Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member looking for some advice about dealing with out of warranty costs for full fuel system replacement. Diesel pump failed leading to shards of debris throughout the fuel system, confirmed by Renault dealership.
Bought the car new for my wife from Renault dealership, it has done 29,100 miles and have had absolutely no problems until this happened.
Costs to replace fuel system - £4,000 incl VAT !!!

I don't believe that Renault UK should be asking me to pay for the failure of this component so soon in the car's history, it's only 1 year out of warranty!!

Is this a known fault condition?
Any experience/advice on how best to deal with this...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MMT,
Thanks for your advice. I'm already in discussions with Renault CS; their perspective is that i'm gonna pay a % age of the overall costs, they haven't proposed how it will be split yet.
I'm the only owner of the car and have full dealership service history throughout warranty period. Didn't extend the warranty, fuel pump doesn't appear to be covered anyway.
I'm not holding my breath for an unskewed sharing of costs which is why i was interested in finding out if anyone had been successful in dealing with a similar issue with diesel fuel pump failure.

Thanks all the same.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
This was a very common fault on the early 1.5 dci's
the rollers within the high pressure pump breaking up
and causing mayhem iwas led to beleive that this failing on these pumps was rectified as from 05/06 models on. Renaults are aware of this problem and should not have happened at this mileage. I would certainly dig my heels in on this one with renault
Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Boogs,
I have just had same problem. My car is 5 years old but no service history. Have been quoted £3766 to replace the fuel system. I have spoken to Renault Customer Support and am waiting for a reply. I am wondering how was your situation resolved?
Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renault Customer Services didn't budge from their decision to split the total costs 60 - 40%, i paid 40% (nearly £1600), Renault paid 50% & the dealership 10%.
I thought i had a reasonable chance of getting the 40% reduced because it was my third renault from the dealership and it got serviced there too. Made no difference to the outcome, i'll not be buying another one that's for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I ask when you had your problem was the car drive able? I am currently having a fuel injection warning light when I drive at higher revs. Renault dealer is saying it is a fuel pressure problem but need to diagnose it more before having final thoughts. Just wondering if mine is likely to be a similar fault...with the costs quoted above I certainly hope not!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new member looking for some advice about dealing with out of warranty costs for full fuel system replacement. Diesel pump failed leading to shards of debris throughout the fuel system, confirmed by Renault dealership.
Bought the car new for my wife from Renault dealership, it has done 29,100 miles and have had absolutely no problems until this happened.

I don't believe that Renault UK should be asking me to pay for the failure of this component so soon in the car's history, it's only 1 year out of warranty!!

This is a known fault among the mechanics I have talked to. The Renault 1.5DCi engine fuel pump will fail long before the engine will wear out. When it fails it destorys the engine. Cost for repair is aleast £3500 which means if the car is over 4 year old it's scraped. I had to scrap my two Clios in the last few months. As I posted earlier Renault needs to fix this Design fault.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
A good independent usually charges around £1200 for the job compared to Renault prices. Renault replace all componenets whereas and independent will flush the tank, fuel lines and fuel rail.

The problem affects not just the 1.5 Dci engine but also the 1.9 Dci range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hiya,

I am now having exactly the same issue, Renault are claiming its fuel contamination, however unlikely as other mechanics have told me that Renault diesels are known for this and on the attached link shows that it is nothing to do with the fuel and is actually the car, in which case Renault should be recalling vehicles affected

To the original poster, where did you get with this?did you report it to Trading Standards? I have and they have said that they ultimately need more cases in order to investigate I'm also going to report to watchdog

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/clio-iii-2005/?section=bad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can anyone advise me if this fuel pump issue with Renault was ever rectified with a modification?
We are looking to buy a used Clio 1.5dci, possibly 59/60 plate but am aware of the pump issues.

Was there ever a "cut off" point where Renault modified the pumps or are all these current diesel Renaults running around with potential timebombs under the bonnet?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Can anyone advise me if this fuel pump issue with Renault was ever rectified with a modification?
We are looking to buy a used Clio 1.5dci, possibly 59/60 plate but am aware of the pump issues.

Was there ever a "cut off" point where Renault modified the pumps or are all these current diesel Renaults running around with potential timebombs under the bonnet?
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but i'm in this boat too and this is a good question i'd like to know as well. Is there a "safe" zone where problems are less likely?!

i'm also unclear if it's all models not just Clio with the 1.5 or 1.9 engine?

Also something I'd just thought of - what actually are the symptoms of this issue occurring and what causes it? Is it unavoidable?!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
it can be avoided well last longer every tank of fuel add 2-3 caps of mineral 2st oil it helps lube the working parts in the pump it will not smoke so you will be fine there
over years diesel has been thinned out to make it work better in newer systems and to stop it going to jelly in winter
its not a cure just prolonging the pumps life landrover guys have done it for many years
Ron

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
it can be avoided well last longer every tank of fuel add 2-3 caps of mineral 2st oil it helps lube the working parts in the pump it will not smoke so you will be fine there
over years diesel has been thinned out to make it work better in newer systems and to stop it going to jelly in winter
its not a cure just prolonging the pumps life landrover guys have done it for many years
Ron
Interesting. Thanks for that info. I wonder if any fuel additives would also help in such a way?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
My car is Scenic year 2007 1.5 DCi, 101 CP, Euro 3, 70k miles.
I have this problem two month ago.
Injection Fault with red light on board.
From renault service i receive information i need to change fuel pump.
But ......
With repairing the cap of the pump i spend only ~ 100£.
How ?
Pump are Delphi. Plenty of this pump are installed on to Renault cars.
Look attachment for pictures. It is a small piece what was changed inside the cap. Picture with part/number of this piece.
Another picture with pump pressure before and after repairing. Labour was 2 hours.
Best Regards
Mike
Sorry for my non native English language but you understand :)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.