Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, i was wondering if i cud ask for a fair bit ov advice as im stuck in a rutt over my clio it started running lumpy a couple weeks ago looked under hood to find low coolant [just under min] as i undid the res in was realy pressured up? topd up n seemd to run ok for a few days until it startd dropin revs again this time the the water look empty with engine runnin i undid res cap n as it released the pressure the engine ran smooth again n the return pipe fill the res bak up? since then its been getin worse to the point now i think its gona blow up its so clonky on tickover had to top up more an more but theres no sign ov a water leak? also took thermostat out did look stuck shut but only helpd for a short time, no cream in oil but that about as much as i know about checkin for the dreaded headgasket!!! i would realy be thankfull for advice n willin to trade for buildin an renovation advice lol cheers :(

L

·
0 Posts
Is there any sign of a thin film on the water surface?

It sounds like the head gasket may be split between the cylinder and the water jacket, this won't make the oil cap go creamy.

Do you notice a lot of steam coming from the exhaust?

There are two ways to test, either with a pressure test on the cooling system, or with a compression test on the cylinders.

But I would suspect head gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'l check the water out but yea now i think about it think iv noticed it a bit steamy out the backend!!

i did hav a feeling it prob was,cheers for your time tho mate

i dont spose u guys could point me in the right direction for the bit's i'd need n probs i might face takin it on as [wanna be mecanic] lol

thanks again guys brill forum!

L

·
0 Posts
Just get hold of a Haynes, they are nothing like as informative as they used to be, but will describe how to do a job like that.

If the tests are carried out and it is indeed the head gasket, you just need a head gasket kit, any special tools required will be detailed in the Haynes, and so long as it's not overheated you should get away with not having to get the head skimmed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im hopin the heads ok never over heated once jus starting to go slightly above norm so havent used it since mite hav to risk it to get the parts tho!

thanks mates haynes it is sound!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts