Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Please help me.

I purchased my 05 Reg Renault Espace in 2008 from a renault dealer and have had nothing but catastophic problems with it ever since.

The car had a years warranty which went out in September 09.

From December 09 (car aged 4 years) the car has had problem after problem. 2 weeks before christmas, the altenator blew, coincidently or not, the dealer where we purchased the car just happened to have an altenator for my model sitting on the shelf.

After that, we have had continuous warning lights, ranging from handbrake fault to check esp etc. All of these things have been checked and found to be in perfect working order, however, the warnings continued.

At mot last year, i was informed that the handbrake would require replacement before mot this year.

The car is now sitting in the garage with total engine failure.
I had a top up oil level displayed on Friday afternoon, two weeks ago. The car remained stationary over the weekend until Monday morning when i took my son to school. Upon stopping at the petrol station to buy oil, i opened the bonnet to put the oil in and found that there was oil pouring out all over the engine.
I put 2 litre's into it, to get it home (less than half a mile) half way up the road, the display was then reading that there was an oil pressure fault. I parked it at the house, contacted the local garage, who then picked it up. In the space of approximately 2 hours, the entire 2 litre's of oil that i put in it and whatever was already left in it had leaked all over the road outside.

The mechanic suggests that the engine seized because of lack of oil and is preparing a full report as to what has caused this oil leakage.

After consulting Renault about this situation, i was told that they will not help towards the cost of a replacement engine because the car is out of it's warranty. Then had the utter cheek to tell me that i should take it to a renault dealer and pay £55 per hour for them to investigate and prepare a report in order to try and prevent it happening to anyone else. :mad:

I am at my wits end, i have 2 children to support and am relying on the kindness of others to help get my children to school and back. I absolutely cannot afford to pay for a new engine in a car that age which should not have faults like this in the first place. I have read again and again about engine failure's in these cars.

I am awaiting word back from watchdog also.

Has anyone else had a same or similar fault that they can give me some advice about.

Would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just been told I have the same problem with my Espace with only 75,000 miles. Took it to the dealer who I purchased the car from last febuary for a service on 1st April Went to the Lake District and started to get a wobble on the steering so I took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as the driveshaft and replaced them under the three year extented warranty I took out after that I had an oil leak which water diagnosed as the intercooler pipes to the turbo. ( new turbo & pipes) Still under warranty. Still had oil leak so I took it back again and then they started to chase the leak all around the car until today when the conclusion was the engine is worn and needs disassembling to see if the warranty covers this, if not I have to pay for the dissassembly and rebuilding of the engine as the extensive warranty does not cover this. The same dealer has serviced the car four times since 2009 and only done 20,000 miles. I just wonder if I would have been better off going to a small garage instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did either of you get to the bottom of this. My Espace has now died catastrophically. No messages on the dash this time though. Just a rattle, slowed down on the hard shoulder and stop.
Previously it has dumped it's sump through the oil filter seal three times and now the mechanic has put the filter on so tight it must have ****ed off something else internally as I still have a lot of milky oil on the dip stick.
I would be grateful of any help, but I think it might be the end of the road for this 06 Espace!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fully understand that. Was just curious as to how it gets like that from a cam belt! Or how the cam belt goes because of the head! Cam belt changed about 25k ago. Why would a head cause it to seize dramatically unless it dropped valve then cracked something. I haven't seen the car but the garage wanted 150 just to open it and look.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,362 Posts
That post is 2 years old and he's probably not an active member. Cambelts usually fail if not changed at the right time or the aux belt breaks and chunks of it get into the crank pulley causing the cambelt to jump teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.