Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a renault magane 1,5dci and the bottom end bearing has gone and renault are telling me im looking at a new engine at a cost of £3800. as the car is 3 and a half years old renault dont want to know. but 3 different garages have told me that engine suffers from weak con rods which would do the bearing. Im just trying to find out how common this is so i can go back to renault, If anyone else has had this problem i would like to hear from you . Thanks john

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
There have been been very few reported big end problems reported on here with the 1.5dci.
Plenty of EGR and sticking ring problems but not crankshafts or conrods. If your car has a full Renault service history contact Renault customer services. Even if the servicing has been partly done by an independent garage using renault parts you might still expect a sympathetic hearing.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I recall reading that the pistons and con rods had to be uprated for the 100bhp+ variants of the 1.5dCi, which suggests that the standard components are close to their operating limits on, say, the 80bhp unit.

It could be down to bad luck, or it could be that yourself or a previous owner has had a remap or fitted a tuning box that has taken the power output past the safe limit for the standard components.

If the car has a full dealer (or VAT registered independent) service history then I'd still badger Renault Customer Services about it. They've been known to change their minds if you're sufficiently persistent. If you don't have the service history, then you're probably on your own :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts