Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So following from my previous thread, the dpf blockage killed the turbo so I've ordered a new core. Because of that, it drank the fresh shell helix ultra id put in only a week before. So once new core is in I'm going to do another oil change.
Do I need to go for 5w30 c4 again or is there a better recommendation for a k9k engine without DPF and EGR? As I understand it the c4 is low Ash and saps, better for a DPF car. But now I've had those deleted I'm wondering if a better viscosity oil would be better or if I should stick to the OEM spec. Thanks
Edit: for a mk1 dacia duster 1.5 dci 4x4 110.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all. So following from my previous thread, the dpf blockage killed the turbo so I've ordered a new core. Because of that, it drank the fresh shell helix ultra id put in only a week before. So once new core is in I'm going to do another oil change.
Do I need to go for 5w30 c4 again or is there a better recommendation for a k9k engine without DPF and EGR? As I understand it the c4 is low Ash and saps, better for a DPF car. But now I've had those deleted I'm wondering if a better viscosity oil would be better or if I should stick to the OEM spec. Thanks
Hi,

As you've had the DPF removed, your now open to more options in terms of engine oil, you don't need to correspond with the low ash oils as it won't have any DPF to flow through.

5w30 Engine Oil | Cars, Vans | Opie Oils

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

If you find the Dacia burns a drop of oil i.e. 1 Litre per 1000 miles or so then go for a 5W40, this then allows the oil to be more stable and reduce any oil consumption.

Regards,
Jack

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did that company blank your EGR off and remove your DPF? Just intrigued as I was once looking into this.

I hate the EGR system with a passion. Don't mention the expensive DPF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did that company blank your EGR off and remove your DPF? Just intrigued as I was once looking into this.

I hate the EGR system with a passion. Don't mention the expensive DPF.
Yeah I paid for the EGR and DPF removal and remap which deleted them. Was a very reasonable price too to be fair, he knocked some money off the bill due to my turbo being goosed as a goodwill gesture.

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
4,828 Posts
Oil and DPF .................... hmmmmm

Think you should realize there may be a CAT involved too - and on these engines, its integrated with the DPF.

So the question on oil quality will be more relevant ito protecting the cat if fitted ................ and on a diesel its probably good practice to NOT tempt fate and kill/pollute the CAT by using the wrong oil ............... I'd still be using what was spec'd for the particular engine model.

Another question:

No use "mapping" the DPF out if its known mechanical flow restriction/obstruction is left in the exhaust ................................ so was the DPF mechanically gutted or cut out in your modification? .................

What is your exact model number on the vehicle?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil and DPF .................... hmmmmm

Think you should realize there may be a CAT involved too - and on these engines, its integrated with the DPF.

So the question on oil quality will be more relevant ito protecting the cat if fitted ................ and on a diesel its probably good practice to NOT tempt fate and kill/pollute the CAT by using the wrong oil ............... Id still be using what was spec'd for the particular engine model.

Another question:

No use "mapping" the DPF out if its known mechanical flow restriction/obstruction is left in the exhaust ................................ so was the DPF mechanically gutted or cut out in your modification? .................
Dpf was gutted. Left physically (empty) in place for MOT purposes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

As you've had the DPF removed, your now open to more options in terms of engine oil, you don't need to correspond with the low ash oils as it won't have any DPF to flow through.

5w30 Engine Oil | Cars, Vans | Opie Oils

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

If you find the Dacia burns a drop of oil i.e. 1 Litre per 1000 miles or so then go for a 5W40, this then allows the oil to be more stable and reduce any oil consumption.

Regards,
Jack
seeing as with the turbo dying and DPF failure, it had went through a lot of oil, id be tempted to go for the higher viscosity at 5w40 to start off with. I assume you are a rep for Opie Oils (who i have used in the past tbf) im assuming any orders would mean delivery for next week now? Sad as I will likely have to go to ECP for it then so I can get it running again over the weekend.

From a quick look, I can get either: Shell Helix 5W-40 HX8 ECT C3 or Mobil Super 3000 5w40 X1 for the same price. in your opinion, which one would you go for? if those are the ones I should be looking at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So other than the turbo on its way out. No problems so far since the delete?
I havent had a chance to properly drive it yet tbh. I drove it home smoking like a ***** and parked it up while my turbo was being delivered. turned up today so the goal is to get it on over the weekend and get fresh oil and filters in and take it for a run out and see how it is. Knowing my luck, something else will crop up, and no doubt bring me back here...

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,911 Posts
Dpf was gutted. Left physically (empty) in place for MOT purposes.
It should fail the MoT, but regardless, presumably you're aware it's illegal to drive a vehicle in that condition and have no qualms about the twenty-fold increase in particulates you are emitting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil wise - went for the shell helix 5w40 hx8 as I could get guaranteed next day delivery for a fee, £40 all in for 2 5L bottles. Will see how that goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So other than the turbo on its way out. No problems so far since the delete?
Thought I'd give an update - running great since sorting the turbo. Definitely pulls better due to the remap and there isn't a noticeable amount of smoke when you boot it either as you'd expect there to be with a DPF and EGR delete. Very happy overall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts