Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Bit miserable... my Koleos failed the NCT (MOT equiv.) on the front subframe being rotten with rust.

Anyone able to tell me if this is a very expensive thing to fix?

Or could anyone tell me where I can get a replacement subframe?
Is it the same as an X-Trail one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
sorry to say think it unique to Koloes only - our UK ebay ONLY brought up rear subframes for your car @ £300 GBP, as a idea clio, maganes and lagunas start at £15 to £75 GBP, so i'm sorry to say - probably gonna have to dig deep £££ , If the damage is not too near mounting points or only small, it may be possible to remove subframe get it sand blasted, repaired (if allowed by NCT) and powder coated and refitted?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nexxusone...
Yah, welding/repairing might be an option.. but I'd like to go for a replacement subframe if possible..
Love the Koleos and hoping to hold on to it for a few years more..

Heard something about an anti-corrosion warranty from renault.. so I'll start with them...
wonder would they even have the part in stock any more?

The local renault dealer here is a disaster.. hopefully renault ireland will have some clue...

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,840 Posts
Considering that when I started driving a 5 year old car would almost be guaranteed to need welding, I should not be surprised that a modern 10 year old one does.
But I am.
Try with Renault but TBH, doubt you have a chance given age of car.
If it is weldable, that may be best option to get through NCT. Then you have time to find a replacement, hopefully at a decent price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hiya,
yeah.. not weldable... too much gone... (see attached photos)

Wondering where on earth I can find a replacement. Not showing up on any partsfinders...
Car dealer I originally bought it from is being very decent and is trying to help me.. he's come up empty handed too though..

No help from Renault except to tell me the new part is apparently available for €800 + VAT.
No secondhands available anywhere.

Wondering about X-Trail subframes.. everywhere I read about the Koleos it seems to say its based on the X-Trail or uses the X-Trail running gear. I could get an X-Trail subframe handy enough ..
But is it a proper fit?
Local Renault dealer won't tell me.. (he's Nissan as well...) .. keeps givin me the official line.. renault parts only etc...

Thanks
PJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,311 Posts
Crikey, previous owner must have lived underwater. Ours hasn't a scrap of rust anywhere after 17 years.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
the dealers probably have no way to cross reference, can you get a cheap second hand x trail one? also a long shot but try cross reference bottom and / or top arms as same pattern parts?, rear subframe bushes etc - if you can get a cheap s/hand X trail one, could you , if it doesnt fit , use it to repair your bad one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: RAC Floor Mats ?? Anyone ?

Crikey, previous owner must have lived underwater.
Yeah.. looks like it doesn't it?

Car dealers in Ireland often say that yer better off buying an irish owned car.. cos UK imports can be rotten because of the salt used on the roads in the winter... which I never bought... cos I can't imagine everybody over there putting up with THAT...

If everybodys car was rotting away all the time surely there'd be a salt alternative found ...

Ours hasn't a scrap of rust anywhere after 17 years.
Where'd you get a Koleos 17 years ago? :) LOL

Think I might have an option to try an X-Trail part.. a scrapyard a few miles away has one.. they said its €200 for the subframe.. and if it doesn't fit then I if I bring it back inside 7 days they will refund €150 of it... So I'd be paying a €50 handling charge basically... (which is fair enough if they've gone to the trouble of getting it out of the donor vehicle etc)

So, I might try that...

The car dealer I bought off (2 years ago) is doin his best to help and has said to hold off on that idea until he can see if he can find out whether or not the part would be interchangeable...

So, I'll sit tight for a couple more days I suppose..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,
Yea, I've been lookin at the pics on ebay etc already.
Think I really need to get the thing in my hand and offer it up.

I wonder would the Koleos one be a heavier spec.. the renault dealer was all huffy about putting nissan parts in a renault and how it would be against their advice etc...

Its got me a little worried cos I carry my baby boy around in the vehicle etc...
Then again people put spurious parts in car all the time eh?

PJ

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
just looked up qashqai , xtrail and koloes and they have same sub frame bushes, and share some of the engine mounts together, so my 'GUESS' is the subframes gonna be very close and hopefully require no modifications or vert little to fit. Please let us know how you get on

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
that rust really doesn't look too bad. just one area that i can see with heavy rust, the rest is surface.

id take the subframe off and look closer, but i wouldn't discount repair...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just looked up qashqai , xtrail and koloes and they have same sub frame bushes, and share some of the engine mounts together, so my 'GUESS' is the subframes gonna be very close and hopefully require no modifications or vert little to fit. Please let us know how you get on
Thats very nice of you to take the time to do that.
Thanks very much,
I'd say it'll be a few days till I can get to the scrapyard and arrange someone with a lift to raise the vehicle...
.. so.. stay tuned.

Thanks again
PJ

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,939 Posts
Renault and nissan are partners, lots of the parts are interchangeable ..

Just ended up meeting a spare guy who does not want to help.

I get my Peugeot parts from Citroen Lot friendlier, and helpful..

(your part number = 54400JY00A so should be able to compare pictures)

Reactions: vidapura

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
that rust really doesn't look too bad. just one area that i can see with heavy rust, the rest is surface.

id take the subframe off and look closer, but i wouldn't discount repair...

I would agree that could be repaired if taken off, but unless you know a welder may cost as much to repair as importing that 330 one....

Reactions: Fraser L

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I would agree that could be repaired if taken off, but unless you know a welder may cost as much to repair as importing that 330 one....
Was quoted over £250 to make a small repair (1"x3" or 27x76mm for you metric folks :grin2:) to a Punto subframe last year. Bought my own kit, have done a few jobs since. More than paid for itself :laugh:

Reactions: ours2012

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beware! if my grasp of Italiano is good (not sure at all), this is a used part-- 'ricambo usato'.

Pretty sure I have it right; it does look ok but what is below the shiny paint?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts