Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the nightmare of the dreaded Scenic we are looking for a new car.

I have always loved the Golf, I am looking at a 1.4, 2001, seems ok on fuel and tax is £150 a year which is ok, only done 40k miles, full service history its a steal.....or too good to be true?? Hummm:crazy:

I have heard tho the 1.4 is too small for the size of the golf, anyone had any trouble with a Golf, even a 1.4 Golf?

I know VW's are supposed to be made of tough stuff, so heres hoping!!! lol

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it's the 16 valve engine then the ignition coils are a pretty common failure,they aren't expensive to replace though.I have seen a cambelt idler break up on one too,but I'm not sure if thats a common occurance.

They definately don't live up to their supposed legendary German reliablity but there are far worse cars out there to be considering.:)

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
This is what HJ has to say on the Golf. Probably still a better bet than a Scenic.:)
"Huge number of quality problems in direct contradiction to "Few things in life are as reliable as a Volkswagen" slogan, Ford Focus is better to drive."
"1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines have plastic timing belt pulleys which can shatter after about 40,000 miles, throwing off the belt, now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens. (Led to advice from VAG to change timing belts and tensioners and pulleys at 4 years or 40k miles). Alarming number of water pump failures on 1.4s leading to timing belt failure as early as 4 years and 37,000 miles."

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Forget the golf and go for a 1999 - 2003 scenic 1.6 16v with the K4M engine. In my opionion one of the best engines renault have ever made. This generation of scenic is tough, well built and will outlast any golf.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The MK4 Golf is a very heavy car for it's size and the 1.4 is a small engine. There's a reason it has low mileage, it will be quite slow, best opting as someone has said for the 1.9 diesel.

They did a TDI and SDI the SDI will be slower but will be cheaper and possibly available in alower mileages the TDI will be high milers, alternatively there were 1.6 and 1.8 petrols I think.

Why did you have a Scenic if you could do with a Golf now anyway?

If you just need a 5 door small family car that isn't an mpv get the mk1 phase 2 megane a great car you can pick up low mileage versions still and the car is much lighter than a Golf by almost 500kg and so the 1.4ltr 16v engine is more than capable. I love mine so much I bought a second, see my garage.
Plus you can pick up a low mileage 40-60K, 2000-2002 example for circa £1500 even with FSH if you look hard. A 1.4ltr 2001 -02 model will be £150 tax get a 2000 plate and its £125 tax per year, 42 mpg. It's a great little car, if my wife would let me I would have one more in storage for the future like a good pair of shoes find one pair you like and buy many for the future : ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts