registered
37 Posts
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-1-Brakes.html

Anyone spot where it says that the parking brake must have a warning light to say it is on ??

Error lights being on are a major with EPB but that can be cleared by removing EPB from software (Can Clip)
That was exactly my finding as well - but , I have asked a few places now and yes it is a requirement that it shows up on the dash. I do think that they have left a fair bit out of the online guide. The previous version i had was more in depth and took you through each bit , but that was in 2006.

We have decided to retrieve the car from the garage for the time being as they cannot give us any indication of how long it will take them, and thus a price.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
That was exactly my finding as well - but , I have asked a few places now and yes it is a requirement that it shows up on the dash. I do think that they have left a fair bit out of the online guide. The previous version i had was more in depth and took you through each bit , but that was in 2006.

We have decided to retrieve the car from the garage for the time being as they cannot give us any indication of how long it will take them, and thus a price.
it took me all off 15 mins to remove my EPB on my 05 grand scenic inc cables - I then drove it for a week or so until i fixed EPB and put back on the following weekend used 1st gear as a h/brake as i live in a flat county of Norfolk. cost me £60 for motor and £30 for 1x handbrake cable and some plastic epoxy £5 and £3 self amalgamating tape to cover epoxy repair to emergency release cable. + 2 h/b cable clips at £2 a pair - total £100 - so why not fix and sell conversion kit to cover costs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
it took me all off 15 mins to remove my EPB on my 05 grand scenic inc cables - I then drove it for a week or so until i fixed EPB and put back on the following weekend used 1st gear as a h/brake as i live in a flat county of Norfolk. cost me £60 for motor and £30 for 1x handbrake cable and some plastic epoxy £5 and £3 self amalgamating tape to cover epoxy repair to emergency release cable. + 2 h/b cable clips at £2 a pair - total £100 - so why not fix and sell conversion kit to cover costs?
The emergency cable had been used and then cut right next to the EPB unit, and the whole unit is out now. I will get my partner to look at the EPB unit again, hes not a mechanic but a mechanical tech and said it looks fukt in his opinion, the slide bit is rusted and was seized along with the motor.

An unscrupulous seller 2 owners back bought this car as scrap due to an issue with the EPB - the seller then had repair quoted as more then the value of the car so decided to scrap it - , the seller then did something to it and cleared the messages on the ECU without fixing it correctly and then sold it on as working fine - we got it reversed parked it and the whole EPB unit died.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,532 Posts
Hang on Until the morning, just having something checked for you ..
And dont want to post it, if it needs amending first..
If its ok, ( Makes sense to them ) one of The other techs will post it , as makes no difference really who posts it ,, if I dont get on in the morning

·
22,775 Posts
I think we need some clarity.

What are MOT inspectors saying ??
That the dashboard Icon (Wheel and brake shoes ?) must work when handbrake on ?

If so, would an alternative light on dash be okay ?

Or are they looking at the icon coming on during the self test and then not coming on with handbrake and thinking that could show a fault ??

I would also be phoning DVSA https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-standards-agency
and asking for clarification considering that we cannot find anything on dashboard warning light for handbrakes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think we need some clarity.

What are MOT inspectors saying ??
That the dashboard Icon (Wheel and brake shoes ?) must work when handbrake on ?

If so, would an alternative light on dash be okay ?

Or are they looking at the icon coming on during the self test and then not coming on with handbrake and thinking that could show a fault ??

I would also be phoning DVSA https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-standards-agency
and asking for clarification considering that we cannot find anything on dashboard warning light for handbrakes.
The testers (who are also the mechanics doing the work) say that the parking brake symbol (the P in the triangle or similar) must show on the dash when the parking brake is on. This applies to manual handbrakes.

The MOT fail we had (to see what work needed done) lists the faults for the EPB, which is the only mention in the GOV.UK MOT manual I can find relating to a light for the parking brake being a major fault.

I think I might ask DVLA, seeing as understandably Renault are cagey on the process and just tell me to bring it in and for £108 they will put it on the diagnostic machine to tell me if it can have a manual handbrake.

The garage got back to us today and have basically said . The issue with the EPBsystem is we removed it (no s**T Sherlock) and every system on the car speaks to it ECU,ABS Traction all of it, so your only options would be to refit the EPB unit or to try and get the ECU, ABS reprogrammed not to look for the EPB module.

I am at a loss as my partner literally had a conversation with them about that is what we were doing and so it needed the ECU bit sorted. Feel like I am banging my heed off a wall.

My friends hubby is a mechanic, he has the computer and knows what to do - clear the EPB from the ECU and then some fiddly rewiring , but we cannot get the car to him and hes not keen on coming to us in-case he doesn't have the required tools.

We are probably crazy in being committed to getting this working, but if we do then I will post up a proper step by step as I have tried and failed to find one (maybe not searching he correct terms on here or google).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts