Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Kangoo mk1 1.5 dci (132,000 miles), yesterday I noticed a knocking sound from the engine, it only seems to do it in bouts of 12, 12 knocks in time, then stop, a few seconds later do it again. Also I will sometimes feel vibrations through the car when it knocks. The car seems to run fine with plenty of power and good economy. I will upload a vid of it soon, but I am just really worried about it as I need it for work and spent all my money buying the thing.

Brian.:frown2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,040 Posts
As only just bought and if from a dealer, get it straight back to them and ask them to sort it.

As for the knock, we could all take guesses but really need to hear it to have any chance of identifying.

Apart from the video, see if you can narrow down the area it is coming from?
A long screwdriver pressed to ear and engine makes a useful stethoscope. Careful with moving parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had a thought, two days ago I put some expensive diesel in by mistake, could this be causing it? It's only been happening since then. And as it doesn't do it all the time surely this makes sense, but what do I do? Will it damage my engine?

EDIT: I just took it for a drive to warm it up as it wasn't knocking cold, but it never made a sound. I have 2 months left on the warranty (not main dealer), if it is something bad, I want it to go sooner rather than later. But as the garage is a very long way away, I'd have to take it local to get it looked at. While I was out I checked the Diesel I put in, Jet Sentinel Diesel (bs en 590).

As only just bought and if from a dealer, get it straight back to them and ask them to sort it.

As for the knock, we could all take guesses but really need to hear it to have any chance of identifying.

A long screwdriver pressed to ear and engine makes a useful stethoscope. Careful with moving parts.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
Is it a diesel knock,,

when it happens, have a look out the back ( if possible for smoke )

Might have a sticking injector , and this is not working, and the sound you hear is an empty cylinder filled with air,
Air is still forced in and then compressed, and makes a terrible knock...

Would not think expensive fuel would cause it, more chance that the car has stood a while and now wants opening up at different stages of rpm to clean the sticking injector

With that above warning in mind.
Dont go thrapping it, but slowly build the revs up, and hold, then slightly higher on the revs and hold, should not need to go above 3500 rpm, DONT red line it,,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked for smoke yet, I will look next time. Also, I don't use it for about 2-4 days at a time, plus it's been sitting on a forecourt for a while before I bought it.

Thanks.

Is it a diesel knock,,

when it happens, have a look out the back ( if possible for smoke )

Might have a sticking injector , and this is not working, and the sound you hear is an empty cylinder filled with air,
Air is still forced in and then compressed, and makes a terrible knock...

Would not think expensive fuel would cause it, more chance that the car has stood a while and now wants opening up at different stages of rpm to clean the sticking injector

With that above warning in mind.
Dont go thrapping it, but slowly build the revs up, and hold, then slightly higher on the revs and hold, should not need to go above 3500 rpm, DONT red line it,,

·
37,764 Posts
Sounds like a sticky injector, tends to happen if the car has stood a while..
You really do need to drive it steady at different rpm's
and hold at each level of rpm.
Might even work sitting in the car, and holding at 2500 rpm for a few minutes..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the video, you'll notice it vibrating when it knocks.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
37,764 Posts
Will have to watch later ( wife is watching telly and goes in one )
Yes I am scared of her, have you seen her, you would be too.. :|

:grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something new happened today on a cold engine. It sounded like the engine moaned after coming off the throttle....turbo?

·
37,764 Posts
it does sound like its dropping down on cylinders..
Can you monitor RPM inside when it happens again.
give figures when stable, and figures when the issue starts..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok mate, I've made a vid of the rev counter, and also added a pic of my warranty, (does it look like this problem may be covered?), I only bought the car two weeks ago. Would you say I should get it to a garage quickly?

https://imgur.com/gallery/mDP2TS9

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

it does sound like its dropping down on cylinders..
Can you monitor RPM inside when it happens again.
give figures when stable, and figures when the issue starts..

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I would get it to the garage pronto ................. not an expert in UK law practices and guarantee covers, but to me that sounds like a disaster in the making .............. I would stop driving it till it can be determined what exactly creates the knock/tick

·
37,764 Posts
Agree with @LvR here, get it back to the dealer you had it from..
Use the warranty thats what you have paid for

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,391 Posts
agree with others get it back to the dealer ,i have never heard anything like that before

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,563 Posts
I thought maybe sticking valve but that would be more regular, could it be the cambelt or aux belt is shredding?
If it was a defective injector this would be evidenced by puffs of exhaust smoke as Stuart suggests. Best,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw a fair amount of smoke as I accelerated yesterday, also sometimes when I ask for more power, I get nothing. 70 ish on the motorway, if I put my foot down most of the time I will get nothing, but yesterday I was driving at 85 without even meaning too, and there was plenty of motorway power, I thought it was just because it is a 1.5d and was gutless. It very rarely does it around town also. I had a Rover years ago that did the same and that needed an ECU.

I thought maybe sticking valve but that would be more regular, could it be the cambelt or aux belt is shredding?
If it was a defective injector this would be evidenced by puffs of exhaust smoke as Stuart suggests. Best,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts