Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
It's a fully floating cam and crank...ie no woodruff keys, buy a kit off ebay. It pushes against crank, EASY. and locks cam shafts. DO IT. you will kill your engine otherwise...........

R

·
0 Posts
100% :iagree: with the other members.

With out setting tools you are never going to set the timing correctly and will probably end bending valves :(

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Well, that looks like a unanimous vote then :d

Oh, and whatever you do - DO NOT attempt to start the engine until you're absolutely sure you've done it correctly!

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Just out of curiosity as I have never done a belt on a 16valve engine.
If you lock the crank with a locking pin, and take the tappet cover off, line up the off centre cuttouts at the back of the cams in the correct position and slip a new belt on, will the timing be ok?
I know its more effort than with a locking kit.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
PPear,

The problem is that the camshaft slots will not stay lined up without being physically locked together.

On the 1.4/1.6 engine, the crank locking pin is threaded into the engine block, and is used to both position and restrain the crank when tightening the pulley retaining bolt.

The locking tools are simple affairs, and could readily be fabricated by someone with the necessary materials and skill. I have neither!

It must also be remembered that the the crank pulley has to come off, and once released, the timing sprocket is free to rotate around the (non-keyed) crankshaft.

Sadly, many people have to come to grief by not grasping this principle :(

R

·
0 Posts
Edit: S80 has beat me to it :)

Just out of curiosity as I have never done a belt on a 16valve engine.
If you lock the crank with a locking pin, and take the tappet cover off, line up the off centre cuttouts at the back of the cams in the correct position and slip a new belt on, will the timing be ok?
The camshafts will not stop in the correct position with out being held there. As the force of the valve spring action rotates the cam shafts away from their timing position by a few degrees.

The upper cylinder head cover/ rocker cover contains the upper half of the cam shaft bearing surfaces so is not removed unlike the Ford Zetec engines where you remove the rocker cover to access the cam shafts and place the locking bar in the timing slots.

To time the Renault 1.4 K4J, 1.6 K4M, 1.8 F4P, 2.0 F4R 16 valve engines are all very similar and you have to remove the 2 blanking plugs in the end of the cylinder head to insert the cam shaft locking tool. Depending which engine it is the TDC setting pin doesn't lock the crank shaft in position on all of them as on some of these engines the crank is rotated on to the setting pin which acts as a stop.

R

·
0 Posts
Hey, Peter - I though I had our collective brain this afternoon :d
I think you have David :)

When I threw that timing tool together it was only for one engine it did it's 6th last night ! pretty ugly showing everbody my pidgeon poo weld :eek:

But is strong enough to rotate the cam shaft into their positions and even though the retain lug dropped off ages ago it's such a snug fit in the end of the cam shafts the spring action of the cam shafts keep it there.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Thanks S80 and Recycled scenic, I have done it on a zetec before, that is why I was wondering if its works the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts